Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
Yesterday 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6526
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
Yesterday 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 131
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308259
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61547
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 308
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 19946
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168437
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 5974
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 519
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5476
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60732
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274673
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 649
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24618
[REQUEST] Lenovo G500 (78CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: imtemporaryhelloworl
09-19-2026 07:06 AM
» Replies: 1235
» Views: 693721
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: D_M_A
09-18-2026 05:49 AM
» Replies: 257
» Views: 174012
HP DV6-6031er WiFi White list
Last Post: NVTNovo
09-16-2026 09:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 924
HP15BA030 BIOS Freischalten für Advanced...
Last Post: Andyowl
09-16-2026 01:35 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 511
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IMH0...
Last Post: Silver Pegasus
09-16-2026 09:53 AM
» Replies: 66
» Views: 59543
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire V5-572(P,G) BIOS U...
Last Post: Majestik
09-15-2026 03:01 PM
» Replies: 42
» Views: 43065

Gateway FX6800 (TBGM01) support for 6-core CPUs
#1
Goal:
  • Add BIOS support for W3690 CPU on my Packard Bell TBGM01 motherboard
  • (Image of my W3690 CPU in attachments)
Current setup: When I put the W3690 in with my current setup, the PC powers on but it doesn't do anything: no beep, no power to keyboard, black screen etc. A somewhat interesting thing happens the first time when the PC has been completely out of power: the PC tries to power on for a second but then powers off just to power on again. The end result is the same though so this isn't most likely important. I have tried to add 06C0, 06C1 and 06C2 microcodes to my BIOS but the end result is always the same.

Information I have found out about this subject:
  • X58 motherboards support Gulftown CPUs physically. The question seems to be whether the BIOS supports that.
  • Unluckily Packard Bell doesn't seem to have updated their TBGM01 BIOS.
  • A same BIOS has been reported to work interchangeably between Packard Bell and Gateway versions of the motherboard, but from what I have understood, Gateway TBGM01's BIOS doesn't support Gulftown either. (Fun fact: they are both subsidiaries of Acer.)
  • MSI added support for Gulftown CPUs on their X58 Pro motherboards: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X58_Pro.html
My intention is to extract whatever MSI put in their BIOS and import it to my TBGM01 BIOS. However, I'm not sure if it's even possible to transfer this "CPU module" between BIOSes of different manufacturers. I'm hopeful since these seem to be the same type of AMI BIOSes.

Using MMTool v3.22, I looked at what was different between the MSI BIOS versions 8.9 and 8.A. The Gulftown "CPU module" update happened between those two versions. There were changes in the following modules:
  • P6 Micro Code (ID 11). I don't think my problem can be solved solely by adding microcodes so I didn't pay any more attention to this.
  • Multi Language (ID 21). This doesn't sound important.
  • Single Link Arch BIOS (ID 1B). I'm convinced that this is what I was looking for.
I found this toolset called ami_1b_utilz. With it I was able to split and combine parts of this "Single Link Arch BIOS" module. However, I don't know what exactly I should copy from there. Again I compared what had changed between the BIOS versions 8.9 and 8.A, this time using MD5 hashes of the files. These were the parts with changes in them:
  • ACPITBL_SEG
  • AGIF_CODE
  • DIM_CSEG
  • I13P_CSEG
  • MSIP_CSEG
  • PMM_CSEG
  • POST2_CSEG
  • POST_CSEG
  • POST_DSEG
  • RUN_CSEG
  • SETSVR_CSEG
  • SMBIOS_CSEG
  • SMI_BSPCSEG
  • SMI_BSPDSEG
  • SMI_BSPENTRYSEG
  • SMI_STRUCSEG
  • TCPA_CSEG
Now I'm lost.

Does someone know if this project is even possible? Could you help or even better, put this all together? Thanks.


If I forgot to tell something important, feel free to ask. Imgur album of the attachment images: https://imgur.com/a/bJUn8


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
           
find
quote
#2
It's too difficult and too expensive work.
find
quote
#3
Thanks for answering. 

Still I'd like to ask a few things:
  • Have you heard of something like this being done?
  • Do you think that I'm on the right tracks in a sense that the problem relies in these "Single Link Arch BIOS" parts?
  • Do you know if these "Single Link Arch BIOS" parts have manufacturer-specific code in them? Meaning that importing them as a whole would be dangerous.
  • Do you think that if all the "CPU module" pieces were found, they would be suitable for the TBGM01 BIOS without modification?
find
quote
#4
  • No
  • Yes, it's the core of BIOS
  • It's different for all BIOS
  • I don't think so.
find
quote
#5
Hey there, I've got a Gateway FX6800-01e that I'm trying to put an X5660 in, I know there are some bios mods for it which allow for overclocking on the forums here but I can't seem to find one that has an updated CPU support list (there isn't one out there from gateway themselves). If someone could edit the version of the 6800-01e bios which allows for overclocking to also support X5600 series CPUs I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
find
quote
#6
Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.
find
quote
#7
(12-07-2019, 02:51 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.

Sure here you go. Keep in mind I'm upgrading to an X5650, if you need the stepping number of the CPU let me know

Thanks for the help


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
           
find
quote
#8
This BIOS doesn't support CPUs with six cores.
BTW: adding microcode doesn't add support for new CPUs.
find
quote
#9
(12-09-2019, 11:35 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: This BIOS doesn't support CPUs with six cores.
BTW: adding microcode doesn't add support for new CPUs.

There isn't a way to modify the bios to support it?
find
quote
#10
No simple way. Buy new motherboard.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)