Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424185
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3563
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 225
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 256
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223871
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119108
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6743
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 358
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309538
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61907
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 571
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20226
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169165
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6270
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 774
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5741
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61122
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274957

Intel T7600 64bit CPU on HP Compaq nx9420 laptop
#1
Hi,

I’m in the process of refreshing my old HP Compaq nx9420 laptop. After successfully upgrading the SSD HDD and memory, I’ve tried to replace the original Intel Core Duo T2600 (32bit) with Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 (64bit), but without success (I had 2 CPUs to try)- the computer simply doesn’t even boot up. According to specification, it should be capable of running the new CPU with the latest BIOS, even since version F.1A.

Would there be anyone willing to confirm this and/or modify the latest BIOS to support the new CPU, perhaps unlocking also further (desktop-like) functionality in the process?

I’m not sure who’s the original BIOS manufacturer as this information is not visible anywhere. The only information I have is that it’s HP branded 68YAF Family ROM, latest version F.1D from July 11, 2008, Computrace OPTION ROM version 866. The motherboard is using Intel i945PM rev 03 chipset.

Thanks.
find
quote
#2
Make a good photo from top of your T7600 and write down all labels on it.
And post a screenshot of third (Mainboard) tab of CPU-Z.
find
quote
#3
(10-23-2020, 11:10 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Make a good photo from top of your T7600 and write down all labels on it.
And post a screenshot of third (Mainboard) tab of CPU-Z.

Hi, sorry for bit of a late reply.
Here are the pics of the two T7600s I have available and the CPUz CPU (showing current CPU) and Mainboard pages. Please note the BIOS version shown is F.1A, which I’ve tested as a downgrade, as it was the first one that shall have introduced these new CPUs. Latest I have normally installed is F1.D from 11/07/2008):

CPU1 Labels:
LF80537 T7600 7641A018 SL9SD
2.33/4M/667 INTEL M C 06 04
D17128 01 ID4

CPU2 Labels:
LF80537 T7600 7641A018 SL9SD
2.33/4M/667 INTEL M C 06 04
D17128 01 IH5

Thanks a lot!

               
find
quote
#4
This laptop with BIOS version F.1D has support for T7600 - https://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/4322041
Two CPUs have the same serial number. I think they are fake.
And labels on them aren't original.
find
quote
#5
(10-25-2020, 09:38 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Two CPUs have the same serial number. I think they are fake.
And labels on them aren't original.


That’s exactly what I thought as well. Chinese origin, price £25. First I thought who would bother, but then - it’s not too difficult to make the casing for a fiver in China. When the second one didn’t work either I’ve asked around and apparently MB version might be an issue. But why would anyone restrict standard i945PM so it wouldn’t work with this particular CPU.

Would you happen to know a source, who would have these guaranteed genuine and functional? There’s plenty on eBay, but all China.
find
quote
#6
(10-25-2020, 10:04 AM)phantomski Wrote: Would you happen to know a source, who would have these guaranteed genuine and functional?
No.
find
quote
#7
Is it still worth trying to mod the BIOS just to make sure?
find
quote
#8
I already wrote:
DeathBringer Wrote:This laptop with BIOS version F.1D has support for T7600 - https://browser.geekbench.com/geekbench3/4322041
find
quote
#9
No probs, thanks. Will keep trying.
find
quote
#10
So, just to give you an update - I did eventually get a refund from the Chinese seller. The reason? - yep, BOTH of the CPUs had a same serial number, as spotted by @DeathBringer. Thanks! I can’t believe I haven’t spotted this! So obviously either one or both are fakes, despite what they’ve been originally saying. This seller has almost 100% positive rating and hundreds of CPUs sold on profile...
Upon receipt of the photos they’ve refunded the money straight away and didn’t even ask for a return.

Anyway, I’ve ordered a new one from different seller and that one worked first time without any issues whatsoever.

Many thanks for help, all is sorted now and good old nx9420 is now happily humming at max available config Wink
- Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7600 64bit 2.33GHz
- 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (667 FSB) - yes only 3.37 are addressable
- 512GB Crucial SATA SSD
- Win 10 64bit and Ubuntu 20.10 64bit

Happy days.

Btw, BIOS was not an issue, all worked even on old version F.1A
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)