Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 800
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108070
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1315
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3543
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9218
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8769
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14367
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425671
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3845
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 536
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 725
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227684
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119725
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 390
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7002
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 626
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310628
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62229

Lenovo T420 Ivy Bridge Support - i7-3540M
#1
Not quite sure if this is possible, but I figured it would be worth a shot at the least.

I currently have a Lenovo T420 laptop with a QM67 chipset, and a i5-2520M processor (which is replaceable.) There are few upgrade options possible, but these are restricted to Sandy Bridge processors (which quad cores are included but not recommended.)

1. The most recent BIOS was released in 2013 as "1.46," to which the entire executable can be found on this page: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/migr-77071. I have not tried extracting the actual BIOS out of the file though yet.

Interesting thing to note is that this BIOS updated the microcode list, but I have no idea if this includes Ivy Bridge processors (I honestly doubt it.)

2. I have not tried installing the CPU yet, but the usual symptoms for putting a Ivy Bridge processor is no screen output, but the computer does act like it boots up and halts. Someone did try this with a T520 in early 2013: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-Th...063/page/2.

3. No AIDA installed, but I can include a screenshot from a page in CPU-Z if that helps. If necessary, I can try to get AIDA64 for this.

4. The actual SSPEC code for the i7-3540M (production version) is: SR0X6.

5. QM67 *might* support Ivy Bridge processors, and I vaguely mention one manufacturer allowing them to work (so I will need to hunt around for a donor BIOS.) So far, I am just finding dead ends.

6. As mentioned, this may or may not be possible. I have also heard that they are not compatible on the electrical level for power or signaling (so this may need more than just adding or replacing a microcode.)

If nothing else, I would be curious to see the full reason why Ivy Bridges were not allowed to be used in the older chipset.

Thanks!
find
quote
#2
Ask to Oleh He is very Expert on Lenovo Bios, so write to him a PM and He
will help You surely !
Regards

[size=undefined]Your Brain [/size]. . . . It's the best tool U can use ! Wink
[size=undefined]Don't FLASH the Bios Mod if You get a Size Alert, You risk a Brick !!! [/size]
Donate to me for my work, click here BDM
find
quote
#3
Thanks for the reply, I will do that then.
find
quote
#4
Photo 
Here Is screen from CPUID:
   

Also attached is output from FPT_BACKUP-BIOS.exe. My installed bios is 83ET67WW (1.37 ).


Attached Files
.zip   BIOSBAKK_64.ZIP (Size: 2.08 MB / Downloads: 6)
find
quote
#5
I was able to get in contact with him, but he doubted that QM67 could support Ivy Bridge after all. However, that was not the major issue.

When I talked to him, he asked if I had a hardware flasher available (unfortunately, I have nothing that sophisticated.) He then noted that flashing Lenovo BIOSes was not possible unless done through a hardware device (so not via the software that Lenovo provides for their official BIOSes.)

Of course, it does look like you can update the BIOS through software, but only for the official versions. The hardware flasher may be required for anything modified (and thus, no longer becomes cost effective and I would be better off selling the laptop.)

If this is the case, no Ivy Bridge for T420.
find
quote
#6
Ok I will write to Oleh and give to him this Bios Mod version flashable from Windows
so He will unlock Descriptor and set all flashable from Windows then all will be more easy !
Regards

[size=undefined]Your Brain [/size]. . . . It's the best tool U can use ! Wink
[size=undefined]Don't FLASH the Bios Mod if You get a Size Alert, You risk a Brick !!! [/size]
Donate to me for my work, click here BDM
find
quote
#7
If it can be done, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Just noticed something:
https://www.bios-mods.com/reviews/unlock...15z-l511z/

This uses the HM67 chipset, and the article mentions adding Ivy Bridge support to it. Not quite QM67, but close. So, it might indeed be possible.
find
quote
#8
Hello, I have i5-2520m sandy bridge CPU in my rPGA988B (G2) socket T420. I want to get a better GPU and that's only possible with a new generation intel CPU which is any Ivy bridge CPU with HD4000 in it.

Is it possible?
find
quote
#9
Unfortunately, No. Your Chipset is HM65, Ivy requires HM76/HM77.
find
quote
#10
Did anyone ever find out more about this or if it is even possible? Still hanging onto the laptop out of hope (just in case.)
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)