Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[WORKING] Asus P8Z77-V: NVMe BOOT Suppor...
Last Post: 0nlythebest
Today 08:35 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 22795
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 & SL500 ...
Last Post: ivan333bor
Today 04:54 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 6778
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:50 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 75
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Today 02:48 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 315
[REQUEST] DNS A35FB, Pegatron A35
Last Post: Polkash51
Today 01:28 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2841
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MANIANA18
Today 07:20 AM
» Replies: 120
» Views: 22020
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Today 12:22 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 178
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
Yesterday 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26134
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 139
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 125
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6230
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220161
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 202
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 193
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98822
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24118
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324771
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1086
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad P14s 3rd Gen 1...
04-16-2024 07:26 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 352
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: pashtet440
04-16-2024 06:56 AM
» Views: 177

Request - ASRock X58 Extreme Thermal Bypass
Hello!  Big Grin

I've run a i7 920, Asrock X58 Extreme with 3x4GB Kingston bundle for nearly a decade. Decided to throw in a X5660. It needed a bios update. No problem! - until there was: 

As of version 1.7: 
1. Update CPU code.
2. Add thermal protect function.

After searching through the web a bit, i fell over a german site, which stated that the board will now shut down after the VRM's hit 70c. Sure enough, the board now shuts down right away after starting a stresstest. Even with my old i7 920 i've run for 8-9 years at 4GHz.  Dodgy

My thought's:
* Copy Xeon microcode from new BIOS and insert in old BIOS
* Raise thermal threshold to 105 in newest bios
* Feed static reading

What would you think is the simplest solution? 

My skills are very limited, not hopeless tho. If someone can do it, i won't mind  Heart - Otherwise, guidance towards which tools to use and how is much appreciated!
find
They added that for a reason, boards will/can burn up the VRM's, especially under a heavy AVX or other heavy stress load
I looked for the setting to possibly disable in the BIOS, but didn't notice anything that sounded familiar, do you know it's exact name other than thermal protection. There is thermal settings, but the usual Intel ones like CPU Thermal Throttling which you can see already, I didn't see any unusual ones. TDC and TDP settings look to be hidden from you, or they may not be adjustable (or both)

But, yes, it is as simple as you mentioned if you want to stick to the old version. Put in updated microcodes for your Xeon in the old BIOS, done Big Grin

What BIOS do you want, and I can do for you
find
(11-22-2018, 09:50 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: They added that for a reason, boards will/can burn up the VRM's, especially under a heavy AVX or other heavy stress load
I looked for the setting to possibly disable in the BIOS, but didn't notice anything that sounded familiar, do you know it's exact name other than thermal protection.  There is thermal settings, but the usual Intel ones like CPU Thermal Throttling which you can see already, I didn't see any unusual ones.  TDC and TDP settings look to be hidden from you, or they may not be adjustable (or both)

But, yes, it is as simple as you mentioned if you want to stick to the old version.  Put in updated microcodes for your Xeon in the old BIOS, done Big Grin

What BIOS do you want, and I can do for you

I know, years ago i've put a fan to actively cool the VRM's. It has been running fine for almost a decade  Tongue

I only know what has been described through the BIOS support page and the info i got from the german website. The german website did not specify how it has been implemented and neither dug through the BIOS. 

Well, 1.6 seems to be the newest addition before the thermal add. If you can add the microcode for a X5660 in the BIOS, it would be much appreciated! 

- Also, if it works, how can i show my gratitude other than saying thanks?  Smile  

Link for the BIOS:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X58%20Ex...x.asp#BIOS
find
OK, here is 1.6 with X5660 microcode updated to 2015 version. If you want 2018 version instead let me know, I didn't do 2018 because many people want to avoid possible slowdowns due to Spectre/Meltdown fixes

[Image: gkMWPMk.png]

1. Added 206C1 + 206C2 (206C2 @ 2015 version)
2. Updated 106A4 + 106A5 (To 2015 versions)
3. Updated 206C0
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...5737397781

Thanks is plenty, I appreciate it!
find
Just tried it, it did not work. I gives me 4 errorcodes related to CPU/memory now. Can't test out if the microcode for X5660 is not working or the board is bricked, as i have loaned out my old i7.

Edit - Had an older Xeon 4 core laying around that works with the old bios'. It works with that one. Will try and troubleshoot some more and give all info i can later.
So far, thanks for trying :p
find
(11-27-2018, 04:37 AM)Silverfox Wrote: Just tried it, it did not work. I gives me 4 errorcodes related to CPU/memory now. Can't test out if the microcode for X5660 is not working or the board is bricked, as i have loaned out my old i7.

Edit - Had an older Xeon 4 core laying around that works with the old bios'. It works with that one. Will try and troubleshoot some more and give all info i can later.
So far, thanks for trying :p

Okay. Further testing has been done:

Isolated the errorcodes to:
b8 
E8

- Of which i can't find any information about. 

The system worked fine with the older Xeon processor. Displaying no error codes. So the board works fine. I'm guessing something is not right with the BIOS  Huh Big Grin

--

Testing with the X5660:
Reseated CPU
Played with all combinations of RAM
CMOS resets / powercycle
PSU switch

Everything results in the same 3 errorcodes.
find
Sorry for the hassles! Before I redo BIOS, what is the other CPU that does work, so I can see if it's microcode is one I added or one I left in place. Since it does work with other CPU, that means the BIOS modification itself was OK, but specific microcode version I added for your X5660 does not work well with this BIOS. Sometimes 2015 versions do not work well for some reason, have to use 2010-2012 or 2018 version.

Or, it could also be, we have to use newer BIOS, since 206C2 was not originally in there until later BIOS versions, I inserted. But we'll consider that later on, since goal is to use old BIOS now

As for the specific codes you mentioned, these are well known and the BIOS may be working OK, just need to find/figure out memory issue, or it may be as mentioned your BIOS does not like the 2015 microcodes (it's possible, since you want this on an old BIOS instead of one of the newer ones, only way to know is test 2018 version and then 2010 or 2012 etc)

Quoted from several sites (cut to only your specific mentions)
Quote:E8 -> 01 -> b2 -> 00 looping
If the board powers un and keeps looping from E8 to 01 to b2 to 00 and back to E8 again, check if the memory is installed properly and try to boot with only 1 stick and try each slot individually. If one of the slots doesnt work, please power off the mainboard and psu and check if any of the pins inside the 1366 CPU socket is bent. If the pins are alright and he memory is plugged in properly, make sure you didnt misconfigure the memory controller and set an unsupported multiplier or an unsupported combination of multipliers. Reset the bios and try again. If it still doesnt work your memory might be damaged or the SPD corrupt, or simply not supported.

2b
When the system powers on and the Debug LED shows the usual POST code sequence but hangs on 2b or you get a beep code as soon as the sequence reaches 2b, then the Mainboard cant detect your Videocard properly. Note that the POST code sequence might not halt at 2b but continue, so the final POST Code it displays could be FF, 00 or 7F which means the Maiboard booted, entered BIOS, or OC recovery kicked in and is waiting for Input to enter BIOS. Since the Videocard couldnt be detected properly you will only see a black Monitor and either 2b, FF, 00 or 7F. Check if there is something wrong with the Videocard, the PCIE slot or BUS, the Monitor or monitor cable. Turn the Monitor on and off, switch the Monitor cable from one D-SUB or DVI plug to the other in case your Videocard has two. If this doesnt help then reboot and load the optimized defaults. If that doesnt help either try another Videocard if possible, or try the Videocard in another system to make sure its working properly. Try another monitor or try the Monitor on another System.

Your in the BIOS right now, if you cant see the BIOS cause your Display stays black, please check the description for POST Code 2b. If this is part of a loop please check the point "E8 -> 01 -> b2 -> 00 looping" above.

Intel MRC Code
This block of code has to be implemented in every Intel based platform BIOS. It initializes and configures the processor and runs bus training and adusting routines. It adjusts clockskews, read/write leveling, signal termination resistors and several chipset timings dynamically depending on the trace length, signal quality, timing and memory installed in the motherboard. If the MRC code hangs or the board cant pas the MRC code and resets it usually points towards memory problems and unsupported multiplier settings or a unsupported combination of multipliers.

Shut down If the board shuts down after a second and the Debug LEDs flash for a fraction of a second, the PWM cant get enough juice
7F OC Recovery
b0 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Chipset - check above
b1 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Chipset - check above
b2 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
b3 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
b4 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
b5 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
b6 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
b7 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
b8 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
01 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
02 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
03 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
04 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
05 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
b9 Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
bA Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
bb Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
bc Intel Core i7 MRC Code - Memory - check above
bd Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
be Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
bF Intel Core i7 MRC Code - CPU - check above
dd unsupported Multiplier or unsupported combination of Multipliers
find
(11-27-2018, 02:16 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Sorry for the hassles!  Before I redo BIOS, what is the other CPU that does work, so I can see if it's microcode is one I added or one I left in place.  Since it does work with other CPU, that means the BIOS modification itself was OK, but specific microcode version I added for your X5660 does not work well with this BIOS.  Sometimes 2015 versions do not work well for some reason, have to use 2010-2012 or 2018 version.

Or, it could also be, we have to use newer BIOS, since 206C2 was not originally in there until later BIOS versions, I inserted.  But we'll consider that later on, since goal is to use old BIOS now

As for the specific codes you mentioned, these are well known and the BIOS may be working OK, just need to find/figure out memory issue, or it may be as mentioned your BIOS does not like the 2015 microcodes (it's possible, since you want this on an old BIOS instead of one of the newer ones, only way to know is test 2018 version and then 2010 or 2012 etc)
No worries - or need to apologize! Big Grin
The CPU used is a Xeon E5540.
I figured too it was something with the memory, so i reset the BIOS with the old Xeon. No luck. Tried every combination of memory and even other slower and older DDR3. Still the same. 
A newer BIOS has the Thermal protection, which is what i am trying to avoid :-(
find
I'm glad you were able to recover, or at least get it running with another CPU instead. I hate when I send out a BIOS and then it fails and user can't recover, at least you were knowledgeable enough to get it back up and running with another CPU.

I know you want to avoid the new BIOS, I was thinking out loud there, it may be only way but we'll keep those thoughts for later until we've exhausted all attempts at getting 206C2 into this old BIOS first.

Are you certain the X5660 works, tested recently in any other board? Or, as a quick test if you are unsure, you can flash in the latest official BIOS, it supports that CPU so would be valid way to test if you are unsure.

E5540 uses 106A5 CPUID, which is one I updated, so that confirms the mod and update method are OK, leaving only either the microcode I used for 206C2 used is not compatible with this BIOS
(Or the BIOS is too old for the blind insertion Sad). Next we try different 206C2, 2010 (first), 2011 (next) and 2018 (last). Be careful swapping in and out CPU's during these tests!

Here is all three new BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...4754594668
find
(11-28-2018, 12:35 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: I'm glad you were able to recover, or at least get it running with another CPU instead.  I hate when I send out a BIOS and then it fails and user can't recover, at least you were knowledgeable enough to get it back up and running with another CPU.

I know you want to avoid the new BIOS, I was thinking out loud there, it may be only way but we'll keep those thoughts for later until we've exhausted all attempts at getting 206C2 into this old BIOS first.

Are you certain the X5660 works, tested recently in any other board?  Or, as a quick test if you are unsure, you can flash in the latest official BIOS, it supports that CPU so would be valid way to test if you are unsure.

E5540 uses 106A5 CPUID, which is one I updated, so that confirms the mod and update method are OK, leaving only either the microcode I used for 206C2 used is not compatible with this BIOS
(Or the BIOS is too old for the blind insertion Sad).  Next we try different 206C2, 2010 (first), 2011 (next) and 2018 (last).  Be careful swapping in and out CPU's during these tests!

Here is all three new BIOS - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...4754594668

The previous BIOS was running fine with the X5660, only the thermal limit was annoying  Big Grin 

Will try the BIOS' you have sent as soon as i have time  Smile
find