Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6371
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14011
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 112
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424503
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3627
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 296
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 214
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 316
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224634
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119179
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 278
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6794
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 419
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309751
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61975
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 631
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20287
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169387
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6358
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 834

Exotic: Getac X500 BIOS unlock request
#1
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade my Getac X500 (Fully rugged, QM57 Chipset, Phoenix BIOS). Officially it supports an i7-640M (35W) and 8Gb memory maximum.

Now, I have tried to upgrade it with a i7-940XM (55W), and the BIOS will recognize it perfectly, no problems. I can boot into DOS, do whatever I want. If I try to install Windows 8 however, half-way during the 'detecting-driver' stage the laptop will just turn off. Upon reboot it will complain it shut down unexpectedly and I should restart the installation. Now I have ruled out a temperature shutdown (keeping it cool up to that point). It is always at the same point as well.

Considering the memory, I tried putting in 16Gb (2x8mb) memory, which again is recognized normally in the diagnostics screen (16384kb). Only when I enter setup the amount of memory is shown as 0 KB and when booting, windows shuts down with the new frowny BSOD (probably also getting the 0KB memory). DOS boots fine.

I get the idea that the BIOS is not filling in certain fields (ACPI table?), not setting options or doing things for configurations not specifically enabled in it.

So I tried Phoenix BIOS Editor, but it doesn't seem to work on my bios (PSI Analysis Fail! error). So I tried phoenixtool214, which extracted its components and identified it as "Phoenix BIOS (New Style)".

I have looked through STRINGS00.ROM and it seems there are a shitload of options in the BIOS not visible to me. So I figured I'd ask here if you can unlock them.

Additionally, the laptop has two BIOS files, one SYS and one KRC/EC (This string is in the ROM file: "EC-V12.2 Copyright ITE Tech. Inc."), don't know what this is. Also, the upgrade zip from the manufacturer includes a .cer file, I hope flash updates aren't signed, since that would probably mean I'm up sh*t creek and I totally forgot to rent the paddle, right?

So, I'd be grateful if you could unlock the hidden menus in the setup to start with, and (considering this is a laptop for military use) if you notice anything weird or interresting or related to the CPU and memory not working while you're at it, please don't be shy to let me know Wink

Once upon a time (20 years ago) I actually wrote my own BIOSes in assembler and whatnot (after soldering new crystals on the board), but sadly most of that is hazy when looking back. Additionally, apparently BIOSes now are just zipfiles full of all kinds of crap I have no idea about Wink But I'd be willing to assist and learn again.

Ideally I would learn how to do this myself, but I don't have the time unfortunately Sad

So any help (and any technical explaination) from you is much appreciated. BIOS-es are attached.


Attached Files
.zip   X500_SYS_R1.11.070520RLS_flash.zip (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 24)
.zip   R1.07.zip (Size: 58.27 KB / Downloads: 19)
find
quote
#2
Another problem just surfaced yesterday: After (cleanly) installing Windows 8.1 RTM the fan completely stopped working.

It comes on during BIOS, but once Windows starts loading it turns off and never comes on again, no matter how hot the CPU and case get. The Getac Utility that can be used to monitor the CPU temperature shows the temp as zero (were it did show the temp correctly on Windows 8.0).

HWMonitor does show the correct temps though, but it may be important to note that HWMonitor always shows the fan speed as zero, even when the fan did work on Windows 8.0.

Additionally, on Windows 8.0, the OS is seemingly unable to control the CPU clock speed (it's configurable in power settings in percentage) it will alternate between ~1.8Ghz (45W) and 1.1Ghz (17.5W) and the fan speed will constantly fluctuate (and run too fast in my opinion).

I'm really hoping someone with knowledge will assist me getting this laptop to be usable, otherwise I'll have to dump it on eBay or something. Thanks in advance.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)