Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Last Post: Tim82
Today 09:08 AM
» Replies: 508
» Views: 101033
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Today 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2517
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Today 07:23 AM
» Replies: 139
» Views: 40958
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Today 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 332
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Today 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55302
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64127
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4095
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 02:25 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6564
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Yesterday 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 142
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
Yesterday 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 88
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52171
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167126
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 237
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 325
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 139
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 125
[REQUEST] Lenovo S310 & S410 (8BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: morgley
03-25-2024 10:43 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6331
Acer Nitro ANV15-51 Bios Bin File Reques...
Last Post: Papethzkie23
03-25-2024 06:04 PM
» Views: 137
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: si1975
03-25-2024 01:28 PM
» Replies: 468
» Views: 125406
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: TalKaz
03-25-2024 11:10 AM
» Replies: 844
» Views: 317060

ASUS Zen Pro UX501VW: identify BIOS chip & complete BIOS file from chip
Hi,

My Laptop ASUS Zen pro UX501VW (N501VW_Rev2.0 motherboard) went dead couple of weeks back, so i gave it to ASUS service center, they mentioned to change the motherboard, which is very costly for me so i gave it to local repair shop, they make it to supply the power but in odd way, i mean as soon as, I  plug the charger the cooling Fan runs, Led on the power key, F2 Key and Caps Lock turns on by itself without pushing power button  but no display and CPU was getting was very hot. They also tried to update/Mod the BIOS but nothing worked.

somewhere i read that, in case of CPU heating you have to deassemble and reassemble the laptop that i did and after that CPU is not getting hot but all rest of the conditions are  the same(as mentioned above) except one of the the 8 pin "WINBOND Chip" (Chip-2) is getting very hot within in 5-10 sec. as soon as power is supplied.

I have few questiones below:

1. Does any one know what could be the issue?
2. I am suspecting this could be BIOS issue and trying to flash the BIOS through USB mini Programmer but before i do that, does any body know if there are 2 BIOS chip in this board or only one.
3. In the image/URL below of board which one is BIOS chip (Chip -1 or Chip 2) - Locar reapir shop guy said both are BIOS but, I don't see that as per their description from board shemantic.
4. And what is EE_Hold means on Chip-2 Description

Here are the Images for reference: - Please suggest. - Thanks

Board Shemantic Image - https://ibb.co/iLs1nf
[Image: iLs1nf]
Actual Board Image - https://ibb.co/czZ0DL
[Image: czZ0DL]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

find
Most likely W25Q64FV

The issue is poor repair work done by that company, take it back and tell them you do not accept this terrible work and instant power on stuff. They shorted something to keep it powered on, which is very bad. Sounds like they may have replaced the power connector (DC IN)? If yes, take it back and tell them to do it again, it's wrong and causing a short possibly.

But yes, all this other power on stuff could also be due to BIOS issues, not the other chip getting very hot instantly that's not normal at all.
When they gave it back, was it supposed to be working? They may have messed up the BIOS, in many ways, corrupted the ME section, wrote a .cap BIOS to the board instead of .bin/.rom etc (Even if this comes with .cap BIOS, this is not what you write to the board, you must extract body of the capsuled file with UEFITool, then you will write that .bin file)

This is pin one of that chip, in case you were not sure. If you have a cable that is a gray set of bundles cables, this pin is where red wire goes
[Image: WA8WnR0.png]
find
(11-02-2018, 01:39 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Most likely W25Q64FV

The issue is poor repair work done by that company, take it back and tell them you do not accept this terrible work and instant power on stuff.  They shorted something to keep it powered on, which is very bad.  Sounds like they may have replaced the power connector (DC IN)?  If yes, take it back and tell them to do it again, it's wrong and causing a short possibly.

But yes, all this other power on stuff could also be due to BIOS issues, not the other chip getting very hot instantly that's not normal at all.
When they gave it back, was it supposed to be working?  They may have messed up the BIOS, in many ways, corrupted the ME section, wrote a .cap BIOS to the board instead of .bin/.rom etc (Even if this comes with .cap BIOS, this is not what you write to the board, you must extract body of the capsuled file with UEFITool, then you will write that .bin file)

This is pin one of that chip, in case you were not sure.  If you have a cable that is a gray set of bundles cables, this pin is where red wire goes
[Image: WA8WnR0.png]

Thanks so much for your reply and helping me to identify BIOS chip and pin#1

Yes, I gave them a dead laptop and it was supposed to be working after fix but they couldn't fix.
They have not changed the DC IN but updated and MOD the BIOS, what they mentioned. what file they used for BIOS update i am not sure.

I am planning to update the BIOS using CH341A programmer and got the BIOS file from ASUS website (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/N5...WAS305.zip) for this model, after unzip this file, it returned only one file 'N501VWAS.305' that i used to extract the body of the capsuled file with UEFITool that returned one '.rom' file with almost same size of original downloaded file.
I think that's how i am suppose to create .bin/.rom file for BIOS flash?

Thanks again for your help.
find
You're welcome.  I suppose a broken BIOS could possibly cause some chip to overheat like that, maybe they also flashed that chip with incorrect EC firmware or something?  Are you sure they did not remove and put on a new DC IN connector?  Does it look like new solder work there, or does the PCB area in general there look more shiny than rest of PCB?

A lot of the time Asus BIOS is not complete BIOS, only BIOS region and is missing FD, ME, GbE regions.  And I checked your BIOS, this is the case here with BIOS download from Asus site.  So, that may be what they messed up too, writing only this file will not work for two reasons, it's incomplete and it needs to be removed from capsule as I mentioned (Plus other regions added back in after that)  Or they/you could have dumped your original messed up BIOS, extracted BIOS region from Asus download, and replace the BIOS region in your dumped BIOS, then program back to the chip.

Yes, .rom or .bin extracted from capsule with UEFITool will be 2KB smaller, but this is missing the other regions I mentioned so cannot be programmed as it is.  You need to first dump your current BIOS contents, make sure you get a verified backup (memory/buffer and chip match), then open in hex and make sure it's not all FF"s or upload to have someone check it.  Then hope that is a complete BIOS with all regions, and not a messed up BIOS region only programming from the repair people.  If it is, then we will need to find someone's dump of this exact model to use to rebuild a complete image for you to program.

See, here is comparison of dumped BIOS 8MB (I Got one for you already! Smile) and BIOS download from Asus 6MB, so fixed BIOS file will follow to use with your programmer.  However, you should still go through the dump/verify process so you can find which software version and chip ID works best for your setup (I think version 1.3 and choosing W25Q64BV not FV works best for that chip)  Plus you need to do this anyway so you can get your serial, UUID and LAN MAC ID to put back into the BIOS and reflash again (I'll help you do this with FPT once your back up and running)
(click to enlarge)
[Image: x6wbcR9.png]

Here is software package with many versions, and driver install
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gtcmvd

Here is fixed BIOS for you to use, this will get you running provided nothing is physically damaged on the board, but does not have correct LAN MAC ID so Ethernet LAN will not work until we put back in correct ID from your dump (Hopefully they did not wipe this out during there "Fix" session)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/27229x

I have unlocked the FD for you, per this guide, so you can do next time before you flash any BIOS that way it stays unlocked. This allows for easier flashing via Intel FPT and easier updating Intel ME too.  See section "B" second spoiler image.
https://www.win-raid.com/t3553f39-Guide-...icing.html
find
Smile 
(11-03-2018, 12:48 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: You're welcome.  I suppose a broken BIOS could possibly cause some chip to overheat like that, maybe they also flashed that chip with incorrect EC firmware or something?  Are you sure they did not remove and put on a new DC IN connector?  Does it look like new solder work there, or does the PCB area in general there look more shiny than rest of PCB?

A lot of the time Asus BIOS is not complete BIOS, only BIOS region and is missing FD, ME, GbE regions.  And I checked your BIOS, this is the case here with BIOS download from Asus site.  So, that may be what they messed up too, writing only this file will not work for two reasons, it's incomplete and it needs to be removed from capsule as I mentioned (Plus other regions added back in after that)  Or they/you could have dumped your original messed up BIOS, extracted BIOS region from Asus download, and replace the BIOS region in your dumped BIOS, then program back to the chip.

Yes, .rom or .bin extracted from capsule with UEFITool will be 2KB smaller, but this is missing the other regions I mentioned so cannot be programmed as it is.  You need to first dump your current BIOS contents, make sure you get a verified backup (memory/buffer and chip match), then open in hex and make sure it's not all FF"s or upload to have someone check it.  Then hope that is a complete BIOS with all regions, and not a messed up BIOS region only programming from the repair people.  If it is, then we will need to find someone's dump of this exact model to use to rebuild a complete image for you to program.

See, here is comparison of dumped BIOS 8MB (I Got one for you already! Smile) and BIOS download from Asus 6MB, so fixed BIOS file will follow to use with your programmer.  However, you should still go through the dump/verify process so you can find which software version and chip ID works best for your setup (I think version 1.3 and choosing W25Q64BV not FV works best for that chip)  Plus you need to do this anyway so you can get your serial, UUID and LAN MAC ID to put back into the BIOS and reflash again (I'll help you do this with FPT once your back up and running)
(click to enlarge)
[Image: x6wbcR9.png]

Here is software package with many versions, and driver install
https://www.sendspace.com/file/gtcmvd

Here is fixed BIOS for you to use, this will get you running provided nothing is physically damaged on the board, but does not have correct LAN MAC ID so Ethernet LAN will not work until we put back in correct ID from your dump (Hopefully they did not wipe this out during there "Fix" session)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/27229x

I have unlocked the FD for you, per this guide, so you can do next time before you flash any BIOS that way it stays unlocked. This allows for easier flashing via Intel FPT and easier updating Intel ME too.  See section "B" second spoiler image.
https://www.win-raid.com/t3553f39-Guide-...icing.html

Hi,

First, thanks for puttiing so much time and effort to provide all the information and steps with such great detail. I really appreciate.

Here what i did and outcome.

1. Took the dump and verify from the chip (it matched). It is the complete BIOS (8 MB) with ME region.
Here it's the file from the chip : https://www.sendspace.com/file/ntlzvv
also attached to this post.

2. Wrote the BIOS file you provided back to chip.

Result after BIOS update
a. Again system instant started after connecting power and LED light turned ON, on power key button, F2 and Caps Lock Key (same as earlier)
b. The Chip-2 mentioned earlier even got very hot instantly (I almost burned my finger  Smile ) after connecting power, earlier it was getting hot but it was taking some time 5-10 sec.
c. Earlier cooling fan was running when power was connected but after update that didn't run.

I put the BIOS back to chip from the backup that i took initialy and, it started behaving same like earlier (fan running, Chip-2 was getting hot but not instantly)
Looks like defeintly a BIOS issue. Not sure how to get a complete BIOS dump for same model from a working machine. I'll request for the same in new request/Post, if you can get it that would be greate help.

Thanks.!

Attached Files
.zip   Dump_UX501VW.zip (Size: 3.96 MB / Downloads: 5)
find
Hi,

I am looking for complete BIOS .bin/.rom file from BIOS chip from a working ASUS Zen Pro UX501VW model.
BIOS file on ASUS website is not a complete file, it's just with updates.

Thanks.!
find
So, the BIOS I provided in second sendspace link on post #4 does not work? If not, then you have some other physical issue with the board, some short or something blown, causing that EC rom to get instant hot (This usually some transistor or power regulator, resistor, or capacitor leading to or from that chip is blown)

That BIOS I provided is complete BIOS dumped from working system, with updated BIOS region swapped in from latest BIOS on Asus website.
But, since you now have dumped your BIOS, and it looks OK (meaning this might not be BIOS issue at all), I made you a new BIOS with latest Intel ME (Incase ME was corrupted) and swapped in latest BIOS region from Asus again, with unlocked FD. So, this is same as above, only more updated and already will have your board specifics in it such as serial, UUID, LAN MAC ID etc
https://www.sendspace.com/file/den979

Can you dump the W25Q80 EC chip for me, maybe it can help me find a dump for it, although I doubt this will help, worth a shot to try and find one so we can compare and make sure they didn't mess that rom up.
find
(11-03-2018, 11:00 PM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: So, the BIOS I provided in second sendspace link on post #4 does not work?  If not, then you have some other physical issue with the board, some short or something blown, causing that EC rom to get instant hot (This usually some transistor or power regulator, resistor, or capacitor leading to or from that chip is blown)

That BIOS I provided is complete BIOS dumped from working system, with updated BIOS region swapped in from latest BIOS on Asus website.
But, since you now have dumped your BIOS, and it looks OK (meaning this might not be BIOS issue at all), I made you a new BIOS with latest Intel ME (Incase ME was corrupted) and swapped in latest BIOS region from Asus again, with unlocked FD.  So, this is same as above, only more updated and already will have your board specifics in it such as serial, UUID, LAN MAC ID etc
https://www.sendspace.com/file/den979

Can you dump the W25Q80 EC chip for me, maybe it can help me find a dump for it, although I doubt this will help, worth a shot to try and find one so we can compare and make sure they didn't mess that rom up.

Hey, Thanks again..

Yes the BIOS provided on post#4 didn't work but the latest one you provided on  https://www.sendspace.com/file/den979 worked same as dumped one that I provided, so BIOS looks good, i think.

And today i found out something interesting on position of that EC_ROM chip(Chip-2) on board.
Luckily i had the snapshot of motherboard before i gave it to repair and when i compared with current (after repair) the chip is placed in opposite direction. I think this is causing the issue.

Here are the before/after reapir images.

Before Repair the dot on chip is facing down - https://ibb.co/muWpV0

After Repair the same dot is facingup - https://ibb.co/h2MEV0

And last I tried to read the EC_ROM chip (On chip it says - WINBOND-25Q80DV, 1537) from progammer by considering Pin#1 postion where the dot is there on chip, i also tried from opposite side also but in both case, programmer didn't show the Chip Info(Manufacturer, Memory Name etc..) after reading it showed all zeros on file but when checked 'BLANK' option on progammer is says not Blank. it looked all NULL to me but here is dump file attached at bottom of this post.

Here is the the programmer image - https://ibb.co/nzCtOL

If you could please provide me the EC_ROM .bin file from a working machine from same ASUS model, i can try writing that and check.
but i think i need to repositon the chip correctly.

Pl. let me me know your comments.
Thanks.!

Attached Files
.zip   EC_ROM.zip (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 5)
find
Sweet you fouind this chip issue, yes that would cause immediate heatup.
It's nearly instant nearly fire finger melting heat, I've done this a few times when using flash programmers, so know that heat very well Smile

And yes, exactly the EC chip is on backwards! It's possibly still OK, I've ran chips like that for a few minutes before I noticed and they've been OK
But, it could be damaged, only way to find out is put it back on correctly.

Pin one is always that dot, or paint in that corner etc. You may simply need to try a few versions of software until you find one that reads W25Q80 correctly, it's not a common chip for BIOS. Try software 1.19-1.29 and see if you have any better luck read, if not try 1.31. I checked the attached and it's not blank, it's all zeros, that could be due to incorrect software version used or erased due to being shorted so many times. Before you try other software versions, see if you can enter the ID manually (ie select another non-exact ID like W56Q80BV or FV instead of DV, or no letters only W25Q80) If you can get a valid dump, it may be OK and just need to reverse that chip via desolder/resolder.

So far, I've only been able to find EC for N501JWAS (BIOS that contains the EC)

Maybe you can ask this company to send you the backup files they made before they started messing with the board (Or a stock EC FW), while you're on the phone with them complaining about the EC BIOS chip being placed on backwards Smile
find
(11-05-2018, 12:32 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: Sweet you fouind this chip issue, yes that would cause immediate heatup.
It's nearly instant nearly fire finger melting heat, I've done this a few times when using flash programmers, so know that heat very well Smile

And yes, exactly the EC chip is on backwards!  It's possibly still OK, I've ran chips like that for a few minutes before I noticed and they've been OK
But, it could be damaged, only way to find out is put it back on correctly.

Pin one is always that dot, or paint in that corner etc.  You may simply need to try a few versions of software until you find one that reads W25Q80 correctly, it's not a common chip for BIOS.  Try software 1.19-1.29 and see if you have any better luck read, if not try 1.31.  I checked the attached and it's not blank, it's all zeros, that could be due to incorrect software version used or erased due to being shorted so many times.  Before you try other software versions, see if you can enter the ID manually (ie select another non-exact ID like W56Q80BV or FV instead of DV, or no letters only W25Q80)  If you can get a valid dump, it may be OK and just need to reverse that chip via desolder/resolder.

So far, I've only been able to find EC for N501JWAS (BIOS that contains the EC)

Maybe you can ask this company to send you the backup files they made before they started messing with the board  (Or a stock EC FW), while you're on the phone with them complaining about the EC BIOS chip being placed on backwards Smile

Hi,

Yes, i called them today and mentioned about the putting chip backward, luckily they kept the backup of EC_ROM. now i have to correct the chip position via desolder/resolder (that i am bad at  Big Grin ) and write EC ROM program back to the chip.

Let's hope it works, will let you know.
find