Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 806
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108089
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1316
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9220
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8771
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14370
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425676
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3848
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 538
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 726
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227725
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119727
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7003
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 627
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310636
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62234

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
(07-02-2012, 06:49 AM)jkbuha Wrote: Yes, except that I cannot find any of the GUID files that are referenced from the push statement Smile

for instance, push 73 B7 41 E5....8F
I can't find a 73B7....ROM, or a B773....ROM, or any combination, big or little-endian.
Do you know how variables in the stack are dimensioned (single byte, double, quad etc)?

They're not necessarily file GUIDs. They are more likely to be the GUID of the protocols published by the modules while they're executing. You'll have to search contents of the main .rom files (the ones starting with MZ).


Accoding to the PEI and DXE spec, the structure is dword-word[2]-byte[8]. So only the first part would be little endianed, while the last 8 would be big-endianed.

If so {000a010b-020c-030d-040e-101a121b131c} would be stored as

0b 01 0a 00, then 0c 02 and 0d 03, and finally 04 0e 10 1a 12 1b 13 1c
find
quote
Ok let's see if I understand this properly, and please let me know if I haven't.

The setup browser utility module is CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86(_1_xxxx.ROM). The _2_xxxx.ROM doesn't have any GUID calls (neither does the _0_). In theory then, it shouldn't have any GUID dependencies itself, but it may actually publish some itself in the main module (_1_). Seeing as the only publishing in the module appears to be the GUID of the file itself (CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86) I then did a cross reference in all the rom dump files to find any other module that accesses this dependency (search C494EFCF dword) but the only module that comes up is the setup browser utility itself! Is this reasoning correct, that the setup browser has no dependencies, and no other modules depend on the setup browser?
find
quote
How did you deduce that the only publishing done in the program was the file's GUID?

BTW, I'm learning this as I go. So don't take what I say as solid fact, only as it being the way I understand what I'm reading from the specifications and finding in the dumped files. So I may be totally off in left field on any or all of this.
find
quote
Quite simple. I used this method.

1) Take a module which publishes only one dependency - eg: 0c7f41a9-0a6f-43f6-a0d9-1e2d01dbd7be_2_xxxx.ROM
2) Extract the dependency: 02 (12 4c ce 96 e4 55 1c 4a bb f3 73 a5 05 5f b3 64) 08 - corresponds to 96ce4c12-55e4-4a1c-bbf373a5055fb364
3) Search through all the roms which have a call for this dependency - there are 7 modules which reference this depex

So the above process works. You were right about depex publishing.

Now verifying for main bios module:

1) Check to see if main bios module has similar depexs (in _0_, _2_ ROMS - nothing)
2) Search through bios module to see if any depexs are referenced (using IDA) - only one: CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86
3) Search all modules for this (dword-double-endian) GUID, only 1 module: CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86
find
quote
Ok, bear with me here. I work nights and it's now almost 12pm where I am, so I'm getting a bit slow.

What do you mean by "main bios module"?
find
quote
(07-02-2012, 11:07 AM)ryan_975 Wrote: Ok, bear with me here. I work nights and it's now almost 12pm where I am, so I'm getting a bit slow.

What do you mean by "main bios module"?

Sorry - my untechnical english.

I meant the setup browser utility (SBU) module - CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86(_1_xxxx.ROM). So the SBU module appears to be publishing only one depex in its main code, that is only referenced by itself, unlike, say 0c7f41a9-0a6f-43f6-a0d9-1e2d01dbd7be_2_xxxx.ROM, which publishes a depex that is used by 7 other modules.
find
quote
oops.. I just made a dumb move. My laptop's going to be dead for a couple days now... At least now I know ONE of those Dell DXE's are required to boot. Smile
find
quote
oh bad luck dude Sad what did you do??
how do you intend to bring it back - replacement or do you have a bios recovery method?
find
quote
I removed all the Dell named DXE modules to see if maybe there was some default drivers that were being blocked by Dell's. The laptop still boots.. to a point. but I'm guessing one of those modules contain the OS boot handoff. So it just sits there with a blank screen. (It does access my USB drive, and tests the hard drive. Plus Ctrl-Alt-Del resets the system. So it's not completely dead, just confused. Big Grin

As for recovery, I'm going to take the backup battery out to see if maybe there's some residual configuration settings causing it to hang, if that doesn't work, and no other known recovery method works, I'll have Dell overnight me a new motherboard thanks to their expensive Accidental Damage program Big Grin I
find
quote
hmmm - sorry to hear that ryan.
I heard you can put the original BIOS.WPH file on a bootable USB and PhoenixDell will read it on bootup, but I've never managed to activate this function successfully. You might have better luck Smile

Good luck with the replacement/recovery!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 28 Guest(s)