Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 9
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424209
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3564
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 227
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 257
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223918
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119109
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6745
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 359
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309549
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61908
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 572
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20228
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169171
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6273
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 775
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5743
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61124

Toshiba L670 CPU upgrade options
#1
Hi, 

I would be very appreciative if someone could help with CPU upgrade options for a Toshiba L670 (PSK3EA-08X017)? Bios is here:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200014255&osId=3333728

I've attached screenshots from CPU-Z

I currently have a I5-480m and I'm pretty sure a i7-640m would be OK. However, I also wanted to know if any of the following would work?

I7-720QM
I7-740QM
I7-820QM
I7-840QM
I7-920XM
I7-940XM

I know the TDP is higher so cooling could be an issue even if these do work. 

Thanks very much
find
quote
#2
(10-11-2019, 07:46 PM)BennyGL Wrote: I've attached screenshots from CPU-Z
You haven't. And I need a screenshot of list of graphics cards in Device Manager.

I think that quad cores CPU will overheat this laptop.
To check it you need to stress current GPU and CPU simultaneously: run Furmark & LinX (with idle process priority).
Make screenshot of HWMonitor when GPU & CPU temperatures will stop rising.
find
quote
#3
Brick 
Hi, 

Thanks for the reply, I had a quick run of Furmark and LinX simultaneously and was getting CPU temps up in the late 80's and early 90's. I will run for a longer time soon and post images shortly. So as you predicted the laptop could overheat with the quad cores. 
 
I've tried again to add the attachments of the screenshots as I think I messed it up last time. 

   
           
find
quote
#4
Hi,

Just run the tests, screenshot attached. 

   

Thanks again.
find
quote
#5
I need a screenshot with full load of CPU&GPU. Not after tests.
find
quote
#6
(10-16-2019, 01:53 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: I need a screenshot with full load of CPU&GPU. Not after tests.

Is this now OK?

   
find
quote
#7
Your current CPU was overheating in those test, so it reduced its frequency from 2933 to 2660 Mhz.
So you can't boost performance of this laptop by using quad cores CPU.
find
quote
#8
(10-16-2019, 06:50 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Your current CPU was overheating in those test, so it reduced its frequency from 2933 to 2660 Mhz.
So you can't boost performance of this laptop by using quad cores CPU.

OK thanks for the info. Do you think I could get away with moving up to the I5-640m?

The laptop is mainly used for light Photoshop use, editing photos etc for online shop. Also general browsing, nothing too intensive. 

Could cooling be improved, drill bigger holes in the base etc?
find
quote
#9
i7-640M can increase performance by 10-15% only.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)