Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14001
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 107
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424470
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3622
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 286
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 206
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 308
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224555
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119174
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 274
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6790
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 409
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309730
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61965
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 625
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20280
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169331
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6353
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 828
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5799

[Request] HP EliteBook 8730w BIOS unlocking
#1
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I come here seeking help with unlocking my BIOS. The reason I want to do that is because I would like to play around with Windows 8. Windows 8 requires a processor based operation XD - eXecution Disabled (for Intel processors), or NX (AMD) to be enabled.
HP has decided to not offer me the chance to toggle this on and off in BIOS and I would like to have this option.

I have read through sticky threads. I would like to discover if my BIOS is RSA signed or not, but I do not know where to find the so called "Andy's tool" - unfortunately, I do not know Andy (I recomend a link or any sort of pointer to how to find this tool in the stcky thread (thank you admin)).
Also I don't know what bricking the BIOS means, although I am comfortable with opening my laptop and pulling out the BIOS battery if that is all it takes to solve the bricking.

In my first attempt to unlock the XD function, I (quite naively) went to the HP support site, downloaded the latest BIOS and upgraded; so my version is F.20.
I read through this thread: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-RE...20-sp55640 and discovered that this might have been a critical error.
I understand that unlocking this BIOS will probbably not be possible, I then present a question - is it possible to downgrade to an older F.13 version ? And could then the F.13 be unlocked ?

Quick Facts:
Computer Model: HP EliteBook 8730w
BIOS version: F.20 - sp55638, if possible to downgrade: F.13 - p51310
Links: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...b-102327-1
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Tec...ob-90127-1

Thank you for your time and for putting up with someone who is not as versed in BIOS as you lot are.
find
quote
#2
Take a look in your bios under System Configuration - Device Configurations and make sure the one called Data Execution Prevention is enablet.

That is what HP is calling the Intel XD on my HP Elitebook 8530p so that should be where it is on your 8730w also.

I am also on F20 here and i did try both using a USB stick called HP_TOOLS and from the HP_TOOLS efi partition to downgrade and it dont seem possible.
find
quote
#3
Thank you very much Mushishi. I have no idea how I have missed that, I must have gone throug the entire available BIOS at least 5 times before posting here.

Just so anyone who stumbles upon this post knows, windows 8 does work on HP EliteBook 8730w !
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)