Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 793
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 107987
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1312
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3540
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9213
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8761
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14355
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 250
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425630
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3842
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 532
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 331
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 723
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227540
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119713
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 387
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6997
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 619
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310584
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62223

Dell Latitude E5420 BIOS Recovery
#1
Hello,

I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the incorrect forum section.

Relevant SPECS:
[spoiler]
Model: Dell Latitude E5420
CPU: 2520M
Chipset: HM65, ME7.x 1.5 MB
BIOS Type: EFI / Phoenix (as reported by Phoenix Tool)
BIOS Ver: A14
[/spoiler]

Intro: After selling my old laptop, instead of purchasing a new laptop, I simply bought an E5420 motherboard, its DC cable, charger, and its ethernet daughter board. I use this as a mini-desktop replacement. I was using an eGPU via PE4C w/ GTX 970.

Cause of Problem: I dumped my ME FW and modified it using FITC to enable PCIe x2 and proceeded with flashing it in DOS. I later learned that the FITC for ME7 was bugged because it produces corrupted FW images which caused a semi-brick.

Symptoms: Startup is exceedingly slow. While I am still able to access its BIOS settings, the system halts during the last step of POST which is when the BIOS sends the End Of Post message to the ME FW. The error message displayed is: "Error sending End of Post Message to ME" and the system halts. Unresponsive to CTRL-ALT-DEL which is the hotkey for rebooting during POST.

Attempted Troubleshooting: Initially, I tried using my programmer to flash my backup ME firmware but my programmer does not support the flash chip MX25L1606E however it DOES support MX25L1606. Afterwards, I purchased its keyboard and tried to perform BIOS recovery using various filenames and key combinations but I do not know the correct filename or key combo. Googling this is extremely difficult because there is little to no information for the E5420. Using Andy's Phoenix Tool (which is supposed to return the correct BIOS recovery filename) gives me gibberish (I tried it anyway).
I have also tried removing the CMOS even though I suspected it not to work since the issue lies with the ME FW. Have also tried switching/removing the RAM sticks around as well as removing the CPU then powering on, turned it off and put CPU back in to maybe refresh/reset some NVRAM variables but to no surprise, it did not help.

Request: What can I do? Does anyone know the correct parameters to initiate BIOS recovery on the Dell Latitude E5420? Which programmer should I purchase?

I have attached a zip containing the stock BIOS from Dell's site as well as the decompressed image produced by Phoenix Tool (I think it's HDR, but has no extension by default).
find
quote
#2
Restart the computer.

Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.

On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key if you wish to save the current BIOS settings.

Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process

For another solution check Dell Latitude E5420 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-latitude-e5420-manual&po=344620&lang=English
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)