Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3533
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 197
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 156
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 241
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223594
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119088
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 229
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6728
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 343
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309463
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61893
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 558
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20207
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169113
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6251
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 757
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5728
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61092
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274925
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 876

REQUEST (question maybe..) IBM xSeries 236 + xeon 7020(SL8UA)
#1
Hello, I wanted to ask, whether it's possible to add the microcode to the bios of a IBM server board. The original cpu from the board is SL7PF.

Server: IBM xSeries 236, PN:13N0859, MT-M: 8841-2AG, SN:KDPRZ44, productid 88412AG
MotherBoard: SN:13N0879, EC:H17596G
Original CPU: SL7PF, 3.2GHz, 800FSB, 1 core (step E0)

Wanted CPU: SL8UA, 2.6GHz, 668FSB, 2 core (step A0)

This seems to be the bios:

Code:
https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-57444

But I do now know, where to find microcode for the wanted chip.

Could you help me? Will it be possible? Can I supply any aditional information? Thank you very much for your effort.
(I have boxes of two of the wanted chips, the server has only one of the original chip inside)
find
quote
#2
Your system is based on E7525 chipset. This chipset supports legacy Xeons with FSB=800 Mhz only. So try these CPUs (CPU's list from Intel motherboard).
find
quote
#3
Ooooh that's a pity.. I have several 604 cpus, but they are all 667MHz. But thank you very much for the information.
So.. from what you sent.. do you think, I can put a 65nm CPU inside? Say xeon 7140M? In that case, I will probably need the microcode injection, right?
Thank you very much for your help.
find
quote
#4
No, you can use only legacy Xeons with Irwindale and Nocona cores.
You need a motherboard with E8500 or E8501 chipset to run your dual-core Xeons.
find
quote
#5
OK thank you very much. These are both just single cores with HT, as i see. So the best option would be to buy the same CPU I already have so I can have a pair.
Good, thank you very much for all your help.
find
quote
#6
(10-21-2015, 02:40 PM)B0D_Mr4ZU Wrote: OK thank you very much. These are both just single cores with HT, as i see. So the best option would be to buy the same CPU I already have so I can have a pair.
Good, thank you very much for all your help.

Actually that information isn't 100% accurate.  The Intel 7520 chipset (and the 7525) will work just fine with a dual Intel SL8MA (Paxville) CPU setup.  That's two cores, and 4 threads per processor, times two CPUs.

Even better for you, it's supported on the IBM Standard BIOS version for your machine (above "Version 1.06") available from IBM:
Flash BIOS Update (DOS Package) - IBM eServer xSeries 236


I've got an couple of servers running dual SL8MA CPUs in them and have been very happy with the performance!  It's not as good as an Intel 7140M CPU, but that one is not supported on the motherboard.
find
quote
#7
ChipInNC
Thanks! I forgot about legacy Xeons with Paxville DP (not MP) core. This core is a dual-core equivalent of the single-core Irwindale. The only one model was released - Xeon 2.80 GHz (SL8MA).
find
quote
#8
woooow, really guys?
That is a good news there! So ebay shopping time Big Grin I will buy two of these cpus then and try them. I want to use the server as a controller nod for small OpenStack environment so the cpus will help a lot.
One questions.. Can I use a VRM from one of the cpus I already have? (the SL8UA - 2xfull box , SL8UM - 2xfull box), the later one is also 90nm cpu. What do you think? (It is hard to find whole package with VRM and heatsink...)
Thank you so much!
find
quote
#9
Post part numbers of them.
find
quote
#10
sorry, ofcourse..
FRU 24R2691, DELTA P/N: D12S1R3130-1 AF, 11S24R2690ZJ1W9C6271HT 00M
FRU 74P4485, DELTA P/N: D12S1R3205 A, 11S74P4484ZJ1ZVD63R4JM 01
I have two of both.
Thank you.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)