Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 786
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 107983
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1312
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3540
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9212
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8761
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14353
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 250
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425626
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3840
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 532
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 331
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 722
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227531
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119707
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 387
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6997
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 619
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310581
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62223

GA-7IXE4 k7 support
#1
Hi,

is it possible to add athlon-xp support for this board?

gigabyte states that it will support upto athlon 1400, the fastest cpu supported by this 100MHz chipset. I have an athlon-xp1600+ (ie 1400 clock 100MHz clock) that should work but it is not recognised.

It's currently kitted out with a 700 meg athon so the upgrade would be great.

I'd also like to be able to set Vcore (non adjustable on this auto detect bios) . The xp mobile will run as low as 1.3V and while I have run these things at 1.75V for o/c I'd rather not abuse it if I don't need to.

I've got a few ideas about doing the mod but have don't have a full enough disassembly of amibios yet, and realised maybe I'm reinventing the wheel.


http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/products/prod...id=1364#sp
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-7IXE4.html

It is running the FAd latest BIOS release above. It's an AMIBIOS.

Is this doable?

BTW this mobo is useful for hardware reasons, it has two ISA slots that are needed for special hardware interfaces. Otherwise I would not bother. (Apart from the fun of it.)
Wink
find
quote
#2
Sorry but im unable to open this bios file for modding!

None of my tools will open it!

Admin
find
quote
#3
(09-06-2010, 06:47 AM)1234s282 Wrote: Sorry but im unable to open this bios file for modding!

None of my tools will open it!

Admin

thanks for looking. I found that AMIBCP7.6 was able to open it and extract modules. I runs from DOS only . Earlier versions that worked within windows I found to report "can't open that file" or something similar. I was mostly running from Wine but got same result on win2k.

AMIBCP can extract all modules but will not allow changing the basic ones like runtime and post. I also found that if I altered individual setting on the menu and diffed that saved bios there were literally hundreds of changes for one trivial on/off change.

This is noted elsewhere as a known problem. This may be a bug or non-std Gigabyte trick (probably bug or version mismatch).

I'm looking at making a change by modding a module or adding a new one. That much seems to work correctly.

Now I need to know what to change and where...



find
quote
#4
Your BIOS has been successfully patched for all AMDk7 CPU steppings, and AMDK7NOW! support. Please flash at your own risk. I have also corrected Bus Disconnect Support and additional display features.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/7IXE4cpu.rom

Thanks,
TheWiz

www find
quote
#5
(09-06-2010, 11:14 AM)TheWiz Wrote: Your BIOS has been successfully patched for all AMDk7 CPU steppings, and AMDK7NOW! support. Please flash at your own risk. I have also corrected Bus Disconnect Support and additional display features.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/7IXE4cpu.rom

Thanks,
TheWiz

Fast work ! I'm impressed.

I'll have to wait to test since it has a soldered in BIOS , so I need to find a spare chip do some surgery first.

I don't think these earlier versions had the control-home "get out of jail card" so I need to go carefully.

I'll post back once I have a test result.

Thanks again for the speedy work.

find
quote
#6
Good plan, it would be interesting to hear how you prepped the board for the spare chip as wel.

TheWiz
www find
quote
#7
(09-06-2010, 03:27 PM)TheWiz Wrote: Good plan, it would be interesting to hear how you prepped the board for the spare chip as wel.

TheWiz

The idea is to unsolder the enable pin on the built-in chip and carefully solder a wire to each contact pad so as to attach a ZIF socket. This should enable a clean hot-flash and pre-empt any problems with a faulty bios image.

BTW I see you added a couple of modules to add the new steppings etc. What tools are needed to do this? What makes them get used?

What new features get unlocked? The config looks the same unless I'm missing something.

thanks again.
find
quote
#8
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have the same motherboard and it would seem wasteful to make a new thread.

An old machine I have, has the GA-7IXE4 motherboard. Would the above modded BIOS allow me to use the unsupported processors in this list? http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-7IXE4.html

Would it be possible to implement USB boot support, so the motherboard will then support booting from USB devices?
find
quote
#9
I too have this motherboard and wonder if this hacked BIOS posted by 'TheWiz' works properly and what are the new limits of what CPU I can install. I realize the FSB of the motherboard is 100/200MHZ so obviously Athlon XP chips would be underclocked but it would be awesome if I could put in a "high-end" Barton core and run it at ~1600MHZ with low power consumption and more work clock per clock than the original Athlon K7.
I have an Athlon MP 2800+ Barton core server chip laying around, I wonder if that would work.
Best utility to flash the BIOS? -> I'll google this since I'm sure it's been asked a bazillion times.
find
quote
#10
Installed the modded BIOS and installed an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ ( http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD-Ath...DMT3C.html ) which worked straight away. Shame it only runs at 1265 MHz, but the machine is much quicker now.

What's the fastest CPU I can install in thise motherboard, using the modded BIOS and no hardware mods/hacks?
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)