Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 103
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424440
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3617
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 278
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 205
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 304
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224488
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119167
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 273
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6784
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 404
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309710
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61963
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 622
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20275
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169303
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6344
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 823
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5794
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61198

[Solved] Dell E6520 BIOS executable ROM extraction
#1
I have a Dell Latitude E6520 laptop with a corrupt BIOS after a failed/incomplete BIOS update within Windows from version A05 to version A19. Using Phoenixtool256, I have learned that the vendor Dell used for the BIOS type is 'EFI/Insyde'. Although judging from the way the bios on the laptop functions and operates, Dell has clearly made some modifications to its original BIOS system because of the "Secure" nature of the Latitude series from Dell. I know that Insyde BIOS's have a recovery feature built in for emergency recovery of the BIOS and I can confirm that it is there because while pressing the 'END' key and plugging in the laptop's power, the activity light on the inserted USB flash drive lights up showing it is being searched or read for the proper bios rom file. 

Similar to this procedure:    https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/...-recovery/

Here comes the problem. Using the trick with the old Dell BIOS update executables to get the packaged rom file from it no longer works on newer laptop BIOS executables. I'm referring to the CMD command '/writeromfile' and '/writehdrfile' (I know there are some other commands as well). Opening the exe in WinRAR, 7-Zip and Universal Extractor refuses to open the exe file as well. The BIOS file within the executable seems to be well guarded and compressed as Dell obviously didn't want anyone messing with it or extracting it. After countless hours of searching on Google I found a Python script that managed to extract a compressed .HDR file from the BIOS update executable. 

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads...-UEFI-BIOS

Using the Python script I got the .HDR file from the exe and I thought that's it right? Apparently not, as I tried to use the Insyde recovery procedure, all my attempts with the .HDR file were a failure. (Maybe I had the incorrect file name ???) [attachment=9467]

So I have hit a wall. With my limited BIOS knowledge this is as far as I have got. If someone can extract a proper rom file (With the proper file name for it as well) from the executable, I might be able to recover my beloved E6520 laptop with the Insyde recovery procedure.

Bios exe file:     http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01853343...520A19.exe

I apologise if somehow I am posting this in the wrong section.
find
quote
#2
I know that this is an old thread, but did it every get resolved? Or does anyone know how to resolve this issue, I am also unable to recover the BIOS on a Dell E6520 for the same reason.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.
find
quote
#3
Same for me... Not very cool Dell
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)