Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 103
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424444
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3618
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 279
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 205
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 305
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224493
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119167
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 273
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6786
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 405
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309716
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61963
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 623
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20277
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169308
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6345
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 824
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5796
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61200

MSI K9VGM-V
#1
Hi everyone,

In the BIOS Cell menu [1], there is an Adjust CPU FSB Frequency option but the maximum allowed value is 232MHz whereas I succeeded in changing it to 285 with the MSI DualCoreCenter tool [2].

I would like to change this myself (to not bother you) but neither Modbin6 versions I tried nor awdbedit let me change the value.
As there is no tutorial, I have to ask here.

I would be very glad if I could reach the 2GHz.
---
Motherboard : MSI K9VGM-V
BIOS : v1.8
---

Thanks in advance !

---
[1] What a strange name...
[2] These settings only apply when the software runs. Otherwise, my CPU frequency defaults to 1.6GHz
find
quote
#2
Hey,

As the quote goes "sometimes people see what they want to see" I checked your findings in Modbin, and indeed there is an option under Cell Menu, but it does not say Adjust CPU FSB Frequency, it simply says Current FSB. This means that it is merely a readout of your current FSB and not the actual setting to change it.

Thanks,
TheWiz
www find
quote
#3
Well, I wouldn't be sad about it if I were you. This board uses an old VIA chipset having no PCI/PCIe locks, which means that any FSB higher (or lower) that the default 200MHz is a ponential threat to the other PC components.

X3 445 @ X4 B45 Deneb | Prolimatech Megahalems @ CoolerMaster Excaliburs | ASUS M3A78-T | 4x2GB DDR2-800 PNY | 1 TB WD Black | ASUS HD4870 @ Accelero TwinTurbo Pro | Theater 550Pro | CoolerMaster HAF 922 | Zalman MFC-1 Plus | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Microlab TMN-1 | Chieftec APS-550S | Samsung 206BW
find
quote
#4
Thanks for your quick answers.

@TheWiz :
I don't know what you did but you can believe me : I can change the FSB in the Cell Menu :
see my screenshot

If you need another proof, just go to the Manual tab from the MSI K9VGM-V link and you should see a BIOS screenshot page 11 (p17 from the PDF).

@presola :
My CPU is AMD Sempron 3000+ and I was told that it was very stable up to 2.4GHz
I ran Prime95 and OCCT (FSB@280) for an hour and no error occured.
I'm just using a PCI-E 16x slot for my GeForce 8800GT

I think you're experimented and you know what you say but the BIOS let me change the FSB up to 232 so I guess this value is safe, isn't it ?

I know overclcking can cause overheating and so cause damages but during my tests, the CPU never exceeded ~40°C (reasonable right ?)

I'm quite new in overclocking so any advice is welcome.
find
quote
#5
The VT8237A southbridge is quite old - it was first used in combination with the KT400A northbridge, if I remember correctly. As all VIA chips, it lived a long life, mainly because of it's low price. Well, that price was low because it lacked several features it's competitors had - like PCI/AGP locks (yes, it was designed for motherboards with AGP slots!), proper SATA implementation, etc, etc. But it was great to build budget mobos, targeted to the non-clocking ordinary user - one who doesn't know what a BIOS is, nor does he want to know.

Now, to get to the point here. As you may probably know, overclocking in not officially endorsed by all hardware vendors - despite their hardware being advertised as clocked, clockable, featuring industrial-grade components for better overclocking, etc. In this case, your motherboard is a rather budget one, and the FSB adjustment option is there just as an added bonus. Unless MSI has added custom PCI/PCIe dividers in the BIOS (I've seen this phenomena in a Gigabyte s.478 mobo some time ago), overclocking with this board is just shortening your other components' life.

To prove my point a little, here's some basic info and calculations. The standard PCI frequency is 33MHz, and the standard PCIe is 100MHz. If there are no custom dividers added, the following happens:

PHP Code:
FSB PCI PCIe
========================
200MHz 33.3MHz 100.0MHz
232MHz 38.6MHz 116.0MHz
280MHz 46.6MHz 140.0MHz

The PCI and PCIe frequencies are far from nominal and are definitely not safe for your VGA, mobo, hard drive and any other add-on cards you may or may not have installed in your system.

X3 445 @ X4 B45 Deneb | Prolimatech Megahalems @ CoolerMaster Excaliburs | ASUS M3A78-T | 4x2GB DDR2-800 PNY | 1 TB WD Black | ASUS HD4870 @ Accelero TwinTurbo Pro | Theater 550Pro | CoolerMaster HAF 922 | Zalman MFC-1 Plus | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Microlab TMN-1 | Chieftec APS-550S | Samsung 206BW
find
quote
#6
Oh ... many thanks !

I was tempted because you know 1.6GHz is very low nowadays.
But after all, a low but working computer is better than a dead one so I will stay at 1.6GHz.

We always want what we can't have
find
quote
#7
Interesting, seems the newer version of MODBIN didn't show that setting. I'm pretty sure though its editable I'll try just for fun later.

TheWiz
www find
quote
#8
(06-23-2010, 07:33 AM)Igbaäl Wrote: Oh ... many thanks !

I was tempted because you know 1.6GHz is very low nowadays.
But after all, a low but working computer is better than a dead one so I will stay at 1.6GHz.

We always want what we can't have

You can always get a second-hand motherboard with good clocking abilities for almost next to nothing. IMO, the most clocking AM2 boards were those with nForce 4 Ultra - as a matter of fact, until recently I was using such a board - the good ol' EPoX MF4 Ultra-3 Wink

X3 445 @ X4 B45 Deneb | Prolimatech Megahalems @ CoolerMaster Excaliburs | ASUS M3A78-T | 4x2GB DDR2-800 PNY | 1 TB WD Black | ASUS HD4870 @ Accelero TwinTurbo Pro | Theater 550Pro | CoolerMaster HAF 922 | Zalman MFC-1 Plus | X-Fi XtremeMusic | Microlab TMN-1 | Chieftec APS-550S | Samsung 206BW
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)