Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Today 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14006
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 107
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424480
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3623
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 287
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 209
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 309
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224570
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119176
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 274
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6791
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 411
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309737
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61967
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 626
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20281
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169342
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6354
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 829
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5800

[Q] VG10S - High CPU usage with drive caddy
#1
Hi!

I got a Toshiba laptop, P50-A-11J, pspmge, with VG10S motherboard.
http://www.toshiba.no/discontinued-produ...p50-a-11j/

Short story:
When attaching a drive caddy with an SSD or HDD, cpu usage even at idle gets very high. Temperature goes up, so fans run at full speed.
Are there any BIOS mods that can solve this? LatinMcG @ MyDigitalLife.info says "its likely to do with the DSDT acpi and the eject code for power management of dvd"


Long story:
I recently bought a WD Blue 1TB SSD together with a drive caddy from ebay. I've also done this with a 850 evo 250gb and a HDD. The hard drive gets recognized by W10, S.M.A.R.T return no errors. TRIM is enabled. It is formatted with NTFS, and have some movies on it. Plex streams just fine from it.

The problem is that, when I have the caddy connected, the CPU will constantly go high. The process named "System", detailed name "NT Kernel & System" uses about 20-30% of my CPU. I got a i7-4770MQ, so 20-30% is some processing power.
And that's with no programs open, just W10 idle. This also causes the fan to constantly spin at high speed. And the computer turns warm. But when I remove the caddy (after shut down off course), CPU usage is back to normal again. 

I can't figure out what makes it do that. And I can't find anyone facing the same problem/ bug. Any suggestions?

Other details:
- In BIOS, in BOOT menu, the caddy with the SSD is recognized as ODD, optic disk drive. I think that's a bit odd, or maybe not?
- I've tried with two different caddys, problem persists
- I've tried with different disks and SSDs, problem persists
- The caddy runs fine in my HP6530b with Linux. No problemo.

Bios flash files: https://mega.nz/#!PpAxWaxb!UIDzdzOoV2mAc...6kPMTtJrLE
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)