Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 39
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424260
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3568
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 233
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 168
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 261
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224030
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119118
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 242
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6750
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 364
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309590
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61917
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 579
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20233
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169183
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6284
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 780
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5746
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61135

[CPU Upgrade] HP ProDesk 400 G1 MT problem
#1
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have an HP ProDesk 400 G1 MT with an Intel i3-4130. In order to get a performance improvement, I decided to change the original CPU with an i7-4790. After the CPU change, the computer runs fine... until I reboot it.

During the reboot process, the computer seems to be blocked and the only way to shutdown is to press the power button. Searching the web, I found other people have the this strange behaviour:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Ha...-p/6055225

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Bo...-p/6620378

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-A...-p/5316292

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/534...otrestart/

Obviously I have installed the latest BIOS version (02.56 Rev.A). You can find it HERE.

The same CPU in another machine works well. I've tried also an i5-4590 but the problem is the same.

This problem is OS indipendent because if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del in the BIOS in order to restart the computer, the problem persist.

It's very hard to believe because this computer is sell with this two processor (i7-4790 and i5-4590). So why there is this problem ? Is it a BIOS lock feature ? Is it possible to have a new BIOS with support both of the CPUs ?
find
quote
#2
Can you enter in BIOS in your i7-4790?
Post screenshots of first (CPU) & third (Mainboard) tabs of CPU-Z with supported CPU.
Make a photo of this motherboard near a socket.
find
quote
#3
Hi @DeathBringer,

first of all thanks for the answer. Yes, I can enter the BIOS with the i7-4790. Attached a photo take when I had installed the CPU for first time. Also, the power supply is the original HP equipment (300W) and I think is enough considering that this computer have only the integrated graphics.

BIOS
CPU
Mainboard
Motherboard-1
Motherboard-2
PSU
find
quote
#4
Can you disable Turbo Boost in BIOS?
Remove heatsink and make photos again.
Have you any discrete graphics card for test?
find
quote
#5
Hi,

no, I can't disable the turbo boost from the BIOS (the options available are in the photo below). I've also tried to disable some of them with no luck. The i7-4790 is working great in another computer with the integrated GPU. Anyway yes, the graphics card slot is working (tried some weeks ago just for test with a discrete graphics card).

BIOS

CPU-3

CPU-2
find
quote
#6
You need to test your system with i7-4790 and any discrete graphics card.
find
quote
#7
I've installed the i7-4790 again paired with an AMD 5450 HD. This discrete graphics card have a low TDP, so I don't need to change the PSU. Unfortunately, the problem persist. The computer boots up, recognize the processor, enter in the BIOS and when I try to reboot with the combination Ctrl+Alt+Del the screen became black and nothing happen. I think it should be some BIOS lock feature.
find
quote
#8
OK. Enter in BIOS with new CPU, then go to Save & Exit and do Restore Defaults, then Save Changes and Exit.
find
quote
#9
After that procedure, the issue is still present. Also, in order to reset the CMOS values, I've tried to remove and reinsert after a minute the CMOS battery and then press the yellow button on the motherboard. Nothing. It's incredible that only the reboot fail and for the rest it work perfectly.
find
quote
#10
So I have no more ideas.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)