Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6363
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14010
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 111
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424493
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3626
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 291
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 212
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 315
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224617
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119177
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 278
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6792
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 417
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309744
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61972
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 628
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20286
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169366
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6355
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 832

CPU upgrade i3 330m to i5 520m for Satellite Pro S500
#11
I just replaced the i3 330m in my Satellite Pro S500-115 and used a  i5 560M this CPU just works great.

This is a very affordable CPU on the second hand market. It gives a nice upgrade for about 15-20 USD

I wonder if we could take this machine any further, or is this the maximum we can fit in here?

Did not see anything faster on geekbench.
TOSHIBA Satellite Pro S500
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
2135 4191
Geekbench 4.1.2 Tryout for Windows x86 (64-bit)
find
quote
#12
(09-26-2017, 10:14 AM)satfrx Wrote: I wonder if we could take this machine any further, or is this the maximum we can fit in here?
i7-640M is best CPU for this laptop. But it's faster than i5-560M by 10% only.
find
quote
#13
(09-26-2017, 11:25 AM)DeathBringer Wrote:
(09-26-2017, 10:14 AM)satfrx Wrote: I wonder if we could take this machine any further, or is this the maximum we can fit in here?
i7-640M is best CPU for this laptop. But it's faster than i5-560M by 10% only.

The diference with the i3 330m seems quite a lot. Maybe like about 33% faster or something like this.

I thought I went from dual to quad core but they both are dual core..... The difference seems to be in the turbo boost technology. After the good old fashioned pentium cpu's I kind of got lost....

I wonder if a i7-840qm could be used. The power it uses however is quite a bit higer so that could get you into troubles.  I am not sure if this one is intended for use in a laptop computer. In the benchmarks it seems this does make some noticeble difference compared to the i5-560.
Maybe there are other downsides besides the higher power consumption.

If one sees the benchmarks between the i5-560m and the i7-640m the difference is not so big. One does pay about 3 times the price of the i5-560 I will stay with the i5 560m I guess.

It was fun to take this machine apart and have the feeling I made a major upgrade for only 15 Euro's
find
quote
#14
I wish I ran geekbench before I upgraded if someone could run geekbench 4 on an original Satellite pro S500 withe i3 330m cpu it would be easier to compare.
There are some of them in the geekbench 3 list but I do nit know how they compare to geekbench 4 and having them in one list would be much nicer.

Now in gb4 I can only see my i5 compared to an i3 380 my score just seems just over double the i3 380 score.
find
quote
#15
E.g. https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2592514
find
quote
#16
(09-26-2017, 01:30 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: E.g. https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/2592514

This is not a bad score for the L500. I see L and #500 are about the same. The L however has a ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5165 where the S500 has an Intel® HM55.

In Geekbench I see  a few using i5 430m cpu these do not seem to have a better score as the i3 330m.

Anyway, I am happy with my i5 560m
find
quote
#17
(09-26-2017, 11:33 PM)satfrx Wrote: The L however has a ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5165 where the S500 has an Intel® HM55.
These both laptops are based on HM55 chipset. But your laptop uses internal CPU's graphics.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)