Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6369
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14010
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 112
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424499
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3626
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 295
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 212
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 315
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224630
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119179
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 278
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6793
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 418
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309748
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61975
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 630
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20286
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169379
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6357
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 833

[REQUEST] AHCI bios unlock for Gateway md2614u (Radeon HD3200 chipset)
#1
I've recently revived a Gateway md2614u laptop that turned out to need nothing more than a fan replacement to work.

But in this day and age of SSDs being standard for anybody but those needing lots of storage (and why would you want a ton of storage specifically on a 12 year old laptop?), having AHCI support is a must...and of course, the BIOS does not have this option despite having a Radeon HD3200 chipset. I also confirmed and tested that it's definitely configured to be running in "IDE mode".

So yeah, an AHCI bios unlock would be awesome, especially since it's sadly the fastest laptop I own with an HDMI port (my other laptops have DisplayPort, VGA, or no dedicated HDMI or DisplayPort port at all without the use of adapters, or have HDMI but with a slower lower-power CPU like the AMD E-350).


Navigating to where to download the BIOS is slightly a pain though as Gateway doesn't have a single product page I can link to.

Step 1 is to go here: https://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content...-downloads

Step 2: Under "Select my product from a list", click "Notebooks"

Step 3: Scroll down and select "MD Series"

Step 4: Clock "MD26"

Step 5" Scroll down and click "BIOS/Firmware"


And that's it - you can download any of the listed BIOS versions, including the latest "9A30b".

I do want to say one thing I had issues with: when I was updating the BIOS, I had to actually update it twice - first to 9A24 and then to 9A30b. BIOS 9A24 worked perfectly fine for few miniutes that I used it, but I had something weird happen with the fan on 9A30b initially - the first and second time when I had cold-booted into an existing Win7 installation from a different PC, the fan would not spin up despite me even second the CPU temp the second time it occurred and the CPU being at like 80C (rebooting fixed this).

I do not know if it's a bug with that BIOS or if was something with the fact that it was an OS installation from a different laptop (HP DM1 with a considerably newer AMD E-350), but I've never been able to replicate the issue at least when cold booting into a live Linux distro on a USB drive. For this reason it may be prudent to do the AHCI unlocking also for BIOS version 9A24 in case there really is some sort of bug with 9A30b.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)