Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 809
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108091
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1317
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9223
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8773
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14372
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 252
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425683
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3849
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 539
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 728
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227773
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119727
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7005
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 628
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310652
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62236

What's the brand and model of my laptop BIOS chip? (without having to open the case)
#1
Hi folks,

 
Greetings from Brazil!  Not sure I'm posting in the right place, but I have a question:  how do I find out the brand and model of my BIOS chip without having to open my laptop?  I can't find this information anywhere.  Been searching for days... I have a Lenovo Ideapad 300-15ISK 80RS (motherboard Paris 5A8).  Thanks a lot for your time and help! I really appreciate it!
 
Best regards,
 
JC.
find
quote
#2
Boot into Linux somehow (can use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu), install flashrom, and run sudo flashrom -p internal

If the BIOS chip can be read, it usually reports what it is. Seemingly on newer laptops though, this will either report nothing specific, many different chips, or nothing at all (I had this happen earlier on a Coffee Lake laptop).

[Image: 820LcDeSURqbEMgv.jpg]
find
quote
#3
(11-15-2019, 09:12 PM)espionage724 Wrote: Boot into Linux somehow (can use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu), install flashrom, and run sudo flashrom -p internal

If the BIOS chip can be read, it usually reports what it is. Seemingly on newer laptops though, this will either report nothing specific, many different chips, or nothing at all (I had this happen earlier on a Coffee Lake laptop).

Thanks, espionage724!  Really appreciate your time and help.  I'm going to try that right now.
find
quote
#4
(11-15-2019, 09:12 PM)espionage724 Wrote: Boot into Linux somehow (can use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu), install flashrom, and run sudo flashrom -p internal

If the BIOS chip can be read, it usually reports what it is. Seemingly on newer laptops though, this will either report nothing specific, many different chips, or nothing at all (I had this happen earlier on a Coffee Lake laptop).

Hi again, spionage724.  I followed your Linux suggestion and flashrom did not tell me a lot...  It says I have an "Opaque Flash Chip".  Didn't find info on that.
find
quote
#5
(11-16-2019, 12:35 AM)jcrcarmo Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 09:12 PM)espionage724 Wrote: Boot into Linux somehow (can use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu), install flashrom, and run sudo flashrom -p internal

If the BIOS chip can be read, it usually reports what it is. Seemingly on newer laptops though, this will either report nothing specific, many different chips, or nothing at all (I had this happen earlier on a Coffee Lake laptop).

Hi again, spionage724.  I followed your Linux suggestion and flashrom did not tell me a lot...  It says I have an "Opaque Flash Chip".  Didn't find info on that.

Ah, that's the word I was looking for. I had a laptop a while back that also did that Opaque Flash Chip thing (basically nothing specific).

On Windows, Flash Programming Tool (FPT) if you attempt to flash anything (FPTW64.exe -W test.bin) may also show a flash device (on the same Coffee Lake laptop that didn't show anything on flashrom on Linux, FPTW64 on Windows 10 worked fine). You can get it in a CSME System Tools package at: https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-M...Tools.html

In my case, the flash chip is a W25Q128FV:

[Image: FWh3stj.png]

[Image: 820LcDeSURqbEMgv.jpg]
find
quote
#6
(11-16-2019, 12:58 AM)espionage724 Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 12:35 AM)jcrcarmo Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 09:12 PM)espionage724 Wrote: Boot into Linux somehow (can use a LiveUSB of Ubuntu), install flashrom, and run sudo flashrom -p internal

If the BIOS chip can be read, it usually reports what it is. Seemingly on newer laptops though, this will either report nothing specific, many different chips, or nothing at all (I had this happen earlier on a Coffee Lake laptop).

Hi again, spionage724.  I followed your Linux suggestion and flashrom did not tell me a lot...  It says I have an "Opaque Flash Chip".  Didn't find info on that.

Ah, that's the word I was looking for. I had a laptop a while back that also did that Opaque Flash Chip thing (basically nothing specific).

On Windows, Flash Programming Tool (FPT) if you attempt to flash anything (FPTW64.exe -W test.bin) may also show a flash device (on the same Coffee Lake laptop that didn't show anything on flashrom on Linux, FPTW64 on Windows 10 worked fine). You can get it in a CSME System Tools package at: https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-M...Tools.html

In my case, the flash chip is a W25Q128FV:

[Image: FWh3stj.png]


Hi espionage724!  First of all, thank you so much for all your time and help.  I was able to identify my flash device with Intel FPTW64.  I used the command line  'FPTW64.EXE -D test.bin' and it says my chip is W25Q64BV !!! Big Grin


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)