Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 806
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108089
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1316
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9220
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8771
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14370
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425676
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3848
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 538
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 726
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227725
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119727
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7003
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 627
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310636
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62234

Unlocking HP Envy 17 3D OEM BIOS? It's preventing upgrades
#1
Greetings all.
I recently customized a new Envy 17 3D, however I left one important thing out. The dual SSD/HD option. On the phone ordering this machine, I wasn't given much information regarding the SSD for the machine, and couldn't see spending 500 dollars for that upgrade, so I opted for the standard 500 gig HD.

Afterwards, I tried calling and upgrading before the computer was built, but was basically told "sorry" but you can send the laptop back after you receive it in the mail if you're not pleased with it. Such a pathetic response and excuse, and one to which I just laughed. Long story short, I bought a 128 meg Crucial C300 6GB/s from Newegg, and have installed it in my Envy. Now here is where the problems start. To effectively run this SSD, the BIOS needs to be set to AHCI, along with a few other things in BIOS.

Because of the locked BIOS Win 7 isn't recognizing that the drive is SSD, and therefore isn't set properly to optimize the SSD, trim, disabling defrag, etc. Because it was not installed from the factory the option they set on this computer is set for a HD, not set for an SS drive, and therefore my new installed SSD is running sub-par. This particular Crucial drive, and fellow users of the drive, boasts speeds upwards of 350+ MBP/s 140-150+ MBP/s read/write respectively, on 6Gb/s. I'm getting... not even half that. And from what everyone tells me, it's because I'm not set to AHCI. Which of course... my BIOS is locked and I can't change the setting.

I know HP locks their BIOS settings to keep idiots from ruining their systems for whatever reasons they have. However, I paid an extra 300 dollars for an extended warranty that covers ALL damage. Even if I was to throw it out a 3 story window because I had a bout of nerd rage, the laptop replacement is covered. That being said, I want full access to my BIOS settings.

I am so far extremely disappointed in HP. From mediocre support and tech help to laptops that are very expensive yet locked and bared, which essentially is taking something we pay full price for and limiting what we get. And besides, warranties run out, and these settings they force onto us stay the same. For the money I paid for this Envy 17 3D, I could of easily had my own laptop built completely custom with full access granted to me, and with a few extra goodies that this laptop doesn't have. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Basically, I want to know if there is any way I can gain full access to my BIOS to be able to change my settings to AHCI, and eventually in the future when this laptop starts to slip and become outdated and underpowered, the option to overclock so it will stay current as long as I can make it.

I've searched Google and read countless pages with people asking the same question, with no real fix ever to be shown. It is to my understanding that updating or flashing the BIOS won't help, as it doesn't fix the problem. So is there some sort of firmware/software that we can use, or is there something on the board like a DIMM pin that needs moved? Or is there ANY suggestion at all?

I mean this is like buying a exotic sports car for hundreds of thousands of dollars, only to find out that big 12 cylinder engine has 8 of its cylinders "locked" to prevent you from voiding the car's 3 year warranty. Give me a break.

Again, with the extended warranty I paid out the rear for, even if I completely [censored] up my system and it's my fault, I'm covered.

So.... how do I gain full access to my system?

Link to HP's OEM BIOS for this system's MoBo:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50501-51000/sp50943.exe

Any help would greatly be appreciated... I'd really like to have full access to my system to not only install this SDD properly, but possibly even OCing in the future.

Thanks in advance.
find
quote
#2
/bump For help.

HP Envy 17 3D-17.3" 3D Ultra BrightView LED 1920x1080p @ 120Hz.-Intel Core i7 Q840 @ 1.9 GHz w/ Direct Media Interface-8 Gigs DDR3 RAM-Mobility Radeon HD 5850 1 Gig GDDR5 VRAM Total VRAM ~4 Gigs-Crucial C300 128 gig SSD 355 MBP/s Read 140 MBP/s Write-Beats Audio Blu-Ray & Bluetooth-Backlit Keyboard-Logitech G19 Keyboard-Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Mouse
find
quote
#3
/bump again because I have the same issue. My envy is not the 3D version, but the same bios anyway. I need to change my drive setting to AHCI to get the full benefit of my OCZ SSD.
find
quote
#4
Unfortunately this is an Insyde bios so i cant unlock anything Sad

Sorry
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)