Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
Prime Сasual Dating - Authentic Maidens
Last Post: whyacer
Today 10:28 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1
Superlative Сasual Dating - Actual Girls
Last Post: Breakthru81
Today 10:18 PM
» Views: 4
Superlative Сasual Dating - Actual Women
Last Post: maxxie
Today 10:15 PM
» Views: 3
[Request] Acer Aspire Z1620 (h61h aio v1...
Last Post: spingernexx
Today 06:09 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 96
[REQUEST] Lenovo G505 (82CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: khaos
Today 04:15 PM
» Replies: 155
» Views: 55098
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: FCR28
Today 10:59 AM
» Replies: 1971
» Views: 660942
Asus Prime b250m plus, RAM compatibility
Last Post: Slayery777
Today 06:23 AM
» Views: 111
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Request Clevo W230...
Last Post: happycrazyman
Yesterday 03:53 PM
» Views: 84
Rog Strix B650E-F BIOS File Extraction
Last Post: panmetrix24
Yesterday 11:25 AM
» Views: 105
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Pipo89
Yesterday 06:47 AM
» Replies: 236
» Views: 69528
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: onetapxdf
Yesterday 03:37 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1339
[REQUEST] Lenovo G400S (7BCNxxWW) Whitel...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 03:14 AM
» Replies: 203
» Views: 70542
[REQUEST] Lenovo V570(c) (44CNxxWW) BIOS...
Last Post: d3m3n7r
04-22-2024 05:20 PM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 11153
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y520-15IKBN (4KCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: ati90
04-22-2024 05:02 AM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 36978
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: SteamTug
04-22-2024 04:24 AM
» Replies: 1734
» Views: 545358
[REQUEST] Lenovo G410 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Dudu2002
04-22-2024 03:58 AM
» Replies: 53
» Views: 10775
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: Brutoloco
04-21-2024 08:22 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 553
[REQUEST] LG GRAM 14T990 Unlock request
Last Post: riclausk
04-21-2024 12:15 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 4241
[REQUEST] SLIC 2.1 for ASRock 880GM-LE F...
Last Post: amijim
04-21-2024 10:27 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 129
[REQUEST] Dell Alienware 15 R3 BIOS Unlo...
Last Post: jason.exe
04-21-2024 03:44 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 184

Dell Inspiron 7537 UEFI, SLIC 2.1 request
So I didn't find anything for this laptop, except that it seems the Phoenix Dell BIOSes are tough to crack (SecureCore?). Do I have any hope of getting SLIC 2.1 for this Dell?

Laptop Model: Dell Inspiron 7537
Newest BIOS version: A13
BIOS Locations: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03073347M/1/7537A13.exe

Thank you in advance for trying!
find
Wink 
Yes! Thank you for also lending a hand in 7537 BIOS modding!

I don't have much experience with modding. I've tried extensively to make a mod for this laptop, and just gave up after a while. Sorry Sad

Here are some tips that I used to learn more about modding this BIOS:

STEP ZERO: In your BIOS, DISABLE Secure Boot and ENABLE legacy (OPROM/MBR) booting. It will let you boot into DOS for flashing the BIOS or enable the use of some tools.

1. Try some earlier versions available on Dell's website like A12 or A11 to see if there's anything that has changed or made easier. Not much of a help, but hey, you might be lucky! (The BIOS is not a SecureCore Tiano BTW, just plain ol' SecureCore, which means the BIOS might be RSA-encrypted)

2. Extract the BIOS .rom file directly from the .exe file (you could either use BIOS Backup Tools or run the EXE file and go into your %appdata% folder. There will be some folder inside that folder that says something like "DOH50A13.rom" or "DellInc.-A13.rom" which is the original ROM file you're looking for.

3. Use AndyP's SLIC tool (you will need a MyDigitalLife account to view it) and read its manual for more information. The Phoenix BIOS Editor tool did no good for me; as for flashing, neither the manual WinPhlash tool or the Phoenix UEFI Flash tool worked, unfortunately.

4. You should get yourself a UEFI shell -- it can help you change some values of the system (maybe edit the NVRAM, perhaps?).

You should not create a keypress shortcut as described in the XPS 15 L15z article; it does not work.

However, you can create a boot option in the BIOS menu -- simply boot into the USB thumb drive, type fs1:, copy the Shellx64.efi file onto (fs0:?) whichever filesystem is your main hard drive or SSD (cp shellx64.efi fs0:/EFI) and add it as a boot option in the Boot menu (call it Shell, press tab until your main SSD or HDD is highlighted, then type EFI\shellx64.efi or something like that).

5. Use donovan6000's Universal IFR Extractor to get information on DXEs or modules in plain English (maybe exploit the OP_SURPRESS_IF 0 --> 1 part for advanced options?).

The DellSplashLogoDxe module is for the awful UEFI Dell logo. (Rant) At least give us an option to disable it or have some kind of business tool like you did before, Dell! The logo burns my eyes, especially when booting from an HDD! (End Rant)

The (DellAdvancedSetupDxe?) PlatformHiiAdvancedDxe file has the hidden and locked "advanced options". You can extract it manually (it will create some kind of .DUMP file) in AndyP's SLIC tool.

6. Try flashing BIOSes in DOS. It may not work, as with me, Phlash16.exe said it was an "invalid BIOS file" :/

7. Based on what BDMaster said, you can use a SPI programmer, however I wouldn't recommend it.
It's a very "cheaty" way of modifying the BIOS; on the other hand, an SPI programmer can help you learn more about the underlying BIOS and change hex codes directly.

8. Here's another useful resource (a WIP) that might help you out a little bit (an unlocking guide for Phoenix BIOSes).

9. Overclocking may require all-out SPI programming because of the chip's security. It may not be needed at all, though.

10. Words of wisdom: Persistence is key. Good luck.

NOTE: Upon installing and using the UEFI shell, transferring to an SSD from a HDD made some weird console underline thingy appear upon booting. This is normal when Secure Boot is disabled.
find
Lightbulb 
Also see my two frustration threads for some details/insight on the process. (Download links to my files are taken down due to security/privacy reasons)

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-D...7-A13-BIOS

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-R...SecureCore

Good news: The Dell 3537 laptop has been modded with overclocking options, which means some progress has finally been made! (The BIOS maker is Insyde though, which is easy peasy to mod Angry)

Good luck, as always!

- Exec360
find
Hey Exec360, thanks for all the tips! Lot's of useful info.

I have never modded any BIOSes before, and wouldn't mind learning. But I don't think starting with one of the hardest is the way to go Wink

Still if you need something from my BIOS to help you out let me know. And good luck to you too!
find
(02-20-2016, 05:32 PM)JJWW Wrote: Hey Exec360, thanks for all the tips! Lot's of useful info.

I have never modded any BIOSes before, and wouldn't mind learning. But I don't think starting with one of the hardest is the way to go Wink

Still if you need something from my BIOS to help you out let me know. And good luck to you too!

Hey JJWW,

Thank you for the nice reply!

I have yet to find a working tool that will test to see if a modified BIOS can be flashed properly on Windows itself or if an SPI programmer is needed.

Unfortunately, BDMaster has taken down the file and made it private to himself only.

His tool was not for the right motherboard for this laptop.
However, I have inferred from the results that the motherboard is NOT an Intel-based motherboard, which are easy to modify.

DOS may not work because the BIOS is either RSA-signed or only UEFI flashable.

Here's a good forum to find BIOS modding tools:
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/25-BIOS-Mods
find
Crap, from what you're saying it looks very unlikely that it'll be cracked. That's too bad.. I really wanted to go back to Win7. Especially after reading the ridiculous Win10 (no)privacy policy....
find
(02-23-2016, 03:39 AM)JJWW Wrote: Crap, from what you're saying it looks very unlikely that it'll be cracked. That's too bad.. I really wanted to go back to Win7. Especially after reading the ridiculous Win10 (no)privacy policy....
Yeah, cracking this BIOS is very unlikely.

If all you wanted to do was downgrade to Windows 7, you just have to insert the USB drive or DVD in a portable optical disk drive and disable Secure Boot to do so or downgrade within the 30-day window they give you (Settings application > might be in Updates?)
find
I don't think I have downgrade rights ... I think only win 8 pro comes with that option....
find
(02-26-2016, 11:57 PM)cJJWW Wrote: I don't think I have downgrade rights ... I think only win 8 pro comes with that option....

Do you have different original Windows 7 installation media that you bought (the same version that came with your computer -- Home Premium, Pro, etc.) and your OEM license key?

If you do, you may be in luck to at least have a slim chance of downgrading.

The original key might be hidden in your BIOS as an SLP file.

Download and install RW-Everything. Get the ACPI tables and click on the MSDM part. It should work for Windows 7 -- http://superuser.com/questions/513904/ho...795#593795

If the installation media is on a disc, you'll need a USB optical disc drive. They go for around $30 or so...
I'd recommend this one (I have it myself) www.amazon.com/Samsung-Portable-External-SE-218CB-RSBS/dp/B00DBV28TG

If it is not on a disc and you have the other copy with the license key (the key has to be non-OEM to download the ISO), enter it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software...d/windows7

You can download the ISO file from there and burn it to a disc or a USB drive (recommended).

As the computer starts up, repeatedly press F2 to enter the BIOS, enable legacy mode in the boot settings, set legacy as the default boot mode (for later) and disable Secure Boot. Save your settings on the last tab.

Now, repeatedly press F12 to go to the boot menu and boot from your USB drive or your disc drive.
You can now install the same version of Windows 7 with your OEM license key. It works because the computer doesn't have internet access and the key is hidden in the BIOS. (When it does have internet access, it'll see an OEM copy anyway.)

Remember to format your main boot drive (either your HDD or SSD) before full installation as an MBR disk so booting into the OS will work!

As an added bonus, no bloatware is installed on the side! Big Grin

Remember to install compatible Windows 7 drivers for your laptop. I'd recommend installing the original Synaptics driver over the bloated Dell trackpad driver (even though it's less accurate, it works anyway).

After all that, enjoy Windows 7!

- Exec360
find
Question 
On the other hand, I am looking at SPI BIOS programming and it doesn't seem too challenging.

EDIT 7:55PM: I'm getting an SPI programmer and some test clips!! Big Grin Should arrive next Monday or Tuesday.
I'm not sure about fully modding the BIOS chip yet because I don't know what hex values need to be changed.

Maybe @BDMaster here knows about specifics of overclocking and unlocking advanced settings.

I wish the best of luck to other Phoenix BIOS modders too in learning the details of the SecureCore BIOSes.
find