Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424174
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3560
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 223
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 254
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223825
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119104
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6741
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 356
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309524
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61906
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 569
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20223
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169161
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6267
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 772
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5739
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61119
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274954

Need Help accessing i2c EEPROM using a RasPi
#1
I want to edit the contents of a chip on my Notebook.
I am trying to read out the contents of an i2c ROM that's a NXP P24S08A.

Following along with resources online I got as far as trying the "i2cdetect" command on my Raspberry Pi. On my first try it read nothing.
[Image: i2cdetect-1.jpg]

I tried again and tried "To find the address of your i2c slave device." https://payatu.com/using-rasberrypi-as-p...cking-tool
This is what I got:
[Image: i2cdetect-2.jpg]

It looks like success - it's reading something. But I don't really know what I'm doing, and now I'm basically stuck.

I'll follow up with a post of why I'm doing this and what I've done already. The short version is:
I believe that my Lenovo Thinkpad S1 has a security password after after the supervisor password was entered wrong too many times. I believe this password to be on the Security Chip which should be this NXP P24S08A.

I have found a schematic of my motherboard which is why I believe this (however this is all new to me, and I don't trust myself to know what I am doing). Very much hoping to learn through the help of other's more knowledgeable on this forum.

Who has tried to access a security chip ROM that communicates over i2c and can tell me how to continue??
find
quote
#2
My Notebook I am trying to fix:
Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga S1 20C0 (i5, 8GB RAM)

My Problem:
I bought my Notebook of eBay 2nd hand, and I sadly had to find out that it had a Supervisor Password set. Very foolishly the supervisor password was entered wrong too many times (3 times).
Now upon switching on the Notebook, it immediately asks for a password, before a flash screen or booting or anything else (besides displaying error messages if for example I disconnected all the batteries).
The password it asks for shows a person next to a lock.

In the following thread it is described as a Supervisor Password by rumpumpel1
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Q...-removable

What I have done:
So far I have managed to read read the BIOS ROMs using a raspi + SOIC 8 clip and flashrom. I have flashed these ROMs with backups I have made from another Yoga S1 which had no BIOS passwords. This doesn't change anything.

I have found a schematic online for my motherboard and I have found a datasheet for PCA24S08A 1024x8-bit CMOS EEPROM with access as protection, as well as a datasheet for an Amtel AT24RF08C.

The the U11 chip on my motherboard is a NXP P24S08A.

What I have tried:
I tried removing all batteries (laptop Battery removed and disconnected CMOS battery).
I tried shorting the SCL and SDA pins.


What I believe I need:
I need to null the Security password on the Security chip (P24S08A).
find
quote
#3
The eBay seller didn't know the password. He sold me a working Notebook. It's only when I tried to enter the BIOS to activate the virtualisation feature of the CPU that I realised I couldn't change any BIOS settings.


After removing all the batteries I get the following displayed after turning the Notebook on:
0251: System CMOS Checksum bad - Default configuration used.
0199: System Security - Security password retry count exceeded.
Real Time Clock Error - Check Date and Time settings

Press F1 to enter Setup.

>after pressing F1 it asks for the password with the pictogram of a person next to a lock.



About shorting the SCL and SDA pins. I tried this last year. May be I failed to this this properly. I did not have a soldering kit to solder on wires, so I had used two probes latched on to the SCL and SDA pins each with a wire attached.
When the motherboard is connected to the monitor and the rest of the notebook, the P24S08A ROM is on the side of the access and inaccessible. That is why I do not know if I had good contacts.

Summary:
After trying those things last year I accepted that my laptop was bricked and put the brick into my wardrobe until such a day as I might have the proper hardware to fix it.

Now with the COVID-19 pandemic and shelter-in-place/lockdown, I can't do much. I have grabbed the tools I have and am trying to fix my Notebook again. It's a very expensive brick you see   Sad

The only tools at my disposal - my ancient Sony Vaio running Ubuntu 14.04, a Raspberry Pi, a breadboard, a SOIC 8 clip, some probes and some wires...
#FixAtHome
find
quote
#4
I meant to put this in the General Help section .....I think I'm too tired. Please advise me on all I did wrong
-be it by posting in the wrong section
-a suggestion for a better thread title
-information that's missing

Thank you
find
quote
#5
I've finally fixed my laptop! 


....with a simpler method. I was able to reset my BIOS passwords by shorting pins 5 and 6 on the NXP P24S08A (security chip?)


Like in the following link:
http://kinggeek.co.uk/tech-notes/item/46...r-own-risk
find
quote
#6
(06-30-2020, 07:53 PM)Georgy05 Wrote: I've finally fixed my laptop! 


....with a simpler method. I was able to reset my BIOS passwords by shorting pins 5 and 6 on the NXP P24S08A (security chip?)


Like in the following link:
http://kinggeek.co.uk/tech-notes/item/46...r-own-risk

thank you very much for this, was able to remove administrator password on my s1 yoga. took 10 minutes to do and didnt have to pay a cent  Smile
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)