Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Yesterday 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 76
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Yesterday 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424333
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Yesterday 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3598
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 261
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 192
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 291
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1224246
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119154
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 266
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6773
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 386
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309648
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61950
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 605
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20260
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169228
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6315
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 808
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5776
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61171

Lenovo T460 - I need a repair of the BIOS file - SOLVED
#1
Information 
Hello,

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T460 with a "broken" BIOS file.

During a BIOS update something has gone wrong.
Now it is not possible to install a BIOS update.
After installing the T460 has to restart to finish the update, but it doesn't restart, no matter how long i wait.
I can plug off an on the electricity and the T460 will boot, but will not finish the update.
Only the old BIOS starts.

Now the T460 needs about 45 seconds to start booting. After booting everything works fine.

I bought a SPI flasher and made a dump of the BIOS file. 
I tried to flash a donor BIOS file form another T460, but it didn't work, the T460 did not boot or start with the donor
BIOS.


I flashed back the original BIOS file and it works with the known failure, it needs 45 seconds to start booting.


I think the original BIOS file is defective, or some parts of it, because a BIOS update has gone wrong.
A donor BIOS file does not work, I think because of some individual Keys or the TMP chip - I dont'know.

Is it possible to repair the defective BIOS file?
I can send you the original dump of the defective BIOS file and a dump of another T460 that works fine.

Of course i will return the favour if anybody can help.
find
quote
#2
Update:

I was able to flash a donor BIOS from another T460, Version 1.42.
After that I was able to install other BIOS versions with the Lenovo Update Tool using Windows 10, restarts to complete the updates 
are working fine. I have installed 1.41 and after that again 1.42, everythink works fine.


The only problem is, that the T460 still needs about 30 seconds to start booting.


Is there any way to fix it?


Can anybody help?   

I will return the favour!
find
quote
#3
I think the Problem is Intel ME. It is disapeard in the BIOS, the field with the firmware version is empty.
T think this is the reaseon the T460 Needs 30 seconds to start booting.

Does anybody know how to solve the problem?
find
quote
#4
I have a very similar issue.
Something went wrong during the BIOS update and I was forced to spam the power button a few dozen times to even get the machine to boot up.
Not only that, but it wouldn't reboot at all, only shutdown.


I bought a CH341A kit, waited about two weeks for it to get to me, and I found a BIOS dump on via Win-Raid forum while I waited.
I cleaned the ME Region and flashed it, only to find it's for an 20FN model and not my 20FM.
BIOS version is up to date but ME Firmware Version remains empty in BIOS and takes almost thirty seconds to POST.
At least it's able to reboot now.

Let me know if you find a fix.
I'll do the same.
find
quote
#5
I got it sorted!

Here's a repaired, clean and up to date BIOS dump: https://anonymousfiles.io/QIUpCEAZ/
Flash it with the CH341A Programmer software.

To correct your MTM and Serial number, you can download the Lenovo Maintenance Disk and follow the directions to get it booted from USB: https://archive.org/details/i7tm38us

Once booted, select option 1.


Pay special attention to the format used to key it in.
1STTTTMMMMCCSSSSSSSS = 1S 20FM 123456 1234ABCD = Whatever is printed on the sticker under your battery without the hyphens.
TTTT = Machine Type
MMMM = Model Type
CC = Country Code
SSSSSSSS = Serial Number

Here's a video someone made on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trXyPlLjhcs
find
quote
#6
@S3NTYN3L 

Thank you very much for your help, the problem is solved now!

The BIOS file was damaged, the Inel ME files were missing.
I have found the win raid forum, too.
I have tried to clean up the BIOS, but it didn't work. I tried it with the manual, but I was not
able to make step 7, there was no option to select the needed function.


Anyway, i have flashed the BIOS from your post with the CH341A programmer.
The T460 worked fine with it.
After that, I installed a regular BIOS update with the App "Lenovo Vantage", it worked fine.
There was only the message, that there is installed a custom BIOS and if I want to keep a copy of it.
I made the update, it worked very well.

There was no need to edit or to change any serial numbers. 
My Laptop works fine now.

Thank you very much!
find
quote
#7
(03-19-2020, 09:11 PM)Shepard Wrote: ... custom BIOS and if I want to keep a copy of it.
I made the update, it worked very well.

There was no need to edit or to change any serial numbers. 
My Laptop works fine now.

The custom BIOS message was likely because I had a custom boot image instead of the default red Lenovo graphic.
Glad to hear that your flash kept your original MTM and Serial numbers.

Enjoy.
find
quote
#8
Is this dump still available?

The link no longer works.

Thanks.
find
quote
#9
Updated link: https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/76GcT0NS/file.html

Link only good until 02 SEPT 2022.
If anyone needs a copy after that, just drop me a PM and I'll do my best to repost a current link as soon as I can.
find
quote
#10
Sorry for spamming you: if possible please share the dump again. Thanks.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)