Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST]Lenovo Thinkcenter m715q gen2 p...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Today 09:11 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
sgx enabling bios help
Last Post: wafa
Today 08:08 AM
» Views: 22
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Sergio717
Today 05:17 AM
» Replies: 656
» Views: 167486
M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM3 Support Request
Last Post: Alxstroi
Yesterday 11:08 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 71439
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 10:51 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 6607
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-30 (A7CNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: carmelletomato
Yesterday 07:29 PM
» Replies: 46
» Views: 22108
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:04 PM
» Replies: 140
» Views: 41057
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Yesterday 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 117
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317363
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Yesterday 10:51 AM
» Replies: 487
» Views: 101148
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Yesterday 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2530
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Yesterday 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 353
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Yesterday 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55368
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64155
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4110
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
03-27-2024 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 157
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
03-27-2024 04:08 AM
» Views: 109
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52247
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 251
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 339

General Question About BIOS modding
From what it appears, people don't modify the OEM bios update from the manufacturer's website. Instead it seems like each and every computer has to do a BIOS dump and then someone modifies that file. This makes that file worthless to anybody else, even if they have the same laptop.

So just a couple of questions:

1) Is there a reason way the generic OEM bios updates can't just be modified to remove the whitelist so everyone can enjoy the same file?

2) Sounds like I would use something called "Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0" to dump a copy of my working Lenovo G500 InsydeH20 Bios. Is that the same tool that would then flash the newly modified bios?

3) It seems like there are many people willing to do the mod for me, but is there some reason why I can't do it myself? Is there just a tool I need to download to remove the whitelist (or Whitelist check) code?

4) I'm looking to replace my WiFi card with one that can connect faster. I don't mind using another 'approved' wifi card and not mess with this whole bios thing, however is there any way to extract out this infamous WhiteList to see what my choices are?

Thank for any info and I look forward to educating myself.
find
I'm not sure where your getting the idea that people don't modify the bios rom that comes directly from the OEM. People like to post backup's of their bios that were created by tools like "Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit", but we usual just ignore that and ask for a link to the official update. The guy who made that utility says that he can't gaunrentee that it'll work perfectly for every chip, so I personally don't trust backups generated by it Tongue

I wrote some tutorials a few months ago on my blog about modding Insyde bios. However some of the stuff in there is outdated now. Going to start rewriting a lot of my tutorials on this site soon, and I'm going to make them a whol lot better Big Grin
find
(01-04-2014, 01:04 PM)donovan6000 Wrote: I'm not sure where your getting the idea that people don't modify the bios rom that comes directly from the OEM....

I was trying to keep my post generic but as I read other post specifically for my Laptop model I'm seeing people say that trying to use a modded BIOS for another identical laptop would brick any other.

Everyone was taking dumps of their specific BIOS, getting it modified, and then the new BIOS would be deleted from the web link.

In addition, the BIOS from Lenovo comes as an EXE. So not sure how one would get the actual BIOS file out from it (another reason I thought people were required to do a BIOS dump first)

I'll check out your post.. thanks for the info.
find
A bios dump contain serial number, windows cdkey, network mac address and bios password... etc. If you will flash a password protected dump, your notebook will be unusable unless you know the password. Also if you write a dump to 2 PCs from the same network, the network will stop working because they have same mac address.
find
.EXE is just one of the standard Microsoft OS executable formats. There's also standard libraries for compressing files into the executable that most popular archiving software can deal with. So opening the executable with programs like winrar, win zip, 7zip, etc will show all the stored files in it.

Also when running the executable, all the files, including the bios rom, will be extracted to a temporary directory. They are usually extracted to one of several different places like C:/, C:/users/name/AppData/local/temp/, C:Windows/, etc.
find
(01-04-2014, 02:56 PM)donovan6000 Wrote: .EXE is just one of the standard Microsoft OS executable formats. There's also standard libraries for compressing files into the executable that most popular archiving software can deal with. So opening the executable with programs like winrar, win zip, 7zip, etc will show all the stored files in it.

Also when running the executable, all the files, including the bios rom, will be extracted to a temporary directory. They are usually extracted to one of several different places like C:/, C:/users/name/AppData/local/temp/, C:Windows/, etc.

What with extracted bios file that is different in size and can not be used as such for direct programming with eeprom programmer?
HP newer bios are like that.
find
(01-09-2014, 06:01 AM)Ludonja Wrote: What with extracted bios file that is different in size and can not be used as such for direct programming with eeprom programmer?
HP newer bios are like that.

All bios roms are like that. Your bios chip actually consists of several regions: flash descriptor, GPE, BIOS, ME firmware. And there can even be more than that. The bios upates from your manufacture are only designed to update the bios region of the chip, which is why the size of the rom isn't what you'd expect Tongue

You'd have to dump the bios with an eeprom programmer to get a full dump that can be flashed back with the programmer.
find
Well I took from bios chip original program witch is not working. Usually need to download bios program from official site and fill chip with it.
Now I still can do that but laptop is dead after that. Smile
If you have some idea or advice to share with me and rest of population here be free to shot. Smile
find
(01-09-2014, 03:08 PM)Ludonja Wrote: Well I took from bios chip original program witch is not working. Usually need to download bios program from official site and fill chip with it.
Now I still can do that but laptop is dead after that. Smile
If you have some idea or advice to share with me and rest of population here be free to shot. Smile

How did you brick your laptop? There are recovery procedures that can be preformed depending on what manufacture your computer is from.
find
I will check your blog for sure. Wink You suggesting me to try with USB and win+B keys?
Till now nobody succeed to do that.
find