Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424188
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3563
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 226
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 256
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223880
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119108
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6743
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 358
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309540
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61907
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 571
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20227
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169166
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6271
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 774
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5741
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61122
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274959

[Request] Modding a IBM\Lenovo RD640 for CPU Control
#1
Brick 
Would anyone like to chat about BIOS modding? I have been analyzing a IBM/Lenovo RD640 server I got from a friend, its pretty stout, but its older Xeons E2600v2's could use a little boost. I have been doing poking around with a tool called UBU, can I extract the BIOS and enumerate the ROM's parameters to memory addresses in hex I found something like this: (edited)

0x1B691 Numeric: VID Override for Max Turbo Ratio, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x63, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0x54, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0xFF, Step: 0x0 {07 A6 9F 01 A0 01 54 00 01 00 63 00 10 10 00 FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00} 0x1B6B7 Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {5B 0D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00} 0x1B6C4 End {29 02} This is a pretty normal parameter to find an asus desktop board, but it does not exist on the server.

So now I'm looking for someone with some experience to have a chat It seems I can dump the rom, flips some bits, flash the rom and it might change the parameter.

I have uploaded the follow items to google drive:
A1TSIMG.ROM, the latest official rom for the default board that comes installed on an RD640.
body.bin, setup_extr.txt, fit.dump, and csmcore from UBU

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

Any advice? Perhaps we can mod this one together? I appreciate your time, thanks for being around.

Here is some more information, just in case it becomes important to our chat.

Current Hardware
IBM/Lenovo RD640 Server
Single Xeon E5-2620 v2, default 2.1 Ghz / 2.6 Ghz

Planned Hardware
IBM/Lenovo RD640 Server
Dual Xeon E5-2697v2, default 2.7Ghz / 3.5 Ghz

I am interested in exploring what's involved to unlock CPU multiplier and base clock settings on this board.  If they are not easily unlocked I am open to the idea of modifying the bios to change these limits for a specific cpu.

Thanks, have a great weekend.


Attached Files
.txt   setup_extr.txt (Size: 511.26 KB / Downloads: 1)
.bin   body.bin (Size: 163.52 KB / Downloads: 0)
find
quote
#2
I have received and installed the new Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 CPU's, things are performing well, it seems that there are some limitations in the BIOS as I can not quite get the CPU to turbo all the up to 3.5Ghz, instead I am seeing a ceiling of 3.0 Ghz.

Does a BIOS mod for this system seem possible, I would like to reach out and touch that last bit of performance that is left on the table.

After working with this board, I can see that these chips run quite hot, I am interested in tuning some of these features:

Microcode updates
CPU Multiplier
Boost Multiplier and per core limits
Base Clock Control
CPU voltage control for underclocking

Anything I might have missed.
find
quote
#3
Attached is a modified BIOS for the IBM RD640, this firmware must be flashed on an IBM RD640 Server that is already running the latest firmware and flashed with AFUDOS in FreeDOS. This was patched with UBU to add the latest Intel Microcode, If you are interesting in flashing this I recommend using UBU to create the modified BIOS file for your own system. I assume no responsibly for any system or any downtime if this happens to brick your server. Notably, the IBM RD640 does have flashback capabilities built in, but be careful.

System:
IBM RD640 Server

Features:
Updated Intel Microcode using UBU

AFUDOS a1tsf5a.bin /P /B /R /SP /ME /OEMCMD:ff


Attached Files
.bin   a1tsf5a.bin (Size: 16 MB / Downloads: 8)
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)