Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: Brutoloco
Today 07:49 AM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 398
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 07:24 AM
» Replies: 2321
» Views: 657839
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MAVARACOMPLEX
Today 03:23 AM
» Replies: 121
» Views: 22085
[REQUEST] - ACER ASPIRE 2012 BIOS with U...
Last Post: Aspire
Today 03:21 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 39
[WORKING] Asus P8Z77-V: NVMe BOOT Suppor...
Last Post: 0nlythebest
Yesterday 08:35 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 22825
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad SL400 & SL500 ...
Last Post: ivan333bor
Yesterday 04:54 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 6803
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 02:50 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 104
[REQUEST] DNS A35FB, Pegatron A35
Last Post: Polkash51
Yesterday 01:28 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2856
ASUS R1F CPU upgrade
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 12:22 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 212
[REQUEST] Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 (8ACNxx...
Last Post: psycomaffo
04-18-2024 10:36 AM
» Replies: 69
» Views: 26155
Request for Modded BIOS with AI Tweaker ...
Last Post: CertifiedCosmos
04-17-2024 05:04 PM
» Views: 162
Lenovo ThinkCentre M71e GPU Whitelist re...
Last Post: saschalein
04-17-2024 03:23 PM
» Views: 146
[REQUEST] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-15ARR (7WC...
Last Post: nadolivbios
04-17-2024 01:26 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 6247
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: sanya.silitskiy
04-17-2024 11:52 AM
» Replies: 73
» Views: 220207
[REQUEST] 13w Yoga Gen 2 (Type 82YR) (KB...
Last Post: SiberianTiger97
04-17-2024 09:48 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 216
Acer Extensa 5620: CPU replace
Last Post: MPM
04-17-2024 08:28 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 214
[REQUEST] Sony Vaio VPCEH & VPCEJ series...
Last Post: nrns
04-16-2024 08:08 PM
» Replies: 232
» Views: 98933
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
04-16-2024 02:35 PM
» Replies: 103
» Views: 24173
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
04-16-2024 07:29 AM
» Replies: 847
» Views: 324971
[REQUEST] Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315...
04-16-2024 07:28 AM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 1101

Help Flashing AMI Bios with Programmer
Hi

I recently purchased an older mini pc for vintage gaming, but in the process of unlocking the bios I stuffed up, and then it didn’t boot. I did back up the bios beforehand, using the American Megatrends tool (AFUWINx64).

So, I purchased an EEPROM programmer (CH341A), which seems to read the contents of the bios chip, and writes. I tried to restore my backup. But it doesn’t seem to boot.

The file that the CH341A programmer is asking for is .bin, and I only seem to have a .rom. I read that the files are the same, just with a different extension – but then I also read it wasn’t.

Can anyone here help me convert a .rom to a .bin, that can successfully be flashed using my programmer?

Thank you so much.

Attached is my backup of the bios (in backup.zip) and the bios from the products website (in factory.zip).

Attached Files
.zip   backup.zip (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 15)
.zip   factory.zip (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 9)
find
.bin/.rom same/same. Usually, when you backup a BIOS with software like that it's only partial BIOS update, often that is all that is online BIOS update too. This may be the issue you are having, or it could be you need to use different CH341A software for the BIOS chip you have, or recheck it's all connected properly etc. Here is guide on how to setup and use - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G...programmer

Before I can do anything about your BIOS files for sure, I need to know what system this is so I can find a full dump and see if you have complete BIOS or not (I assume missing some stuff, but maybe not critical to function)

I checked, and for this BIOS, I can say now without the info I request, that you cannot simply write the stock BIOS to the board, it's partial BIOS (BIOS region only) and inside a capsule (encapsulated/CAP). So, I need your exact full model, so I can build you a new full BIOS from your initial dump
find
(04-26-2019, 10:39 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: .bin/.rom same/same.  Usually, when you backup a BIOS with software like that it's only partial BIOS update, often that is all that is online BIOS update too.  This may be the issue you are having, or it could be you need to use different CH341A software for the BIOS chip you have, or recheck it's all connected properly etc.  Here is guide on how to setup and use - https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G...programmer

Before I can do anything about your BIOS files for sure, I need to know what system this is so I can find a full dump and see if you have complete BIOS or not (I assume missing some stuff, but maybe not critical to function)

I checked, and for this BIOS, I can say now without the info I request, that you cannot simply write the stock BIOS to the board, it's partial BIOS (BIOS region only) and inside a capsule (encapsulated/CAP).  So, I need your exact full model, so I can build you a new full BIOS from your initial dump

Hi

Thank you for your help. I am not sure whether you’ll be able to find a full dump, as its not really a widely used pc. It’s an AOpen Digital Engine DE3250. I was unaware that the AFUWINx64 utility only gave a partial backup.

The product info - https://aopensolutions.com/product/de3250-2/

The downloads from their website - http://global.aopen.com/products_downloa...?auno=3188

The bios chip that it’s using is a WINBOND W25Q64FWSSIG

The programmer is setup correctly. I was able to read and write to the chip, using the software for the CH341A programmer. It is using a 1.8v adapter which is then connected to a SOP8 test cable, which is clamped onto the chip.

I also used the flashrom software, thinking that might work instead. But it gives me an error saying that the size doesn’t match when trying to write. It is expecting an 8MB file, and I only have a 5MB one.

Bios Information:
American Megatrends Inc.

11/13/2017

System Information:
AOPEN Inc.
DE3250

Base Board:
AOPEN Inc.
iBTMx-DS R1.06
find
That's not good, hopefully I can find a dump or you can. If not, do you have access or know anyone else with same model, or at least similar like the DE3250-S? If you know of some forum/community of users with these I'm sure someone will send you a full BIOS dump. I tried to find one, no luck, even at good BIOS dump sites.

Being able to read/write only confirms it's reading and writing, that does not always mean it's writing correctly but it's probably OK. Did you write and then dump and confirm without trying to start the system that those files match? If not, do that now, however this isn't the reason it's not working, that is due to you only have partial BIOS files here (BIOS region only, missing FD, ME if used, possibly GbE if Intel Gigabit LAN, and maybe another region or two depending on the system designed usage). It will never boot without FD and ME at least (If ME used)

That is correct, as you found out, this is only partial BIOS. I checked all 6x BIOS at their site, all partial BIOS Sad
You can try email AOpen and ask for complete BIOS.bin file, tell them you will fix serial, system details etc, you just need complete BIOS for use with flash programmer.
find
Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated. I've ordered another computer (used), same model. Should arrive next Wednesday.

I will use the CH341A programmer to backup a copy of the complete bios, so hopefully that can be flashed on the other one. Would anything need to be changed, if they're identical?
find
You're welcome!

I meant to mention, maybe you could find a dead one (entire system), or dead/faulty motherboard, but I looked for a little bit on ebay and couldn't find, then forgot to mention to you.
So, seems we were thinking along the same lines Big Grin only you forgot to look for dead/faulty one first maybe? Smile

Yes, dump that BIOS and then send to me, I will make new BIOS with your old dump and show you how to do it too.
That way you keep all that boards original details (Serial, LAN ID etc) - And to make things easier on you moving forward, you'll want to unlock the FD before you program the BIOS back in there, that way you can always reflash easily with FPT after that.

And, I can help you unlock it too probably, if you want? What do you think you did that caused it to fail? From what I see, whatever you needed to unlock can be done via AMIBCP (proper version = 5.02.0023 or 5.02.0031), this includes any hidden main menus to. If you aren't sure what caused it, send me a copy of your mod BIOS and I will see if I can spot the problem.
find
(04-27-2019, 04:31 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: You're welcome!

I meant to mention, maybe you could find a dead one (entire system), or dead/faulty motherboard, but I looked for a little bit on ebay and couldn't find, then forgot to mention to you.  
So, seems we were thinking along the same lines Big Grin  only you forgot to look for dead/faulty one first maybe? Smile

Yes, dump that BIOS and then send to me, I will make new BIOS with your old dump and show you how to do it too.  
That way you keep all that boards original details (Serial, LAN ID etc) - And to make things easier on you moving forward, you'll want to unlock the FD before you program the BIOS back in there, that way you can always reflash easily with FPT after that.

And, I can help you unlock it too probably, if you want?  What do you think you did that caused it to fail?  From what I see, whatever you needed to unlock can be done via AMIBCP (proper version = 5.02.0023 or 5.02.0031), this includes any hidden main menus to.  If you aren't sure what caused it, send me a copy of your mod BIOS and I will see if I can spot the problem.

Yeah, I tried to get a broken/ damaged machine, but since this isn’t a common computer - I couldn’t find any. I even searched AliExpress for the motherboard, with no luck.

I purchased a used one for $200 AUD, which seemed okay. I might even resell it, if I don’t have any additional use.

I tried to unlock it using AMIBCP 5.02.0023 (just a few menus, changed to USER) and flashed the modified bios using AFUWIN - But it had a “Security verification failed” message come up, so I used the same tool with /GAN command. It seemed to work. I used the tool to get a backup to check - which appeared to be fine, but I did try and reopen it using AMIBCP again and it wouldn’t let me. I should’ve flashed the original back, but didn’t - so I stuffed up.

I will let you know when the other computer arrives, and will post the bios dump from that. Smile

Thanks.
find
I wondered why I couldn't find any, dead or new, that was a new one on ebay = Zero results? Big Grin

Damnnnnnnnn that is a lot for a motherboard! Did it come with CPU, memory and graphics card all soldered to the board? If not, why is the price so high?

The use of older AFU version w/GAN is the issue most likely. So you don't have the mod BIOS you flashed? If you do, upload it and I will check and see if it's OK. I do assume it's AFU w/GAN though, most of those are Version 3 made for AMIBIOS8 / Very OLD BIOS type, it's for two entire BIOS series back (like 1998-2002) vs. Aptio V now/current type (2014ish-now)

You could have used FPT, or flash programmer, but if you didn't have programmer I'm sure we could have sorted out FPT flash, at least of the BIOS region for sure.
find
(04-27-2019, 10:48 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: I wondered why I couldn't find any, dead or new, that was a new one on ebay = Zero results? Big Grin

Damnnnnnnnn that is a lot for a motherboard!  Did it come with CPU, memory and graphics card all soldered to the board?  If not, why is the price so high?

The use of older AFU version w/GAN is the issue most likely.  So you don't have the mod BIOS you flashed?  If you do, upload it and I will check and see if it's OK.  I do assume it's AFU w/GAN though, most of those are Version 3 made for AMIBIOS8 / Very OLD BIOS type, it's for two entire BIOS series back (like 1998-2002) vs. Aptio V now/current type (2014ish-now)

You could have used FPT, or flash programmer, but if you didn't have programmer I'm sure we could have sorted out FPT flash, at least of the BIOS region for sure.

Sorry, I meant to say that I bought the DE3250 computer used, not just the motherboard. It has everything inside it - Also, 8GB Ram, 128 GB SSD, & Windows.

The version of AFUWINx64 that I used is v5.05.04. I have attached the modified bios rom, which was a backup using the same utility & modified in AMIBCP v5.02.0023. Smile

Attached Files
.zip   bios.zip (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 5)
find
Ahh, that sounds much more reasonable price then Big Grin

Since you used that AFU that has /GAN, it's possible it wasn't AFU/GAN caused that, or it still may be for other reasons (I hate AFU, due to stuff like this, only use it as a dead last resort because there is usually at least 1-2 other better options)

I see changes at Logo module, another unknown GUID under that, and 100's of changes at vBIOS module/orom, and many 100's of changes at another orom too. So either you made some other changes and forgot to mention, or that version of AMIBCP messes up this BIOS on save always, or just happened to glitch that time (hard to know there?)

All the changes you made with AMIBCP, settings-wise, went in correctly, that file is fine (AMITSE>>SetupData submodule), all these others I mentioned above are below this module, so if you didn't change any of those, it's possible that it glitched on rebuild and messed up several modules, or would always do that with this BIOS (I'd have to make some changes on a test copy and test/compare again, will do now) I get same/same with 0023 or 0031 (Both those edits match, so version doesn't matter) This may be OK, and it may have just been bad flash at random, or AFU/GAN Fail, hard to know without more testing.

Aside from that BIOS looks OK to me, and this differences I see could all be due to rebuild/normal. It could be random bad flash, always happen with AFU/GAN on this model/BIOS, or could be any AMIBCP edit will cause it to fail and any edits would need to be done without AMIBCP, only more tests and flashing would figure it out for us
find