Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 92
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 101474
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 516
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 2869
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 7257
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6980
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14336
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 245
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425400
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3834
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 524
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 325
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 544
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227401
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119531
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 384
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6989
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 611
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310549
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62216

Precision M6600 encrypted bios
#1
I remember a while back that some attempts were made at modding the bios on the M6600 series from dell.

I think the conclusion was that they are encrypted or use a proprietary table setup in the bios itself.

Has this changed and if it hasn't what can be done? Thanks.
find
quote
#2
Any update on this? Willing to work with anyone on this; would even pay for results.

Thanks!
find
quote
#3
Any update?

find
quote
#4
Do you have flash programmer? Looks editable to me, but may take a few initial test methods first before we find correct method to enable more menu sections. If you have flash programmer, please post image of your BIOS now, so all main sections are visible.

If you do not have flash programmer (Ch341A) and SOIC8 test clip cable, order those now and post back when they arrive. It's only $3 and $2.50
find
quote
#5
PhoenixTool can unpack this exe-file.
BTW: it looks like AMI Aptio IV BIOS. So you can try to dump current BIOS by afudos.
find
quote
#6
Yes, I dumped 4MB BIOS with python from the exe, it can be edited in AMI tools, and via module extraction etc, so I think progress can be made with this BIOS after a few test trying different methods.

I agree, dumped BIOS may be best/safest one to edit too, thanks for the suggestion DeathBringer
Try to make a dump of the BIOS with AFU, from command line or DOS
AFU /O bios.bin

https://ami.com/en/download-license-agre...tility.zip
find
quote
#7
I honestly forgot about this thread. I have a programmer that I used to flash a dell Vbios onto a 7970M MXM card for this laptop.
I also have a spare M6600 that I can test a modded bios on.
find
quote
#8
Since you have a programmer, post a dumped BIOS and lets play around and see how it goes. Or, I can edit the BIOS I extracted, up to you?
I assume it will be fine, I was helping user with M6700 and several different mods, including unlocking MSR 194 unlock over here if you want to read the progress as we edited, should be OK to mod!

The M6700 board has 4MB + 8MB BIOS, so if this one does too, maybe best to edit a dump instead via AFU, or FPT I think will give 12MB dump, or Programmer per chip (I can combine, or we leave as 4MB/8MB)
find
quote
#9
(11-08-2018, 01:03 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Since you have a programmer, post a dumped BIOS and lets play around and see how it goes.  Or, I can edit the BIOS I extracted, up to you?
I assume it will be fine, I was helping user with M6700 and several different mods, including unlocking MSR 194 unlock over here if you want to read the progress as we edited, should be OK to mod!  

The M6700 board has 4MB + 8MB BIOS, so if this one does too, maybe best to edit a dump instead via AFU, or FPT I think will give 12MB dump, or Programmer per chip (I can combine, or we leave as 4MB/8MB)

Alright, I will tear down the laptop soon and look for the bios chips.
find
quote
#10
Sorry for the delay but the holidays can be brutal!  Wink
So I purchased a used M6600 motherboard ($65 on Fleabay) as a replacement and dumped both bios chips.
The first chip is a Winbond W25Q16 and the second is a MXIC MX25L6406E, however my Flashcat detected it as a Winbond W25Q64FW.
I'm not sure what bios version this is but it will be in the laptop soon and I can run the Dell Bios update utility.
I will also dump after updating the bios.
Hope this helps!
The current motherboard posts the LED code for a CPU error. 
However, it will boot up after restart and only happens on cold boot.
System is also sluggish even after fresh imaging. 
And a used system pull board was only $65 on Fleabay.

Picture in link and bios dumps attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YrRfOfp...sp=sharing


Attached Files
.zip   Bios dumps.zip (Size: 157.46 KB / Downloads: 18)
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)