Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6403
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14038
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 138
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424551
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3654
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 323
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 342
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224788
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119206
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 299
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6815
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 437
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309813
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62001
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 655
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20314
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169429
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6386
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 860

NOOB ISO Help Inspiron 1501 / Remove (shutoff) Computrace from BIOS
#1
Hi everyone,

I know my way around a 'puter a little bit. But I'm a total newb at BIOS modification.

Here's my problem:
A few years ago (before we got together) my girl bought an AMD based Dell Inspiron 1501 with Phoenix BIOS and Vista. She thought that having Lo-Jack on it would be a good idea. Well, she was wrong.

Over the last several years I've had to reformat her system constantly because it keeps getting re-infected with every form of crap there is on the net.

I've been on XP since it came out and I have a ton of tools for it. I can't program at all, but if someone makes the tool I can use it. (And my XP system is very secure, I never get infected.) I got tired of messing around, so I rolled her system back to XP and using my tools and some research on the net I found that the problem is that Dell has used a chip on the motherboard made by Advantage to insert a rootkit in to any Windows install on the system. The rootkit hides the rpcnetp service.

I've tried every work-around that I've found on the net to no avail. Evidently just terminating the Window's Service that the Computrace software inserts in to the registry is not enough. I believe that the holes the rootkit creates in the registry allows other bad stuff in and gives it a hiding place. (Like that thing with the Sony CD's a few years back.)

So, after the most recent reformat (after I used the work around to disable the service) I manually dug through the registry and removed all references to rpcnetp. At which point the system suffered a crash I could not repair. It wouldn't even boot the OS.

So, I guess my only option is to remove / turn off Computrace from the BIOS. But, there's no option to do that. And even the folks at Advantage have told me that they cannot dial in and turn off the Computrace service.

I've dug through this site and a lot of others. But I'm still not certain what the solution to this problem is or how to do it if there is one.

The simplest solution for me would be if someone has re-written a BIOS executable that I can use to re-flash the BIOS with a version that will allow me to turn off Computrace.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And before I get flamed here like I did at a couple of other places that I've asked for help: The tech at Advantage CONFIRMED that their chip inserts a rootkit in to the system.)
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)