Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:50 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 45
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Today 02:48 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 245
[REQUEST] DNS A35FB, Pegatron A35
Last Post: Polkash51
Today 01:28 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2821
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MANIANA18
Today 07:20 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 22005
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 153
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
Yesterday 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26124
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 130
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 116
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6215
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220097
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 194
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Views: 182
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98764
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24110
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324695
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1069
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad P14s 3rd Gen 1...
04-16-2024 07:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 345
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: pashtet440
04-16-2024 06:56 AM
» Views: 168
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
04-14-2024 09:02 AM
» Replies: 1733
» Views: 542664
Dell Latitude 5520 - get to know passwor...
Last Post: yeti1299
04-14-2024 06:48 AM
» Views: 272

Mission Impossible??
Thanks, I only wondered what happened, how it acted etc. So, you can't confirm the device works on any other system then? If not, how do you know it's not DOA?
find
(03-02-2019, 01:20 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Thanks, I only wondered what happened, how it acted etc.  So, you can't confirm the device works on any other system then?  If not, how do you know it's not DOA?

It's not a "dead-on-arrival", for sure. When I bought this and picked it up from seller, he showed me with his sony laptop and that was immediately detected and ran with it, with blu ray, and also connected it with another external monitor. It ran with no problem. 

Speaking from a regular case, all external stuff, requires the OS compatibility (good), USB connection (good), hardware (good), driver(s) (good), power (good),....so the ONLY thing I can think of ( sorry, i am level 101 here), will be the BIOS and/ or drivers ( .INF file !?) that need modification.

Usually,  a basic video graphics card (the small one) + better video graphics card (in my case, both soldered on and running on the motherboard. And i notice the basic one on my laptop's motherboard Intel is NOT the same one on others Sony Z-series or S-series (although also Intel).
find
Can you link me to the driver package you're supposed to use, maybe I can see something in there that's stopping it.
It may only work with certain Intel GPU's, does it work "With" the onboard GPU, or do you know?
find
(03-03-2019, 11:26 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Can you link me to the driver package you're supposed to use, maybe I can see something in there that's stopping it.
It may only work with certain Intel GPU's, does it work "With" the onboard GPU, or do you know?

The AMD called :
-HD 7670M (when Sony laptop VPC-Z2190X / Z-series is connected)  and 
-HD 6650M (when Sony laptop SVZ-131190X / S-series is connected. 

Although 2 different model#, they are the same, I was told. 

From Sony website direct download for OEM driver:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support...s/W0007709

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support...ws_7_64bit

Also: From AMD official website:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/...n-hd-7670m

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/...n-hd-6650m
find
The AMD Links are normal AMD graphics drivers, so unrelated to the device.

Which of the Sony links are directly, and only for that device? It looks like also none to me, first link is graphics driver same as AMD provides and second link is just general link to downloads for all drivers etc.

Please link me to the details/overview page for this device, or give me it's exact full model name/# and I will look it up.

IN general, for AMD driver to install, a device must be present. So this needs to be detected at the basic hardware level first before you can install any drivers for it. And it should be showing up in device manager no matter what, even if it's never going to work it should appear there with a yellow bang and saying unknown device or device can't start etc. Since it doesn't show up at all, that is why I asked if you can confirm it's working on some other system. Try other desktops or laptops. Just because it worked once before does not mean it's working now, it could have died as soon as you unplugged it the day you saw it working.
find
(03-05-2019, 12:13 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: The AMD Links are normal AMD graphics drivers, so unrelated to the device.  

Which of the Sony links are directly, and only for that device?  It looks like also none to me, first link is graphics driver same as AMD provides and second link is just general link to downloads for all drivers etc.

Please link me to the details/overview page for this device, or give me it's exact full model name/# and I will look it up.

IN general, for AMD driver to install, a device must be present.  So this needs to be detected at the basic hardware level first before you can install any drivers for it.  And it should be showing up in device manager no matter what, even if it's never going to work it should appear there with a  yellow bang and saying unknown device or device can't start etc.  Since it doesn't show up at all, that is why I asked if you can confirm it's working on some other system.  Try other desktops or laptops.  Just because it worked once before does not mean it's working now, it could have died as soon as you unplugged it the day you saw it working.

Hello Lost_N_BIOS, 

If you just flip back to page 1 of my posting (see the first 2 photos), you will get the spec's info, the model # is VGP-PRZ20A

I searched thru sony website and asked their forum moderators, they don't have the stand-alone driver but rather in combo within their download video driver section. 

Sorry about the second Sony's link , here : As 

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support...#downloads

As you can see and notice, they made it combo with Intel HD graphics 4000, but in my laptop, it's a small intel + Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT (which Nvidia is dying ). 

I understand what you said, I can power it ON, and put a DVD disc inside, light will be ON, but device manager still cannot detected it, this is exactly the reason why I believe, either the existing BIOS and/or the Sony OEM driver (. INF ) that's needed to be modified in order to get it detected, or "unblocked" may be a better description. 

Thanks ,
find
Link again is to Intel or AMD drivers only, and nothing specific to any device, all the PDF/Manuals are also in general for your system not this device itself, so all no help. I found the device at Sony and no downloads for it are given, only PDF's, such as https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/suppo...51997M.pdf
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/suppo...0a#manuals

Light on does not mean working, bricked motherboards still have lights come on, so that is not a sign to me it's working and just blocked that simply means power is getting to it. I still think, even if not compatible and never going to work, it should show up as a device in device manager, try right clicking in there and check show hidden devices and see if it's showed up hidden while also disabled/failed to start etc. So nothing inside display adapters when you expand it?

I found this, so if you are using Win8-Win10 that could be the issue
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...c55f13d2d8

Notice the message about 3/4ths down
Sony is not providing any driver to this docking.

"Power Media Dock accessory is designed for use with Windows® 7 and will not function properly when used with Windows 8." http://store.sony.com/p/VAIO-Z-Series-La...GPPRZ20A/B

Towards the end someone said they got it working on Win8, but with steps in a link that no longer works Sad

And yes, you should already have the Nvidia and Intel drivers installed, this would be the norm for your system even without this device. But, since this is AMD and Nvidia is dying, you'll have to try to uninstall NVidia one and see if it will let you install AMD one, whichever is the correct one (can't be both of the above, those are two very different series) I think it should be the 6650M one

Did you test with Genius239 BIOS yet? The key may be BIOS as you thought all along, especially since there is no device specific drivers for this.
find
(03-06-2019, 11:49 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Link again is to Intel or AMD drivers only, and nothing specific to any device, all the PDF/Manuals are also in general for your system not this device itself, so all no help.  I found the device at Sony and no downloads for it are given, only PDF's, such as https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/suppo...51997M.pdf
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/suppo...0a#manuals

Light on does not mean working, bricked motherboards still have lights come on, so that is not a sign to me it's working and just blocked that simply means power is getting to it.  I still think, even if not compatible and never going to work, it should show up as a device in device manager, try right clicking in there and check show hidden devices and see if it's showed up hidden while also disabled/failed to start etc.  So nothing inside display adapters when you expand it?

I found this, so if you are using Win8-Win10 that could be the issue
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...c55f13d2d8

Notice the message about 3/4ths down
Sony is not providing any driver to this docking.

"Power Media Dock accessory is designed for use with Windows® 7 and will not function properly when used with Windows 8."  http://store.sony.com/p/VAIO-Z-Series-La...GPPRZ20A/B  

Towards the end someone said they got it working on Win8, but with steps in a link that no longer works Sad

And yes, you should already have the Nvidia and Intel drivers installed, this would be the norm for your system even without this device.  But, since this is AMD and Nvidia is dying, you'll have to try to uninstall NVidia one and see if it will let you install AMD one, whichever is the correct one (can't be both of the above, those are two very different series)  I think it should be the 6650M one

Did you test with Genius239 BIOS yet?  The key may be BIOS as you thought all along, especially since there is no device specific drivers for this.

Yes, you are correct in saying, Sony does not have a specific page exclusively just for the VGP-PRZ20 driver's download. Otherwise, it would be easier. 

According to Sony moderators, it's in Combo just the way they provided those links. 

FYI, I am using Windows 7 Pro, 64 bits clean installation. The VGP-PRZ20 according to sony works for both Win7 or 8. And they said if the Windows 10 was installed via the "Upgrade" instead of "clean install, should also works on Windows 10 as well. 

In my case, OEM OS was Vista 32 bits, clean installed for Windows 7Pro 64 bits, but since the laptop was NOT originally including this external graphics card. I am NOT worrying about any missing component drivers/software. 

Nothing further for device in "expand"--Device Manager as the photo was shown at the beginning page. I will try to once again do the installation of each drivers and perhaps use my cell phone to video record so that you can see...may be later tonight...

Did I test with Genius239 BIOS yet? .....No,...Where is it?? And how do I go by doing it?? Thank you so much Man,....
find
I saw your thread with their lame, uninformative, unhelpful reply Sad Do you know if those replies are from Sony or end users helping?
I believe that would be the expected reply though, since they only want it used with their hardware, but since you are using it with their hardware they should have given you a better, more informative reply if that is Sony employees replying.

In device manager, I meant you need to expand "Display Adapters" to see if you see it inside there. No need for a video

Genius239 posted a BIOS for you with newly added graphics settings back on page 2 several days ago, post #18

You can try flashing via AFUWin that's included with the stock BIOS package, but it may not let you due to modified BIOS
Here is the command you would use >> AFUWIN biosname.rom /P /B /N /E
Here is the stock package extracted contents, put mod BIOS in there and run command above from command prompt at the folder location
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...9562371087

Do not run flash.bat, unless you remove or replace R1130Y1.ROM with your mod rom instead, since this is the stock BIOS
You can run flash.bat if you delete/move this original R1130Y1.ROM and replace it with Genius239 BIOS renamed to R1130Y1.ROM
find
(03-06-2019, 10:48 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: I saw your thread with their lame, uninformative, unhelpful reply Sad  Do you know if those replies are from Sony or end users helping?
I believe that would be the expected reply though, since they only want it used with their hardware, but since you are using it with their hardware they should have given you a better, more informative reply if that is Sony employees replying.

In device manager, I meant you need to expand "Display Adapters" to see if you see it inside there.  No need for a video

Genius239 posted a BIOS for you with newly added graphics settings back on page 2 several days ago, post #18

You can try flashing via AFUWin that's included with the stock BIOS package, but it may not let you due to modified BIOS
Here is the command you would use >> AFUWIN biosname.rom /P /B /N /E
Here is the stock package extracted contents, put mod BIOS in there and run command above from command prompt at the folder location
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...9562371087

Do not run flash.bat, unless you remove or replace R1130Y1.ROM with your mod rom instead, since this is the stock BIOS
You can run flash.bat if you delete/move this original R1130Y1.ROM and replace it with Genius239 BIOS renamed to R1130Y1.ROM

Sorry for the delay, i had to do a few things after the funeral for auntie's family. I apologize, once again. 

[Image: vh7x34.jpg]

As you can see, on my device manager-- it cannot be detected. Here are also a few explanations:

-OEM Nvidia driver from Sony cannot be installed back again, stating the OEM driver only works with 32 bits Vista Ultimate. As I mentioned, i did a clean installation of Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Either it is the reason or Nvidia is dying, thus it says : "Standard VGA..."

-Since the Nvidia is dying, it would not making any sense for me to re-install the Windows Vista 32 bits using Sony recovery DVD set, + Upgrade to windows 7 32 bits, simply for the Nvidia driver can be installed back ! Besides, 64 bits is better than 32 bits OS. 

-I also tried the installation from Nvidia official website directly, and after the modification of .inf file, it was installed. And i was happy for 20 seconds, then BSOD came upon Restarts, it was a disaster. Took me some time to bring the computer back in working condition. So I am not interested in Nvidia driver. 

I did the installation of driver for AMD--2 drivers, from both sony as the way they did and also from AMD ( catalyst software suite + crimson edition), all said installation completed successfully, but still cannot detect the VGP-PRZ20.....

I really need yr help on flashing via AFUWin, as this will be my first time doing it, any youtube video available ?

Million thanks,
find