Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 806
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108089
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1316
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9220
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8771
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14370
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425676
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3848
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 538
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 726
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227723
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119727
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7003
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 627
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310636
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62234

Need some help with a Dell motherboard.
#1
If this belongs somewhere else, I apologize.

My mom is using a Dell Dimension 4500S. The integrated video, for whatever reason, has been locked to specific resolutions by the vBIOS. There are reports of people running high resolutions on the i845g IGP, but the Dell won't even run Intel's specification of 1440x900.

The IGP supports no higher than 1280x1024, which looks terrible on a 16:9 monitor. If anyone has any experience hacking vBIOS, some assistance would be amazing. Thank you.

The BIOS is located here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&deviceid=308&libid=1&releaseid=R47030&vercnt=3&formatcnt=0&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4500S&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&dateid=-1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&impid=-1&checkFormat=true
find
quote
#2
I remember reading something,few time ago.
That was inspired by a patch from linux for custom resolutions.
Search for 855resolution or 915resolution and try to apply ,or add some custom resolution inside VBIOS.
find
quote
#3
I've seen those. I was under the impression that those were utilities that functioned within Ubuntu, which I have no intention of installing on my mother's PC. She's barely familiar enough with Windows.
find
quote
#4
That was a patch on the-fly on shadowed VBIOS,and was necessary to apply each time computer start.
My advice was to use this idea and mod VBIOS to make it definitive.

For linux too was some time ago a GRUB patch,that I recommend for testing since this way no risk to brick anything.And once you found what you need to patch inside VBIOS,just mod it and flash your BIOS.

Unfortunately I can;t find what and where I read an example of applying what patch to to shadow RAM to VBIOS.
find
quote
#5
I have absolutely NO idea how to do any of that.

I do, however, know that Intel made the 845G vBIOS public.

If you know how to or can direct me to someone who knows how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea why Dell limited the resolution. I just want the thing to run at 1280x720.

EDIT: http://www.jeffsplace.net/projects/bios_hack

This may be the sort of thing you said you couldn't find.
find
quote
#6
Yes,that was what I talked about.
You need to decompress - extract bios modules,mod VBIOS to required resolution,remeke checksum,insert VBIOS (remake some checksum) and compress BIOS then flash it and hope will work.
Maybe someone here with more experience will help you more.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)