Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6407
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14043
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 140
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424559
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3656
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 326
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 344
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224829
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119207
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 299
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6818
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 439
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309826
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62002
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 657
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20316
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169435
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6388
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 863

hp 550: Need help upgrading bios for core 2 duo to run win 7 64 bit
#1
I'm a photographer and i use photoshop lightroom extensively as part of my workflow. Unfortunately my desktop workstation just burned out it's motherboard in the middle of an assignment, and I'm not able to buy a new one till probably next month.  I have an old hp 550 laptop,  running on a core 2 duo processor. It was originally installed with 32 bit XP, but to run lightroom 5 it needs to run windows 7 64 bit.

I went through the Microsoft upgrade advisor instructions,  and it works great. Until you start Adobe 64 bit multi-threaded software (i.e. lightroom, premier).  After 15 minutes it over heats and crashes. Then i have to wait 30 minutes before it's cool enough to boot up again. I've got over 2000 RAW images to sort and edit (some requiring extensive edits) it is very slow and frustrating to have to shut down between each photo.  

From the system specs and the requirements necessary to run lightroom, it should handle it no problem. The core 2 duo is on the extreme low end but still fits the specs according to adobe. A computer whiz friend  suggested that overheating could be from the out of date bios. I realize this is not the machine to use long term, but i have to make it be able to make it work for the next two weeks.

I'm behind on this assignment, have another Friday and another next week. At this rate I'll never finish. I've built computers before,  but I've never dealt with modifying or updating bios, and I'm having trouble finding the right info and the hp website is less than helpful.

So what i really need is this.

1- what bios version is necessary for running windows 7 64 bit on a core 2 duo

2-I've never done this before and was told if done wrong it will likely render the laptop useless.  So I'd like detailed instructions on how to do it, if i may.

3- i was told the bios update may make a RAM upgrade past the current limit possible.  Is this true? If so it would help.

4- finally do you fine folks think this will actually work, or am I wasting my time and completely screwed?

Thanks all for your time!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)