Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 460
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 104590
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 979
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3355
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 8480
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8161
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14340
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 248
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425526
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3837
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 527
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 328
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 666
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227444
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119624
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 385
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6993
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 614
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310556
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62217

[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5 A515-54G
#1
Hi, I come to you referred from @Lost_N_BIOS from the Win-Raid forum.

We (mostly him, I barely understand the stuff) are trying to unlock all of the settings the BIOS for the A515-54G has to offer, and if at all possible changing the boot Acer logo for a custom one.

I have access to a CH341A programmer and I successfully made a dump of the ROM content from its Winbond 25Q128JVSQ chip (both through flashrom and AsProgrammer), after inspection of the board no other BIOS ROM chip was found, but I'll attach pictures of it as well and more if necessary. We were also able to unlock flashing through FPT (after vars editing through H2OUVE 2), which is preferable to be honest but if using the programmer is the only way to go I have no problem with it.

I'll be attaching both clean dumps, the one from the programmer and the one from FPT to this post as well.

The only change we were able to make to the BIOS successfully is updating the microcode for the processor (attached info on which one it is), the other changes didn't stick.

For example, I made a boot logo and replaced all of the Acer ones with equivalent (same format, same size, etc.) images. No luck, I keep seeing the Acer one at boot instead of the one I chose. I also tried swapping the Acer ones with those for Gateway (the BIOS comes with boot images for Acer, Gateway and PackardBell) to be sure they're as perfect match as they can be -> No luck either.

My guess would be that the logo I'm seeing at boot is located somewhere in the BIOS in another form, because I used the Linux' "file" command to locate all images and replaced any that looked as a boot logo. But that's where I'm out of my depth (same as editing the assembly itself).

We've been using UEFITool 25 to replace the menu section (DriverSampleDXE/SetupUtility) after editing and as far as we can tell, that's the right file. For another test, I tried replacing it with the one from 1.11 before the SATA operation mode was hidden under Ctrl+S at Main tab and it showed up just fine.

Summing up:
- The currently available BIOS is 1.18, no ME firmware is present in the BIOS nor was it ever upgraded manually.
- The appropriate BIOS from the 1.18 package is ZAW2, but having dumps from FPT or direct from the ROM it may not be needed after all.
- The only modification that was successful seems to be microcode updating, menu unlocking (the main objective) or boot logo replacement are not.
- The dumps attached are from 1.18 clean, without any modification whatsoever. Secure Boot, TPM, any kind of password, were disabled in BIOS. The only change is that the dumps were created after applied modified vars with H2OUVE to allow FPT flashing to be permanent.

Could anyone look at it and do the modding required please? We'd appreciate any pointers on what could have been missing, but if a successful mod is done we could possibly find out later on.

Thank you in any case for all your time and effort, trully,
Kao.


Attached Files
.rar   Base dumps.rar (Size: 5.64 MB / Downloads: 33)
.zip   Wolf Logo.zip (Size: 104.17 KB / Downloads: 9)
.zip   Board pictures.zip (Size: 14.2 MB / Downloads: 13)
find
quote
#2
(07-24-2020, 04:34 AM)KaoDome Wrote: Hi, I come to you referred from @Lost_N_BIOS from the Win-Raid forum.

We (mostly him, I barely understand the stuff) are trying to unlock all of the settings the BIOS for the A515-54G has to offer, and if at all possible changing the boot Acer logo for a custom one.
Hi
Your mod completed. Check your messages

This mod for this notebook ONLY !!!
find
quote
#3
Good day, I also have A515-54G, but the full model A515-54G-54KW will I go this BIOS? And if you can't send it?
find
quote
#4
how do I dump the BIOS without disassembling the laptop?
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)