Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 68
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424312
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3594
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 258
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 191
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 287
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224197
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119152
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 265
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6771
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 382
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309637
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61948
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 603
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20257
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169215
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6312
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 805
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5774
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61165

Need help recovering a corrupted BIOS
#1
After much time spent trying to determine what is causing my problem, I determined it was a corrupted BIOS. I have this compaq desktop that will only get to the compaq splashscreen and freeze. You are not able to enter into any menus -- it's as if the keyboard is dead. Even after removing every single component except for absolute minimum, it still does the same thing. I've even used a known good power supply, swapped the RAM with known good RAM and even tested the original RAM (tested with no errors). That leaves me to say the motherboard is bad.

I assume the BIOS is AMI. I am not sure on this however. I cannot determine for sure which manufacturer makes it. How exactly do I find this out?

Motherboard is an ASUS A8AE-LE. Computer is a Compaq Presario SR1834NX. I tried the AMI recovery method (using a floppy with the .rom on the disk). Upon start, the floppy disk drive does not appear to be accessed (no green access light appears).

Update: Again, I really don't know if it's AMI or AWARD. I assume from the ROM file I found that it's AMI. The way I got the ROM file was by downloading the installer from Compaq then opening it as an archive using 7zip and pulled out the ROM (315.rom). I then did some poking around here to discover CDs and flash drives are potential devices to use as well. Upon boot neither the flash drive nor the floppy seems to be accessed. However, the CD-ROM drive does seem to have activity. I assume if there's activity (green access light flickers for 5-6 seconds) there could be hope? Perhaps I'm erring in the way I'm putting the file on or which file or that I have the wrong BIOS manufacturer?

Update 2: I kept thinking over and over that there has to be a way to connect another PC to this one. A way to directly communicate with the BIOS to flash it. Well sure enough I came across a few things about people who have actually done it.

http://superuser.com/questions/29221/is-...ios-update

First answer. I found something similar to what he found, just not by the southbridge. It has 9 pins instead of 7. I don't know if it's my direct access way or not. This computer is dead, probably will be tossed. I have nothing to lose. Thoughts?

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zg43cy.jpg
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)