Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Today 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6401
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14037
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 136
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424545
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3651
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 323
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 236
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 342
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224751
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119202
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 299
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6814
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 437
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309804
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62000
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 655
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20313
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169424
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6385
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 860

MSI 880gm-E41 BUOS backup and upgrade procedures
#1
Hello and my first post in here and BIOS mods.

  This older board MSI 880gm-E41 is too cryptic for me to understand.  Initially I had the error of not using
a thumb drive in FAT32.  I now have that.

  Major Geeks has a Universlal Bios Backup freeware.  I ran that and it seemed to go ok

  There are 8 BIOS upgrades for this MSI board.  I selected to download the one immediately
follwoing what is on the board and I've not done the procedure before.

  Errors appear at the old style MSI 880 BIOS screen.  And there are instructions as to when to
insert or remove the FAT32 pen drive.  Also something about renaming conventions and
an obscure file type.    I have seen the text file that downloads with the selected BIOS download.
There's just not enough to follow on the M-Flash single screen to proceed.

   After all the time passed since this board was new,  perhaps someone with the same
motherboard then or now can give a complete procedure.

   My feeling has been that thare's a manual page missing from the whole operation.
There is nothing in the user guide I have about any of it. 

    The 880gm  board works fine.  I'm hoping for efficiencies for using an SSD and perhaps
more memory.
find
quote
#2
MSI has a tool to upgrade the BIOS.  My motherboard is an MSI 880gm-e41.
At minimum I want to flash the upgrade that allows for 6 core CPU.

I have practiced with the tool and it runs successfully.  But each time I return to check the version
there is no change either by number or date of issue.  I have also checked this with the
CMD in Win7

I would pursue this at MSI but login is a daisy chain of repeatable steps
where I am always greeted as guest.   I don't want to return there for this.

  The USB device is a 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer that looks like a peanut.
I have been through all the steps of the upgrade tool as described. 
The Sandisk shows formated to Fat32.  It's bare and unbootable.

  Is this a wrong size to do this job (larger than 4 GB?
Can a format of the USB be done to correct this with a partition.

  Can I execute this in DOS with some careful guidance?

  I'm out of ideas on what looks like an easy task that completes but shows no upgrade.
find
quote
#3
(01-28-2019, 07:02 PM)loninappleton Wrote: Hello and my first post in here and BIOS mods.

  This older board MSI 880gm-E41 is too cryptic for me to understand.  Initially I had the error of not using
a thumb drive in FAT32.  I now have that.

  Major Geeks has a Universlal Bios Backup freeware.  I ran that and it seemed to go ok

  There are 8 BIOS upgrades for this MSI board.  I selected to download the one immediately
follwoing what is on the board and I've not done the procedure before.

  Errors appear at the old style MSI 880 BIOS screen.  And there are instructions as to when to
insert or remove the FAT32 pen drive.  Also something about renaming conventions and
an obscure file type.    I have seen the text file that downloads with the selected BIOS download.
There's just not enough to follow on the M-Flash single screen to proceed.

   After all the time passed since this board was new,  perhaps someone with the same
motherboard then or now can give a complete procedure.

   My feeling has been that thare's a manual page missing from the whole operation.
There is nothing in the user guide I have about any of it. 

    The 880gm  board works fine.  I'm hoping for efficiencies for using an SSD and perhaps
more memory.
find
quote
#4
I am finally on the path to getting this job done. MSI BIOS tool works fine but I was neglecting the final step
to complete the procedure which is reboot from the USB drive which, having been set up to boot by
the MSI program loads to complete the procedure.

Pardon the duplicate post but what I haven't seen here is the usual My Posts lookup to make
responses.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)