Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 809
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108091
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1317
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9224
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8774
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14373
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 252
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425693
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3850
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 541
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 728
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227776
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119728
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7006
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 629
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310654
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62236

Asus Z9NA-D6C LGA 1356 Xeon - Engineering Sample unlock
#1
/Hello guys,

I am currently running the Asus Z9NA-D6C using the Asus bios version 5204 which can be found here: http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Servers_W..._Download/

I am using it with two engineering samples of the intel xeon E5-2450 (2.1Ghz 8 core) apperently C1 stepping. I believe the top of the CPU says Intel Confidential QBGG ES 2.1Ghz

Issue: I am having issues with video card support and I believe it to be linked to how old the BIOS is, but I am worried about upgrading and causing the machine to not boot. Could someone take a look at the newest bios released by Asus to determine if this CPU will still work?

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: I am able to run a few hardware query commands on my machine running ESXI and have uploaded the file here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fgcbm73ixe5xxl/temp.txt?dl=0

This should give you additional detali about the CPU ID
find
quote
#2
http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/QB/QBGG.html this CPU is what I am using
find
quote
#3
Could anyone please take a look? If you could just take a look at the newest bios on the above link and compare it to my version, does the CPU support for ES seem the same? The issue is i just recently modded an nvidia 680 OC into a fully working nvidia grid k2, it boots and works on all my machines as expected but it seems my motherboard bios is very old.. yet I dont want to lose(possibly?) support for my cpu Smile
find
quote
#4
(12-10-2014, 06:25 PM)imanz Wrote: Could anyone please take a look? If you could just take a look at the newest bios on the above link and compare it to my version, does the CPU support for ES seem the same? The issue is i just recently modded an nvidia 680 OC into a fully working nvidia grid k2, it boots and works on all my machines as expected but it seems my motherboard bios is very old.. yet I dont want to lose(possibly?) support for my cpu Smile

i dont think you will lose yoor cpu support! if you just looked to cpu support :Intel Xeon E5-2450 (2.1G,L3:20M,8C,95W)
your current bios is only 1 year 2 moths old! is not tooo old!
and what has a gtx680 to do with your current bios?! after you modded the gpu doent boot on this motherboard?!
find
quote
#5
(12-15-2014, 04:07 PM)ultravy Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 06:25 PM)imanz Wrote: Could anyone please take a look? If you could just take a look at the newest bios on the above link and compare it to my version, does the CPU support for ES seem the same? The issue is i just recently modded an nvidia 680 OC into a fully working nvidia grid k2, it boots and works on all my machines as expected but it seems my motherboard bios is very old.. yet I dont want to lose(possibly?) support for my cpu Smile

i dont think you will lose yoor cpu support! if you just looked to cpu support :Intel Xeon E5-2450 (2.1G,L3:20M,8C,95W)
your current bios is only 1 year 2 moths old! is not tooo old!
and what has a gtx680 to do with your current bios?! after you modded the gpu doent boot on this motherboard?!

The reason I am worried is because i am using the Intel Xeon E5 you mentioned however it is the Engineering Sample. The specific model/stepping (C1) is the one listed above. I have heard that later revisions of a BIOS will sometimes remove support for older stepping engineering samples as part of optimizations and because they are typically not officially supported anyways. Although you are correct the BIOS is not very old it seems the next BIOS (5305) has specific improvements around video card support, as shown on the linked page above. Here is what it lists:
Improve compatibility for add-on VGAs while 2 CPUs installed.
Improve compatibility for add-on VGAs with Ivy-Bridge CPUs.

The following BIOS release (5401) lists "Improve the system stability" which could also help, but MAY be doing this by removing CPU support for engineering samples as I have seen this on other boards in the past. I truly do not believe the modding of the video card caused the problem because I am able to install the card into my Mac Pro with OS X 10.10 and boot it up without a single problem with the system recognizing it as Nvidia Grid K2, I have also tested this in another older machine with a single i5 CPU. The true end goal is for this GPU to go inside this dual xeon so the video card can work on an ESXI hypervisor. I would really appreciate if someone with more experience working on BIOS mods could unpack my current BIOS (5204) and compare it against the 5305 & 5503 to see if CPU microcode is the same and if all of them support the engineering sample chip I am running. As I mentioned, I don't think this should take much time for someone who knows what they are doing as I can verify the 5204 is currently working perfectly for 2 months with my engineering sample chips.

Thanks for your response!
find
quote
#6
Well my MMTool v4.50.0.23 is crashing when i try enter in cpu tab to compare bioses!...
find
quote
#7
Does anyone happen to have the correct utility to check these configurations?
find
quote
#8
Bumper! Does anyone have the ability to simply unpack and compare the CPU support of these two BIOS? If you can simply verify the BIOS i am using (listed above) and the newest bios listed on the site has the same CPU support I would greatly appreciate it!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)