Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
ASROCK A520M-HVS
Last Post: pcbird
Today 11:18 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 231
Unlock pci-e 4.0 on my mobo
Today 11:06 AM
» Views: 41
insane ideas [q170 -> h110,b250,z370 cro...
Today 11:02 AM
» Views: 345
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: victorgbrmrr
Today 10:10 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 33
[Request] Asus H110M-R Mainboard - Xeon ...
Last Post: Brutoloco
Today 09:32 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 1304
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 09:25 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 199
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MANIANA18
Today 07:20 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 21978
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 12:22 AM
» Views: 136
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
Yesterday 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26113
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Views: 127
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 113
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6208
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220074
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 192
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 175
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98724
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24105
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324548
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1047
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad P14s 3rd Gen 1...
04-16-2024 07:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 334

Packard Bell EasyNote S4
Its a Packard Bell Easy Note S4 (1,7Ghz, 1GB RAM, 128MB intel 915GM graphics) using Win 8.1 Pro.

Its curerent BIOS was 3A12 and I found 3A14 via google.

While still flashing it always said "Flash complete" in the lower part of the screen and kept beeping.

As it had an "older" version of phlash16.exe I did not dare to try a newer version.

There was a batch file included with the original boot-disk :
http://pastebin.com/BUgqZJE0

But I just flashed using "PHLASH16 /S /V K2WQ3A14.DC3"

I even renamed the bios file to BIOS.WPH and flashed again just typing phlash16.exe

Same effect, it feels it wont reach the end of the flash procedure while saying "flash complete", while still flashing

After re-extracting the flashed BIOS it says 3A14, even the BIOS itself says so, so it seems to be complete.

Maybe older versions of phlash16.exe did not confirm with a "Restart Now" ?
From what I read it is not a good idea to use a different phlash16.exe, so I wont try that.

Still I wonder whats going on here, as the batch-file also mentions a KBC BIOS (keyboard) flash, "if it exists".

After "flashing", restarting, Win8.1 will show the "Hi, we are setting things up for you" screen again, but then continues the installed Win8.1 as usual. Never experienced this before wiht Win8.1 on "old" laptops.

Laptop works normal now, but maybe someone epeprienced something like this before ? Any info is welcome.

The original BIOS files can be found here :
(3A08 and 3A12)

http://driverscollection.com/?H=EasyNote%20S4%20series&By=Packard%20Bell&SS=BIOS

The newest is 3A14, which you can downlaod here (complete extracted bootdisk) :

http://d-h.st/kab

chillipig was so kind and shared a intel 915 vbios package :
hxxp://ul.to/vwn0hvue

Win 8.1 installed on it, which runs ok, but it wont let me install drivers for the intel 915GM graphics chip, as it is no longer supported.
Idea is to "mess" with the VBIOS file(s) or the BIOS itself, to mabye fake information or flash another, similar VBIOS...but thats only theory for now.

Thanks to chillipig I have the "SizeBIOS.exe" by intel, which indeed only seems to be there to change the size of the VBIOS. Im also looking for the (unreleased) intel tool "BMP utility" which was used to exchange the bitmap graphic in the BIOS and any other option to edit intel VBIOS files, other then hexediting.

I stumbled across this interesting blog :

http://gma500booster.blogspot.de/2013/02...-lets.html

In the end I wish for some kind of VBIOS "hack/patch" that would let me install any fitting GMA driver.
I followed those hacked/patched GMA drivers and none of them seem to be real or just wont work.

Of course any other possible unlock is welcome. Wink

For example these menuitems from a 1998 laptop ^^

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-S...5G-R0114R5
find
Hello Boost!

I will take a look at this tomorrow.

!!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!!! Our Ukrainian friends are undergoing atrocities right now and need support. There are two things you can do for starters:

1.) Donate to one of various organizations offering medical, military, and psychological support to those impacted: Support Organizations

2.) Combat misinformation on social media. 

Also, please feel free to PM me if I have not replied again about your BIOS mod request after 5 days.
www find
Hello Boost,

Sorry for the delays. I have been busy over the past few days.

There are some interesting settings in this BIOS image. For example, I found "Intel SpeedStep Technology." This setting is not present in most of the Phoenix BIOSes that I have modded. Another difference that I found was that in addition to the typical ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Control Sub-Menu, there was an APM (Advanced Power Management) Control Sub-Menu. This is also among the few BIOS images that I have seen Bluetooth settings in.

I am going to add the INTEL Menu to this BIOS image as well as customize the Main Menu. EDIT: The menus and settings are not linked... This would be extremely difficult and time-consuming to perform a complex mod on. If I were still on summer break, I may have taken the challenge, but I have to take care of school work and other BIOS mods.

I can still perform a simple mod as well as the Main Menu mod. Any existing settings can be easily added. I just do not have enough time to manually construct every menu and sub-menu to their proper locations for one BIOS image as well as all of their respective settings. If you make requests for specific settings, I can add them. I should have enough room for the easy (no restructuring required) addition of 83 items. I will probably construct the INTEL Menu without linking the settings under it and then add items as you request them. If you want to requests items (search for them with PBE emulator or by using a hex editor to view/search the STRINGS module), please make a text file with a list of all of the settings you want and upload it.

!!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!!! Our Ukrainian friends are undergoing atrocities right now and need support. There are two things you can do for starters:

1.) Donate to one of various organizations offering medical, military, and psychological support to those impacted: Support Organizations

2.) Combat misinformation on social media. 

Also, please feel free to PM me if I have not replied again about your BIOS mod request after 5 days.
www find
Heya, good to hear, but this laptop is no longer in my possession and I rarely visit the owner.
So I cant experiment with it anymore.
This can be put on ice for now. :/
find
Heya, sorry for a late revival. I once again have access to this laptop and also have another one (ASUS eee PC 900 XP), where I hope for some modifications of the VBIOS regarding Windows 8.1 / Win10. ^^
find