Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Yesterday 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6438
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Yesterday 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14069
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 147
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424630
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3669
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 340
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 239
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 362
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1225098
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119234
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 309
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6832
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 456
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309899
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62022
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 675
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20335
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169490
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6417
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 879

Dell XPS 720: Xeon E5450 support?
#1
Is it at all possible to get the Dell XPS 720 to support the Xeon E5450? I know it supports the Q9650, which is basically the same thing but in LGA775, and I've heard some rumors of 45nm support from the nForce 680i chipset but no specific chips listed. Currently I have a Q6600 installed. 

Here is the CPU-Z profile, running in Windows 7:

https://i.imgur.com/MCeRaKo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uqQKi0o.jpg
find
quote
#2
You can try to boot with Xeon E5450 with stepping C0: CPUID=0x10676, sSpec=SLANQ
find
quote
#3
(12-18-2018, 03:59 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: You can try to boot with Xeon E5450 with stepping C0: CPUID=0x10676, sSpec=SLANQ

That's the chip I happened to buy, so I guess I lucked out. I guess I'll just have to give it a try.
find
quote
#4
Okay, well, it sort of works. Emphasis on sort of.

The chip shows up in the BIOS just fine, which honestly shocked me as I didn't expect it to work at all:

https://i.imgur.com/FuvQavx.jpg

However, trying to use Windows is another story. It repeatedly crashes with a MEMORY MANAGEMENT blue screen, if it gets into Windows at all without automatically restarting:

https://i.imgur.com/BJFhz48.jpg

I haven't been able to find anyone else who tried this particular CPU in this particular machine so I genuinely have no idea how to solve this problem...
find
quote
#5
Can you boot from Live CD/USB with Windows?
find
quote
#6
(12-19-2018, 11:50 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: Can you boot from Live CD/USB with Windows?

I apologize, I don't know what that is. But I can run the Windows 7 installer from a DVD, it just crashes once Windows 7 is installed and you try to boot into it.
find
quote
#7
Boot "Windows 7 installer from a DVD". When first window appears press Shift+F10
You'll get a command line. Run regedit and make a photo of expanded key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
find
quote
#8
https://i.imgur.com/LSu4733.jpg

Here's the result. Everything looks normal here, the CPU and clock speed are both reported correctly...
find
quote
#9
OK. But I see old microcode...
Let's try to update it without BIOS editing.
Make DOS USB-stick (e.g, by Rufus), download and unzip all files for the modded version of CHECKUP7 to this DOS USB-stick.
Install your Xeon E5450, boot from this DOS USB-stick and make a photo of the screen with results.
find
quote
#10
https://i.imgur.com/V1gqGzT.jpg

This is the screen I get. But I can't seem to access my hard drive from the DOS on the USB stick to see if it works.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)