Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[WORKING] Asus P8Z77-V: NVMe BOOT Suppor...
Last Post: 0nlythebest
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 22799
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 & SL500 ...
Last Post: ivan333bor
Yesterday 04:54 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 6780
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 02:50 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 81
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Yesterday 02:48 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 330
[REQUEST] DNS A35FB, Pegatron A35
Last Post: Polkash51
Yesterday 01:28 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2844
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MANIANA18
Yesterday 07:20 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 22024
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Yesterday 12:22 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 184
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
04-18-2024 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26136
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 145
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 129
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6232
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220163
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 204
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 198
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98841
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24121
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324799
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1087
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad P14s 3rd Gen 1...
04-16-2024 07:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 353
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: pashtet440
04-16-2024 06:56 AM
» Views: 181

MSI Z77A-G45 bios broken - Replace bios chip?
Hi there I seem to have bricked my motherboard. 
I tried to update the bios with a usb-stick because the liveupdate thingy from msi wouldn't do it. 
Via usb didnt work either so I went exploring in the settings and I think (not very experienced with bios in general) i changed the bios to boot form the usb. To clarify, no not boot the OS from usb but boot the bios from usb. After I restarted the pc it didn't post anymore and rebooted every 10 sec or so. I tried resetting the CMOS by jumping the pins and taking out the battery but it still does this. 
My question is will putting in a new bios chip fix the problem? Or can i bin my motherboard?

Thanks for your help
find
You can either replace the chip, not ideal solution due to desoldering of lead free solder required, or purchase a CH341A + SOIC8 test clip w/ cable and reprogram the BIOS (this is easy and cost less than $7 total)

Here is cheap examples of what you need (3-5 week delivery at these prices), but you can order from other places that ship faster or that are closer to you for more $$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

I've never heard of boot BIOS to USB, can you show me any thread or documentation on this? If it's a real thing, sounds like you just need to get a correctly made USB with your BIOS on it and it may boot, but again I've never heard of this being a thing, only recover BIOS from USB possibly or similar things on USB
find
(07-02-2019, 02:32 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: You can either replace the chip, not ideal solution due to desoldering of lead free solder required, or purchase a CH341A + SOIC8 test clip w/ cable and reprogram the BIOS (this is easy and cost less than $7 total)

Here is cheap examples of what you need (3-5 week delivery at these prices), but you can order from other places that ship faster or that are closer to you for more $$
https://www.ebay.com/itm/201316582787
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382486015977

I've never heard of boot BIOS to USB, can you show me any thread or documentation on this?  If it's a real thing, sounds like you just need to get a correctly made USB with your BIOS on it and it may boot, but again I've never heard of this being a thing, only recover BIOS from USB possibly or similar things on USB

Alright thank you i will buy one of these then i think, sadly i dont exactly remember which setting i changed but to me it sounded as if the bios would boot from usb. As i was unable to create a proper bios usb to update my bios i am uncertain if that would ever have been an option though.. I wasn't able to find anything on this online, hence my post (usually i try to find solutions myself). When I get the board running again i will look for the setting and post an update.
find

Quick update the motherboard does support booting the bios from a usb, but it seems it needs some kind of backup file. I am trying to track down such a file but its looking grimm.
find
Nice! OK, try this, copy BIOS files as named below to the root (not in folder) of a small USB (128MB-2GB), formatted to FAT32 using windows right click / quick format option. Try all USB ports on rear of board.

Extract BIOS from here - http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7752v2C.zip
One copy named default name - E7752IMS.2C0
Another copy named - E7752IMS.bin

Sadly, with those two options on top, it does sound like you could enable "BIOS Boot function" and then not select anything, and then it would be lost possibly with no selected file it may not scan for one. Hopefully it scans by default
find
So all my efforts with the usb stick were fruitless. But today my ch341a programmer thingy  arrived and i got it working and succesfully deleted the corrupt bios. But when i try to flash a new bios on there it spits out "Write operations timeout failed" :/ I have googled all day but couldnt find a solution. The programmer software doesnt have the specific chip as an option btw, could that be the issue? problem is i cant find any working alternatives to the one i have. Its really strange as the programmer can read the chip (it detected data on there before i deleted it and countinues to confirm that the chip is empty) but is unable to programm it. 
Im really puzzled
find
Send me your initial backup, hopefully you made this! There is a reason you go slow here, and don't erase chip until it's time, you have to find a proper working version of the software before you erase chip so you know the write will work properly. Whatever version you are using now is not working, or the chip ID you are using is not correct one (correct one is not always one to use either).

What is your chip ID? Write operation timeout failed?
What software are you using and what version? Does it detect your chip when you click detect?

Slow down, maybe you'll get lucky and it's not erased yet either, especially if you did not make a backup!
The BIOS was not corrupt, you needed one by changed from a 01 to 00, or 00 to 01, to undue the setting change you made, that was all that needed done here. Hopefully you've not erased the chip, or we'll have to hopefully find your serial on the board stickers, LAN MAC ID on the board stickers or near/on the LAN Port, and fix all that in a BIOS for you to flash in. Original NVRAM volumes x2 will be lost, and cannot be recovered Sad
find
Stupidly i didnt make a backup as i was very optimistic that the programmer would work and i didnt think ahead... i realized too that i only needded to change one bit but it was too late. i've tried several prgrammer softwares, some dont detect my chip, some do. Some dont even have is as an option for manual selection. Though all tell me the chip is empty and all tell me "write operation timeout failed" in varying progress on flashing. 
The motherboard is a MSI Z77Ma-G45 (typo) btw but i dont suppose thats very important (I've tried flashing using its bios not the z77a-g45's). 

There is a sticker on the lan port that says d43d7ef801a3.  Do you think a new bios chip would fix the issue? 
Thank you very much for your efforts.
find
You don't need new BIOS chip. Please link me to the exact BIOS for your proper model and I will make you BIOS with that LAN in there

Erased still could be wrong, since nothing you are trying is letting you write, still could be incorrectly attached, not attached at all properly so no detecting correctly, or wrong version so it can't read properly. What is the BIOS ID and maybe I can tell you exact version that I know from testing works properly for that chip?
find
https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77MAG45 this is where you can get the bios from. I am getting a different behaviour when i change the orientation of the clip. It only lets me read it in one orientation. Also one of the programmer softwares i tried goes to 100% when flashing and then spits out the error (that is the one that doesnt even have the propper chip in the options) every other one i tried gave me the error right at the beginning. I tried copying the library of one of the softwares that detect my chip to the one that does some process, because i thought it might fail due to the fact ,that it thinks its programming another chip (with a similar name)., but with the other softwares library it detects my chip properly but gives me a different error message and wont even let me start the flashing process. 

Im not sure what the BIOS ID is but the chips is a "mxic mx25l6406e" is that what you asked for? 
Thanks again for your efforts Smile
find