Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424187
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3563
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 225
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 256
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223875
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119108
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6743
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 358
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309539
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61907
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 571
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20226
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169166
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6271
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 774
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5741
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61122
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274958

DELL Precision 690 microcode update
#71
A small anecdote:

I found this thread because I wanted to essentially run VMware ESX 6.5 on my Dell 690, but the CPU isn't supported. An E5400 CPU would have worked, but I think the answer here is fairly conclusive, sadly.

I then decided to cowboy-it and I installed my OS on another machine, then moved the OS drive to my 690. As far as I can see, it works completely fine. I expect there's some feature that'll fail hard, but as I only need ESX for its free license, I'm thinking maybe the broken feature will be something I can't even use (like Live Migration). So far I've run the server for an hour and setup a test VM, no issues at all.

This doesn't exactly help most folks here, but someone else with my exact situation could find my sketchy work-around very helpful. Obviously, don't depend on this. (I blogged about it here)
find
quote
#72
Please tell sSpec of your current CPU.
find
quote
#73
(08-09-2017, 05:20 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Please tell sSpec of your current CPU.

It's a little more effort than I'm prepared to do right now. But mine has dual Xeon 5150's. I bought it from a recycler for $11. It has 10GB of RAM. I'm thinking of taking it to 64GB as that sounds cheap. I'd like to upgrade CPUs too, but I want to also keep it lowish power, like the 5150's are. I've had some VMs running on it non-stop since I posted above, so far, everything looks completely fine.
find
quote
#74
OK, this is not necessary now.
find
quote
#75
I saw a thread that suggested replacing the motherboard with one from a Precision T7400. I just bought one from Newegg Market for $35 free shipping.
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/77...for-gaming
It supports X54xx CPUs and 400FSB Xeons also.
find
quote
#76
here's an interesting suggestion for the 690. Cost $35 from newegg market.
https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/77...for-gaming
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)