Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
Today 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 35
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
Yesterday 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 99
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
Yesterday 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1221761
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
Yesterday 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 118847
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 127
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6617
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 224
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 308847
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61673
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 421
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20060
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 168729
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6102
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 641
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5595
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 60881
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274773
Advanced BIOS Unlock machenike l15p
Last Post: ztazzy
09-20-2026 09:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 747
[REQUEST] Hystou S200 BIOS unlock
Last Post: Onyicho
09-20-2026 05:58 PM
» Replies: 33
» Views: 24716
[REQUEST] Lenovo G500 (78CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: imtemporaryhelloworl
09-19-2026 07:06 AM
» Replies: 1235
» Views: 694630

Novice User Video Card General Question
#1
I'm a beginner looking for a few answers to general questions. I don't even know if what I want done can be done. I've recently purchased a video card for my laptop which my motherboard doesn't recognize. I believe this is because the BIOS is just outdated. The connection is the same, it fits (needs a little heatsink grinding, which I've put off til I get an answer for the BIOS thing), and it even consumes less power than my old video card (according to specs).

There are rumors that there is a BIOS modification out there which can handle this MB/video card combination (according to my distributor), but I can't find it. I've read the first two chapters of BIOS Disassemly Ninjutsu, and found I still had questions. Is a BIOS really only a set instructions to assign addresses? Does something else take over in communicating with the video card once the BIOS tells it where it resides?

How simple/complicated is it to modify a BIOS to recognize a newer PCIe video card? How can I know if the new card uses the same communication protocols as the last? (ie, is PCIe 2.0 just a connector type, or is it a communication standard as well?) This kind of thing seems to be more than just an "unlocking" for overclocking, as it seems to required an injection of new information, is this true? Do I need to have more specific information about the new video card? If this is too complicated for a novice, where on these forums should I submit a request for this type of modification? Should I post it in CPU Support Upgrades or is this an Option ROM kind of thing?

Specifics:
MB: Clevo D900F/Sager NP9280
BIOS: Pheonix 1.00.03i (there's a 1.00.04 official version, but my distributor has confirmed that the official releases only support nVidia up to GeForce GTX 480M)
Old VCard: nVidia GeForce GTX 280M
New VCard: nVidia GeForce GTX 560M

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)