Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424127
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3553
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 211
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 162
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 250
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223725
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119094
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 235
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6735
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 351
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309492
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61903
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 563
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20216
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169138
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6259
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 766
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5734
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61105
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274943

MCP61PM-HM (Iris)
#11
Well with our modified unlocked BIOS for the Nettle2, Acer series, etc. (anything with the MCP61 stuff) we had Phenoms up and running, and according to the documentation for a Nettle2, 89W TDP is supported. Now, I'm not sure if this lightweight compaq version supports a 89W tdp, but there is a good way to find out, which you already did Smile

Because your PC boots with a simple Unrecognized CPU, using the unlocked Nettle2 BIOS on the thread should allow you to get on just fine. Buying the Nettle3 isn't only a bad idea because it isn't much different from a nettle2, but there are way better replacement retail boards. I am really confident though the unlocked BIOS found on the Nettle2 thread will get you going. Follow the instructions the same way as described there.

Report with the results,
TheWiz
www find
quote
#12
(07-30-2010, 08:26 PM)TheWiz Wrote: Buying the Nettle3 isn't only a bad idea because it isn't much different from a nettle2, but there are way better replacement retail boards. I am really confident though the unlocked BIOS found on the Nettle2 thread will get you going. Follow the instructions the same way as described there.

Report with the results,
TheWiz

I am in no way trying to be argumentative here but let me explain my reasoning. I recently became unemployed and money isn't exactly plentiful at this time and that kinda makes buying a new motherboard out of the question. If I were to purchase a Nettle2 I would also have to purchase the IO Shield to match it. A Nettle2 goes for ~70 on Ebay and another ~20ish for an IO Shield. I have a local source that will sell me a Nettle3 with Shield, Athlon62 X2 7750 Processor and Heatsink/Fan for around ~50. I can resell the processor for ~30ish and the heatsink/fan for for ~10... See where I'm going with this? Since I'm running Windows7 64bit I would really like to have the ability to expand to 8 gig when I get back working or I would simply stick with the Iris I have. Besides, I'm a cheap SOB at heart and I just love to wheel and deal! So, given the situation that I have described, is the Nettle3 still a bad choice?
On a side note (or actually the reason for this entire post) I am going to try the BIOS flash tomorrow and see what happens. This will be my first attempt at a BIOS flash this complicated (I have done my Dells before but that was easy) so wish me luck! If everything works like it should I will report back and let you know! and if it doesn't.... you KNOW I'm gonna be crying for help!!


Thanks a bunch!
Jim

Dell Latitude D820 w/D-Dock, T7600G, 3 Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD Xp Pro
Compaq Presario SR5110NX w/ a Nettle3 Mobo Phenom X4 9500 8GB RAM 512Mb GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 64 bit (zoom zoom)
(1) Dell PowerEdge 2600
(3) Dell PowerEdge 2850's fully loaded w/ Dual core 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded Xeons
Dell PowerVault 220S w/14 73GB drives in a RAID5 array totalling 800GB
find
quote
#13
Sounds like a plan. Yoyu actually increase the value of your current mobo if you successfully flash the retial BIOS on the nettle2 thread, becaue it has way more functionaliy. I see where you are coming from with thtat combo deal and not paying shipping and handling, plus its a good rig for a really good price so if this doesn't work out in your circumstances I would take the deal.

TheWiz
www find
quote
#14
I read that some of the Nettle supports SATA RAID 0 and 1 but not the HP/Compaq versions.

Is this supported in the modded retail BIOS?

And, since the only support for this mobo is for Vista, will I be able to use the RAID with Windows7 64bit?

Thanks,
Jim

Dell Latitude D820 w/D-Dock, T7600G, 3 Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD Xp Pro
Compaq Presario SR5110NX w/ a Nettle3 Mobo Phenom X4 9500 8GB RAM 512Mb GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 64 bit (zoom zoom)
(1) Dell PowerEdge 2600
(3) Dell PowerEdge 2850's fully loaded w/ Dual core 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded Xeons
Dell PowerVault 220S w/14 73GB drives in a RAID5 array totalling 800GB
find
quote
#15
OKAY!

As promised I tried the Nettle2 BIOS upgrade on my wimpy Iris Mobo today.

(drumroll please)

It WORKED!! YAY!

And, I then installed AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Dual core into the Mobo and it also worked like a charm.
After it downloaded and installed 34 windoze updates it came up and told me that it found new hardware and had to install the drivers for it.

Then it said I had to reboot (naturally) After I rebooted I looked at the properties screen to confirm that it was truly seeing the X2 5600 and it was. The interesting thing was it said my performance index needed to updated but the first time I tried it, it bombed out halfway through. I tried it again and this time it worked like charm but still told me I had an old slow computer and my 512Mb video card sucks rocks!

So, now I can go buy the Nettle3 that I was looking at, do the BIOS upgrade in it and start looking for a Quad Core to shovel into it as well as 4 more gigs and a real video card.

THANKYOU!
THANK YOU
THANK YOU!

Jim

Maybe now I can run AutoCad without having to take naps while waiting for it to render a drawing!

Dell Latitude D820 w/D-Dock, T7600G, 3 Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD Xp Pro
Compaq Presario SR5110NX w/ a Nettle3 Mobo Phenom X4 9500 8GB RAM 512Mb GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 64 bit (zoom zoom)
(1) Dell PowerEdge 2600
(3) Dell PowerEdge 2850's fully loaded w/ Dual core 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded Xeons
Dell PowerVault 220S w/14 73GB drives in a RAID5 array totalling 800GB
find
quote
#16
Nice work! Glad the upgrade worked and we turned that board into something halfway decent. Once you reply I'll put a redirect here and move this to the confirmed section.

BE CAREFUL: The nettle3 board does NOT support the unlocked BIOS we jsut used for this, because it has a larger chip and uses a slightly different bootblock. I am still working on a BIOS for the nettle3, so standby on that.

Good work!

TheWiz
www find
quote
#17
I'm certain that is is a good solid BIOS upgrade so you can move it over now.
I would NEVER consider trying this BIOS on a Nettle3. I have spent literally hours pouring over spec sheets and photos of the three different Nettle mobos and the two different Iris Mobos and I realize that the Nettle3 is an entirely different animal!

Just for future reference, what is the highest wattage CPU that I can run in my Nettle2 BIOS'd Iris?

Thanks again,
Jim

Dell Latitude D820 w/D-Dock, T7600G, 3 Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD Xp Pro
Compaq Presario SR5110NX w/ a Nettle3 Mobo Phenom X4 9500 8GB RAM 512Mb GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 64 bit (zoom zoom)
(1) Dell PowerEdge 2600
(3) Dell PowerEdge 2850's fully loaded w/ Dual core 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded Xeons
Dell PowerVault 220S w/14 73GB drives in a RAID5 array totalling 800GB
find
quote
#18
Anything over 89W's is dangerous Smile

TheWiz
www find
quote
#19
(08-01-2010, 05:41 PM)TheWiz Wrote: Anything over 89W's is dangerous Smile

I have read everything that I could find on this forum about the Nettle2, Nettle and Iris8. (wow! that was a lot of reading!) and I have one question for you.

If I read everything correctly my cheesy old Iris mobo will now support any AMD Processor that pulls 65W up to a Phenom II X4 910e 2600? Or did I miss something?

Thanks,
Jim

Dell Latitude D820 w/D-Dock, T7600G, 3 Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD Xp Pro
Compaq Presario SR5110NX w/ a Nettle3 Mobo Phenom X4 9500 8GB RAM 512Mb GeForce 8400GS Windows 7 64 bit (zoom zoom)
(1) Dell PowerEdge 2600
(3) Dell PowerEdge 2850's fully loaded w/ Dual core 2.8GHz Hyperthreaded Xeons
Dell PowerVault 220S w/14 73GB drives in a RAID5 array totalling 800GB
find
quote
#20
Yeah we tested a couple of 95W Phenoms that worked, so we recommend the 65W because the socket really isn't designed for 85W but manages with some issues. We haven't tested that specific CPU but that's the golden CPU I've been saying would probably be best suited for these boards, and those 910es are nice, cool, and fast too Smile

TheWiz
www find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)