Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 7
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424209
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3564
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 227
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 257
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223916
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119109
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6744
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 359
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309549
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61908
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 572
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20228
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169171
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6273
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 775
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5743
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61124

DELL Precision 690 microcode update
#51
OK. Only real experiment can verify compatibility. As I wrote:
(02-12-2016, 09:38 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: X5355 (SLAEG) must work on your motherboard. BIOS has microcode for them.
find
quote
#52
(05-01-2016, 11:39 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: OK. Only real experiment can verify compatibility. As I wrote:
(02-12-2016, 09:38 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: X5355 (SLAEG) must work on your motherboard. BIOS has microcode for them.

Thanks.

Maybe the original post will chime in and let me know his results.
find
quote
#53
My board must be the Rev A02 MY171. Two of the X5355, 2.66 GHz, FSB 1333 MHz, L2 8 MB, work perfectly. I have been doing a lot of reading on this model of the precision workstation and I have found that this board and revision, and chipset have no reason not to support the X54xx, with 1333MHz FSB series. The only reason I have not tried to update the cpu code myself is because there are few to no tools out there that can so much as tell you what codes are actually in the BIOS update itself. And then of course the microcode in all of the BIOS updates do not seem to have headers, so i have no idea how to search for them.  If you need any information from my 690 let me know and i can get it for you within a couple of days. Oh and also i did see one person try to add microcode to a BIOS.hdr A07, and A08, my opinion is that when they added the code it was added with a header and NOT in the format Dell uses with all of the precision models which might have something to do with why it didn't work.
find
quote
#54
We need owners of A00 & A01 revisions.
find
quote
#55
(05-03-2016, 11:39 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: We need owners of A00 & A01 revisions.

Today I received my Xeon X5355 processor in the mail and installed in on my MY171 Rev00 on bios A08.  No issues running the processor.  I took out the motherboard battery for 2 mins before reinstalling and starting up for the first time.  Bios immediately recognized the processor.  

I'm running window 10 and initially it only saw 2 of the cores.  I went into MSCONFIG and made some changes under the BOOT tab, Advanced Options, you need to uncheck "Number of Processors" and reboot.  After that , the OS will see all 4 cores.

I plan to run as second X5355 processor, but am waiting to get a second heat sink before dropping it in.

Hope this helps other looking to upgrade the 690.  Both processors cost me a total of $20 on ebay.  Also got 16GB (8x2GB) of PC5300 DDR2 RAM for this computer for $10.  Computer will run great for $30 worth of upgrades.  I still feel like they need SSD to run faster.
find
quote
#56
Great news!
find
quote
#57
(05-03-2016, 11:39 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: We need owners of A00 & A01 revisions.

i own A01 revision, I tried single processor X5365@3.0Ghz, it worked just fine! then when I got my heatsink I installed the matching pair of X5365 I got 1 3 4 beep then off! i'm at A08 bios version.
I downgraded to A01 successfully, still problem persists.
I reset the bios by removing the cell battery waiting 1 hour not 3 minutes, then reinstalled battery, installed 2nd cpu & heatsink. same problem!

I have now a shiny X5365 with its heatsink collecting dust on my desk!
find
quote
#58
Tell sSpec of each your CPUs.
How many DIMMs you used?
find
quote
#59
(10-03-2016, 08:12 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Tell sSpec of each your CPUs.
How many DIMMs you used?

both CPU's are a matching pair X5365 SLAED, bought them over ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Intel-X...1ea9277870)

I have 64GB of RAM in memory riser (16Dimms X 4GB) from ebay as well: (64GB (16x4GB) DDR2 FB Fully Buffered PC2-5300F 667 Memory Dell) here's the link to ebay: (http://www.ebay.com/itm/64GB-16x4GB-DDR2...2edcb59bb7)

I tried both CPU's in CPU 0 slot  as single processors, they're both working just fine! it's just that they won't work together. let me know if you need more info.
find
quote
#60
Which slots are used for memory risers?
Did you tried to use memory without risers?
Try to install 8 DIMM to slots 1-8.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)