Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.64 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Today 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 277
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Today 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55273
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:16 PM
» Replies: 138
» Views: 40938
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64118
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
Yesterday 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4094
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 02:25 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 6555
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Last Post: drradkin
Yesterday 12:30 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 2500
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
Yesterday 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 135
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
Yesterday 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 81
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52160
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167049
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 230
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
Last Post: Dudu2002
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 322
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 133
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 116
[REQUEST] Lenovo S310 & S410 (8BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: morgley
03-25-2024 10:43 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 6326
Acer Nitro ANV15-51 Bios Bin File Reques...
Last Post: Papethzkie23
03-25-2024 06:04 PM
» Views: 133
[REQUEST] Lenovo G710 BIOS Whitelist Rem...
Last Post: si1975
03-25-2024 01:28 PM
» Replies: 468
» Views: 125390
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: TalKaz
03-25-2024 11:10 AM
» Replies: 844
» Views: 316993
[REQUEST] Toshiba Satellite A300D PSAK0C...
Last Post: 1000palladium
03-25-2024 10:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 227

(UEFI) Dell XPS 15z L511z modded BIOS - and HOWTO
Ho All ,

However I'm not free now as I'm studying for my next exam , but there is something you need to knew to avoid wasting your time Smile

1) the bios is UEFI and its structure is totally different from normal phoenix .
As a result its impossible to open it using PBE tool .
when i try tracing options or menus , i use ida disassembler and andys tool no more .

2) UEFI has advanced structure and not easily broken by mods .
when i do something wrong in the menus setup module , the result is just noteboom will not able to access setup setting , But its able to boot normally ..
Its the same when modifying vbios , if something wrong , only this module will not work .
The same for all module except sensetine ones like boot block .
So , if you manage to only mod menus and vbios WITH TAKING CARE IN THE FLASH PROCESS ( like keeping battery charged and connected so nothing bad happen when electricity is down and so on ) ,,,, then , i think no need for recovey now .

3) i don't knew how to mod vbios but i knew only about checksum and bios structure , other modules and modifying some other things ( this is for UEFI )

Thank you and Happy new year for you all Smile
Ahmed

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Smile
find
thx ahmed, I apreciate your explanation and time, specially with a lot of stuff pending to do like exams.

as for the moment, my modded bioses work fine getting the vbios moded by nvitor, wish I could use also the new vbios version, but for the moment its ok if there is no way to switch them.

when you will finish the exams, I would apreciate a little help for the logo splash logo replacement by another custom logo or show the POST messages.

like you said, there is only a chance to break modded modules, however the splash module is a part of the normal boot, I mean, if I flash a corrupted splash module, will the system bypass the splash and boot normally, or will it keep stuck at the fail splash forever? being unable to boot, wich can be considered like a brick.

find
Hey all - happy new year!

@Kasar - I'm not sure if my subsystem ID was different - the version seems to be set with the firmware. That said it may be the reason why it's not working on yours. Just for your info, under device manager my HW ids are as follows: 10DE & 0DF5 & 04461028. Hope this helps!

@Ahmed - Thanks for the info! I've had a look at the raw code inside the BIOS hex files and there are some very interesting options (overclocking, undervolting, changing GPU card priorities) that I can't wait for them to be enabled Smile There's a document I've been given in another forum:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16173714/Unlock%...torial.pdf

We can't use PBE for our UEFI ROMs, but the method is a very interesting way to be able to unlock the BIOS menus. Sounds a bit risky IMHO but I'll wait for your expertise when you return from your exams Smile

Cheers
jkbuha
find
Hi Jkbuha ,

This document is for standard phoenix bios unlock not for the UEFI and the UEFI is totally different Smile
Did you find the setup module for your UEFI bios and found strings for the options !
if yes , then you should notice that this module is 64bit DLL file and needs disassembly by IDA and then find menus and trace options ,,,,,,,,, i have reached few results in this and will complete after my exams Smile

Please note that if you have opened the bios and found options using the method in the document , then its normal phoenix bios not uefi tiano core bios .
I knew this document , its for Kizwan from NBR and he had teached me before how to unlock normal phoenix bios ,,,,, He is good and experienced person Smile
Till now, i haven't seen any one unlocked UEFI , so don't try searching as i had searched a lot before ,,,,,,,, you will end with finding UEFI documentation from intel no more Smile
Just a question , have you found these strings in setup module or another one !

Thank you,
Ahmed

"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Smile
find
(01-01-2012, 11:58 AM)AHMED HOSSAM Wrote: Did you find the setup module for your UEFI bios and found strings for the options !
if yes , then you should notice that this module is 64bit DLL file and needs disassembly by IDA and then find menus and trace options ,,,,,,,,, i have reached few results in this and will complete after my exams Smile

Just a question , have you found these strings in setup module or another one !

Thank you,
Ahmed

No I can't open my BIOS with PBE which proves your point that it's a UEFI not EFI Bios. Andy's tool also indicates that it's UEFI SecureTiano so we're both on the same track.

I've attached the file that I've found the strings in. Basically I've done a hex search through the entire folder for some known text in the BIOS and this is one of the most commonly occurring files Smile IDA thinks it's a Z80 file - which probably means it's non executable, but let me know what you think Smile

Cheers
jkbuha

Attached Files
.rar   CFEF94C4-4167-466A-8893-8779459DFA86_1_1048.rar (Size: 55.92 KB / Downloads: 16)
find
I will check the file later as I'm using mobile now but its size is only 55kB so i guess its not setup module ,,,,,,,,,,,, search for your menus names and other options and i guess you will not find them in this file Smile
IDA automaticallt select z80 for any file , but you should choose intel metapc and open the file in 64bit mode in ida then you found its 64bit DLL .
I will post more info here after i finish my next exam ( after 2 days ) as i will have some free time .

Thank you,
Ahmed

find
Thanks Ahmed - the uncompressed size is approx 300kb and is one of the larger files but I'll wait for your expertise to guide me accordingly Smile

I guess we could use Andy's tool to point out some of the more interesting files - there seems to be some modules classified as DxeCore or Application (there are also Driver and Freeform) inside the Structure breakdown list. What would be the main BIOS setup module called?

Most importantly - GOOD LUCK for your upcoming exams mate - don't worry about this - your studies are more important Smile

Cheers
jkbuha
find
Hi all!

I've added a new undervolted GT-540M mod for the 15z to the first post, based on the newer firmware. This works fine on my machine - including overclocking - but please test and let me know!

Next up - I'll await Ahmed to finish his exams and then we'll be working on unlocking the BIOS! Watch this space...

Cheers
jkbuha
find
hey, jkbuha
I need your help relating a 15z brick, someone send me a message asking he had a bricked 15z caused by a corrupt bios, dont worry, it isnt caused by one of your moded bios, but I still need your help cause I am unable to extract the files from the dell's exe file containing the update, cause my hardware is different than 15z and the updater dont let me even extract the files to the temp folder.

could you upload the files inside the exe? I think them got extracted at the temp folder using the tutorial I posted at the other topic.

I'm interested at the winplash default folder comming with the stock 15z bios

I'm specially looking for a .fd file

I found FvRecovery.fd file inside my l502x winflash folder.

I'm trying something like this
http://www.acer-userforum.de/bios-bios-u...-bios.html

keep in mind that his laptop is fully bricked, this means if we got this working we will not just helping him to recover his system, we will also get a working method for all of us, so we can write a documented recovery method.

thank you in advance
find
(01-02-2012, 06:39 PM)kasar Wrote: hey, jkbuha
I need your help relating a 15z brick, someone send me a message asking he had a bricked 15z caused by a corrupt bios, dont worry, it isnt caused by one of your moded bios, but I still need your help cause I am unable to extract the files from the dell's exe file containing the update, cause my hardware is different than 15z and the updater dont let me even extract the files to the temp folder.

could you upload the files inside the exe? I think them got extracted at the temp folder using the tutorial I posted at the other topic.

I'm interested at the winplash default folder comming with the stock 15z bios

I'm specially looking for a .fd file

I found FvRecovery.fd file inside my l502x winflash folder.

I'm trying something like this
http://www.acer-userforum.de/bios-bios-u...-bios.html

keep in mind that his laptop is fully bricked, this means if we got this working we will not just helping him to recover his system, we will also get a working method for all of us, so we can write a documented recovery method.

thank you in advance

Morning mate Smile

Sure - here are the files I've extracted from my 15z winflash. There's the fvrecovery.fd file for the 15z. Let me know if you have any luck in creating a rescue disk for your friend!

Best of luck!

Cheers
jkbuha

Attached Files
.rar   winflash.rar (Size: 1.39 MB / Downloads: 24)
find