Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
Today 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 51
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
Today 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 70
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
Yesterday 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 127
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
Yesterday 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1221965
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
Yesterday 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 118889
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 160
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6637
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 262
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308916
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61711
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 446
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20092
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168781
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6124
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 658
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5617
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60913
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274797
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 772
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24732

[Solved] Dell Optiplex 780 Quad-Core Support
#1
Hello!

I have a bunch of Dell Optiplex 780s at my office using the A14 bios. All of the models EXCEPT the Ultra-Small-Form-Factor support the quad-core processors. Dell uses a universal BIOS executable (http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00810218M/1/O780-A14.exe) for all form-factors of the system.

I would REALLY appreciate if someone could unlock the USFF bios from blocking the quad-core chips (that one specifically if you need to, or just flip the switch so they are all unlocked?). I would be even HAPPIER to do it myself on my own system if someone can walk me through the process though - I'm not unfamiliar with hex editing or reversing, but I'm not sure on how to unpack/modify/repack a bios, particularly one that will contain important things like SLIC.

Since this is for an office machine, it has to be 99% assured that the process will either work or error out before writing - bricking the box is not an option and I don't have a bios chip reader/writer to re-flash it should it go [censored]-up. Smile

Thoughts welcome, I appreciate all help.

OH - and to prove I DID read the "posting requests" about another board with the same CPU, I'll reiterate: The CPUs I want to activate are right in the same executable from dell - all of the other form factors will have it except for the USFF. I'm not sure if they get a different file, or if it checks based on service tag as to whether the CPU is valid or not. All I know is that booting up with the q9550 brought up the immediate warning "Incompatible CPU!"
find
quote
#2
Any chance you can run the executable and then upload the .exe that get's placed into %temp%?

The resultant .exe (the one that gets placed in %temp%) can be opened by archiving utilities such as 7-zip/winrar and we can take a looksie at what's inside.

[Image: x79sig.jpg]
| BitFenix Shinobi XL | i7-3820 5GHz | P9X79 PRO | 32GB DDR3 | 2x HD6970 | 240GB SSD |
www find
quote
#3
(02-11-2013, 02:53 AM)paradigital Wrote: Any chance you can run the executable and then upload the .exe that get's placed into %temp%?

The resultant .exe (the one that gets placed in %temp%) can be opened by archiving utilities such as 7-zip/winrar and we can take a looksie at what's inside.

I would LOVE to...trying my damnedest to get it but it seems to create the file right before forcing reboot and then deletes the file right after processing. I'm working on finding it, will post and attach as soon as I do.

(02-11-2013, 01:18 PM)Vasmodi753 Wrote: I would LOVE to...trying my damnedest to get it but it seems to create the file right before forcing reboot and then deletes the file right after processing. I'm working on finding it, will post and attach as soon as I do.

Checked and even traced out with Process Monitor - no file is written to a temp directory, at least not one that's showing up ANYWHERE. My next guess is that it's loaded into RAM directly from the EXE, which checks a whole host of regkeys and the windows crypto dll beforehand.

Thoughts? Or am I totally missing something?
find
quote
#4
Not sure. None of the typical Compaq/HP softpaq command line switches work (other than /s for "silent"), so I can't extract any of the resources.

None of the tools I've tried to extract from the executable work (even the infamous UniExtract), all I know is that the .exe is an MS Visual C++ compiled executable.

[Image: x79sig.jpg]
| BitFenix Shinobi XL | i7-3820 5GHz | P9X79 PRO | 32GB DDR3 | 2x HD6970 | 240GB SSD |
www find
quote
#5
(02-12-2013, 05:44 AM)paradigital Wrote: Not sure. None of the typical Compaq/HP softpaq command line switches work (other than /s for "silent"), so I can't extract any of the resources.

None of the tools I've tried to extract from the executable work (even the infamous UniExtract), all I know is that the .exe is an MS Visual C++ compiled executable.

Sad Then it sounds like I'm out of luck unless a guru has another way.
find
quote
#6
Well, if you know what type of BIOS the machine has (must say it somewhere during POST or in the BIOS Setup Utility), you could try saving the BIOS from the ROM using whatever tool associates with the brand of BIOS?

[Image: x79sig.jpg]
| BitFenix Shinobi XL | i7-3820 5GHz | P9X79 PRO | 32GB DDR3 | 2x HD6970 | 240GB SSD |
www find
quote
#7
BIOS Link - http://rghost.net/55151565
What Happens - POST - says processor not supported Boots into windows once but not again
Processor Type - Xeon X3363
S-Spec - SLBC3
CPUID - 10676

I can get an X3363 to work with stock BIOS for Optiplex 755. Optiplex 780 boots but I'm assuming the correct updated Microcode is not in the BIOS.
find
quote
#8
(05-14-2014, 07:50 AM)jdough Wrote: BIOS Link - http://rghost.net/55151565
What Happens - POST - says processor not supported Boots into windows once but not again
Processor Type - Xeon X3363
S-Spec - SLBC3
CPUID - 10676

+1 on this.
I have the same machine (O780) , same CPU(X3363) , same BIOS(A15).
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/1...erid=DK074
My system does work fine using Win7 after pressing F1 to get past the "Installed Processor not Supported" message on boot.
However, that manual keystroke is an annoyance I would like to eliminate, particularly since it prevents the machine from rebooting when unattended.
find
quote
#9
Bump, same here. Anyone have any ideas on how to update Xeon microcodes for certain Dell systems that come with 1 single EXE file for updating the BIOS? Obviously you can't modify the EXE...

OptiPlex 780 and 960 are in the same boat.
find
quote
#10
(05-14-2014, 07:50 AM)jdough Wrote: I can get an X3363 to work with stock BIOS for Optiplex 755. Optiplex 780 boots but I'm assuming the correct updated Microcode is not in the BIOS.

Disclaimer:
Dell does not support this modified BIOS or have any oversight on the changes. These patches are completely unofficial, untested, and unapproved by the manufacturer. They are provided "as is" without any warranties or guarantees from any manufacturers or other entities, including myself. This will void any existing warranties.
Flashing the bios poses a very real risk of damaging your computer. You will be solely responsible for any damage or loss of data that results from flashing or using the patched BIOS.
FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Save all open work and close all programs. Requires restart!
LGA771 E0 (1067A Platform 2,6) REPLACES LGA775 E0 (1067A Platform 0,4)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6c9hse
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)