Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Add CPU support for Coffee Lake Touch Dy...
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 02:17 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 809
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 5742(G,Z) BIOS Unl...
Last Post: Ghost-White-Guy
Yesterday 10:26 AM
» Replies: 170
» Views: 108091
[REQUEST] Laptop doesn't see EGPU becaus...
Last Post: Артур
Yesterday 07:00 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 1317
[request] Asus ROG strix G15 2022 (g513r...
Last Post: daxui
10-08-2026 12:04 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 3544
[REQUEST] HP EliteBook 8470p Whitelist R...
Last Post: snowc
10-06-2026 12:44 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 9223
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
10-05-2026 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 8773
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
10-05-2026 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14372
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 251
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 425682
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3849
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 539
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 334
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 727
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1227770
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119727
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 391
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 7005
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 628
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 310648
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62236

[Dell Latitude D630, Precision M4300 laptop SATA-2 unlock]
#11
Hello,

I found this topic because I read somewhere, Dell D630 Sata speed is limited to 1.5 Gb/s. I thought, that it is possible to upload modified bios (like I did in Lenovo ThinkPad T61), but I didn't find any bios with Sata 3.0Gb/s activation...

I read descriptions above, and tried to do the same on my PC. Under windows vista I had problems with phisical memory access (I have never done this before under Win), so I tried under ubuntu. Memory access is also restricted but you can access it simpler than under Windows.

According step 4 from riprop post. I also got simmilar error when hexdump reached 0x100000. I didn't check why (probably it is much more restriced or not configured) - it doesn't metter. The point is, if you want to reach 0xf6ffb800 address with hexdump, you would have to wait a little - this address is from the end of addressing range (almost 4 GB of data have to be dumped before).

To get value from address 0xf6ffb800 I used very simple C application:
Code:
#include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdint.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/mman.h> void main(void) { int mem_dev = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR | O_SYNC); const uint32_t mem_address = 0xf6dfb800; uint32_t alloc_mem_size, page_mask, page_size; void *mem_pointer, *virt_addr; page_size = sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE); alloc_mem_size = (((0x100 / page_size) + 1) * page_size); page_mask = (page_size - 1); mem_pointer = mmap(NULL,alloc_mem_size,PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,MAP_SHARED,mem_dev,(mem_address & ~page_mask)); virt_addr = (mem_pointer + (mem_address & page_mask)); printf("value 0x%08x\n", *((int *)virt_addr)); munmap(mem_pointer, alloc_mem_size); close(mem_dev); }

To run this application, don't forget to use sudo.
Result in my case was 0xe720ffc2. It is little different than expected 0xde127f03.. Maybe, because ABAR address is placed in 31..12 bits of 24h value? (Address would be 0x1edbf7 in this case. But 0x1edbf7 is not accessible like address 0x100000). Anyway, I checked 0xe720ffc2 value, I received from 0xf6dfb800. Bits 23..20 are equal ... 0010 b (SATA II already configured)! I am still not sure if address 0xf6dfb800 is correct to read SATA parameters from, but I checked what dmesg says about my SATA interfaces...

Code:
[ 1.187216] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: irq 43 for MSI/MSI-X [ 1.187293] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 3 ports 3 Gbps 0x5 impl SATA mode [ 1.187298] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm led clo pio slum part ccc ems : : [ 1.196083] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6dfb800 port 0xf6dfb900 irq 43 : [ 1.196090] ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6dfb800 port 0xf6dfba00 irq 43 : : [ 1.516246] ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300) [ 1.516285] ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

That means only one thing - SATA 3.0 Gb/s is already activated in my Dell D630 laptop Smile
I checked this with gnome-disks benchmark, where average read speed from SSD drive is around 270 MB/s... It is around 2.26 Gb/s (much more than theoretical maximum 1.5 Gb/s for SATA I). Similar speed was reached on Lenovo T61 mentioned at the beginning...

So as a summary - don't worry, Dell D630 (with newest Bios A19) has already SATA 3.0 Gb/s unlocked! Smile

Kind Regards!
Greg Wo
find
quote
#12
(04-24-2014, 01:01 AM)GrzegorzWo Wrote: Hello,

I found this topic because I read somewhere, Dell D630 Sata speed is limited to 1.5 Gb/s. I thought, that it is possible to upload modified bios (like I did in Lenovo ThinkPad T61), but I didn't find any bios with Sata 3.0Gb/s activation...

I read descriptions above, and tried to do the same on my PC. Under windows vista I had problems with phisical memory access (I have never done this before under Win), so I tried under ubuntu. Memory access is also restricted but you can access it simpler than under Windows.

According step 4 from riprop post. I also got simmilar error when hexdump reached 0x100000. I didn't check why (probably it is much more restriced or not configured) - it doesn't metter. The point is, if you want to reach 0xf6ffb800 address with hexdump, you would have to wait a little - this address is from the end of addressing range (almost 4 GB of data have to be dumped before).

To get value from address 0xf6ffb800 I used very simple C application:

Code:
#include <stdio.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdint.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/mman.h> void main(void) { int mem_dev = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR | O_SYNC); const uint32_t mem_address = 0xf6dfb800; uint32_t alloc_mem_size, page_mask, page_size; void *mem_pointer, *virt_addr; page_size = sysconf(_SC_PAGESIZE); alloc_mem_size = (((0x100 / page_size) + 1) * page_size); page_mask = (page_size - 1); mem_pointer = mmap(NULL,alloc_mem_size,PROT_READ | PROT_WRITE,MAP_SHARED,mem_dev,(mem_address & ~page_mask)); virt_addr = (mem_pointer + (mem_address & page_mask)); printf("value 0x%08x\n", *((int *)virt_addr)); munmap(mem_pointer, alloc_mem_size); close(mem_dev); }

To run this application, don't forget to use sudo.
Result in my case was 0xe720ffc2. It is little different than expected 0xde127f03.. Maybe, because ABAR address is placed in 31..12 bits of 24h value? (Address would be 0x1edbf7 in this case. But 0x1edbf7 is not accessible like address 0x100000). Anyway, I checked 0xe720ffc2 value, I received from 0xf6dfb800. Bits 23..20 are equal ... 0010 b (SATA II already configured)! I am still not sure if address 0xf6dfb800 is correct to read SATA parameters from, but I checked what dmesg says about my SATA interfaces...


Code:
[ 1.187216] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: irq 43 for MSI/MSI-X [ 1.187293] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0100 32 slots 3 ports 3 Gbps 0x5 impl SATA mode [ 1.187298] ahci 0000:00:1f.2: flags: 64bit ncq sntf pm led clo pio slum part ccc ems : : [ 1.196083] ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6dfb800 port 0xf6dfb900 irq 43 : [ 1.196090] ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf6dfb800 port 0xf6dfba00 irq 43 : : [ 1.516246] ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300) [ 1.516285] ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)

That means only one thing - SATA 3.0 Gb/s is already activated in my Dell D630 laptop Smile
I checked this with gnome-disks benchmark, where average read speed from SSD drive is around 270 MB/s... It is around 2.26 Gb/s (much more than theoretical maximum 1.5 Gb/s for SATA I). Similar speed was reached on Lenovo T61 mentioned at the beginning...

So as a summary - don't worry, Dell D630 (with newest Bios A19) has already SATA 3.0 Gb/s unlocked! Smile

Kind Regards!
Greg Wo

Sorry for offtop, but i have Dell D630 with A19 Bios and i have limited SATA to 150 MB/s with my Kingston SSD. Can you do bios-mod for me with unlock SATA2 ?
I have installed XP.

Thanks,
Mike
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)