Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 799
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108064
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1315
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3543
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9217
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8768
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14366
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425660
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3845
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 536
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 333
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 725
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227628
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119724
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 389
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7001
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 626
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310610
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62226

[Dell Vostro 1310] Can't install ANY Microsoft based OS but just Linux. Bios lock?
#1
Hi there,

I bought a Vostro 1310 on 2008 and was originally equipped with Vista. I have the full set of disk, including the Restoration DVD.
I'm an happy Linux user since 2004 but now I need to reinstall Windows to avoid issues with my new job.
I didn't change the hardware configuration of my notebook but when I installed Xubuntu years ago I formatted the entire disk, loosing the recovery/diagnostic partition. My mistake, I know.
Now I tried to put it back Vista but the system hangs after the first loading page. Same thing with a brand new Windows 7 Ultimate.
With an old WinXp OEM the installation starts but hangs on the next reboot. Yes I change to ATA compatibility on BIOS even if i put SATA drivers on the disk.
Obviously I tried with an external DVD and USB install too.
Latest Xubuntu install without a glitch and I can use Windows 7 on a virtual machine, but some proprietary software refuses to work. I can use a portable edition of XP too starting from a CD, and that solve a bit.
If I set the diagnostic screen on BIOS I can see just an error of TPM (No TPM or TPM has problem), but since I don't have the TPM module (the socket is empty) I never didn't care about it.

I ran an extended Dell diagnostic from the cd, no issues so far. Tried new ram and new disk with no luck.
Since I was starting to think on it as a bios issue I completely disassembled my notebook to pull off the coin cell. After 12 hours I put all back. No luck. I then updated my bios (was A13) to A15, the latest available on dell site. Nothing changed. Update again with the V15 with SLIC 2.1 found on this site. Idem.
The Dell bios offer, as usual, very few setting and my attention drop on Computrace. Seems activated, but I'm 100% sure I never activated it and now I can't deactivate: it's grayed out. I don't know if it is the cause of my issue but so far is the only thing I found "out of place". No one could have modified my bios since is protected by password.

I tried to force bios in maintenance mode changing asset tag to PASS: (12/31, 12/34 and 1234) and my service tag following the how-to found on another forum but again with no luck. Didn't enter to maintenance mode.

I wonder if someone can help me to clear completely the bios (including computrace or whatever thing is blocking Windows) since Dell support isn't offering this service but just a motherboard replacement. Sorry but that's not a solution for me! Again linux works pretty well.
All I want is to have back the ability to install the Vista I bought. No piracy here.

Can someone drive me to the right path?

Here's the link of the latest bios.

Thanks.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)