Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: Sergio717
Today 05:17 AM
» Replies: 656
» Views: 167389
M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM3 Support Request
Last Post: Alxstroi
Yesterday 11:08 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 71419
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 10:51 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 6604
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-30 (A7CNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: carmelletomato
Yesterday 07:29 PM
» Replies: 46
» Views: 22099
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:04 PM
» Replies: 140
» Views: 41044
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Yesterday 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 109
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317320
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Yesterday 10:51 AM
» Replies: 509
» Views: 101115
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Yesterday 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2526
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Yesterday 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 345
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Yesterday 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55360
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64147
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4108
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
03-27-2024 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 154
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
03-27-2024 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 105
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52239
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 247
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 338
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 154
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 139

Not sure where to start, need to mod Dell screen resolution.
Hi All, I replaced the 14inch xga 1024*768 screen on my dell d510 with the 15inch sxga 1400*1050 from an older dell d505. The screen will only show up as 1024*768 in windows, I have tired a few things like powerstrip but can't get the screen to go above 1024*768. The d510 only ever sold with the xga 1024*768 screen and I suspect the bios is limiting the screen. I would like to mod the bios to allow the full resolution but I have no idea how much time it will take to go from knowing nothing about bios modding to getting a workable native resolution screen if it can be done at all. I tried looking for beginner guides but couldn't find any that are beginner enough. Can anybody point me in the right direction or give me a basic general idea of what is involved/needed to modify it
eg. request bios unlock -> use program x to search for what you want to modify -> use program y to modify it -> use program Z to compile it. (except I have never seen the inside of a bios so I am not sure what exactly I am looking for, how to modify it or compile it)

If anybody can give me an idea of how much time I will have to sink into this project it would be much appreciated so I can decide if i should walk away from it or not.

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, I couldn't find a say hello thread for first posts.
find
Hi!

I am new here myself. But one thing that comes to my mind is that you should first check if your graphics card can support the resolution you want. Also, make sure you have appropriate graphics card drivers for the computer, and not some generic VGA driver from Microsoft.

As to BIOS modding, I don't think it is impossible. Of course, nothing is impossible for the human mind. It's a matter of will. What's possible has already been done. It's the impossible that's really interesting. But of course, it all depends on where you're coming from. If you have the time and a strong will and enough basic understanding of the subject, then I think you can do it. You just need to believe it yourself! Smile

Now BIOS programming can get pretty advanced. You would need to learn assembly programming with x86. But you probably would not be looking at any real assembly code. My understanding is that all the major BIOS vendors out there (like Award, AMI, Phoenix) are proprietary and closed source. My understanding is that BIOS modders are only using simple tools for manipulating binary data of BIOS ROM images. I think some of these tools are kept secret by BIOS vendors but are eventually leaked on the Internet. Some of the tools are official releases by the BIOS vendors, some are third party tools. All these tools, these little programs come together to form a BIOS modders toolkit. Mostly, they are BIOS vendor specific. So what works for Award does not work for AMI, and vice verse. Some are used for writing/flashing BIOS image onto the chip, and reading the information back from it, like for backup. Some tools are used only for manipulating data. Like unlocking certain menu items and so on.

Think I got the hang of it?... well, I don't really know what the heck I'm talking about! Tongue No, seriously, I only understand the basic concepts. I have never looked at any hex tables in a BIOS programmer and such. But on a scale from 1 to 10... regarding difficulty... I would say that BIOS modding is at about 6 or a 7.

Now, true BIOS programming in assembly... that would probably have to be a 10! Not only because assembly programming is generally difficult, but because the programmer does not have full access to the BIOS code. The programmers who are hired to make BIOS updates for our motherboards don't get to see the full extent of the code. They too, much like modders, are only given a limited number of tools, and perhaps some kind of "core" code for a specific BIOS system (Award, AMI, or Phoenix) is licensed to them. So they too are pretty much working in the dark! It's then up to them to build something on top of that. In assembly!(!!!) Like adding modern features, such as USB functionality, Firewire, Thunderbolt, PCI, PCI Express and many more more. Not to mention the ever so popular overclocking functions! None of those existed back in the age of the original IBM PC.

Sorry for not being of much help here. But you can start by looking at the specifications to determine if it is possible, if the basic requirements are met. Don't forget to have a look at what drivers are used for your graphics card at the moment. It might be as simple as installing proper drivers. Now if you are going down the route of BIOS modding, start by identifying what BIOS system it is. Then you can have a look at the downloads section on this site.
find
(06-04-2015, 09:36 AM)d510 Wrote: Hi All, I replaced the 14inch xga 1024*768 screen on my dell d510 with the 15inch sxga 1400*1050 from an older dell d505. The screen will only show up as 1024*768 in windows, I have tired a few things like powerstrip but can't get the screen to go above 1024*768. The d510 only ever sold with the xga 1024*768 screen and I suspect the bios is limiting the screen. I would like to mod the bios to allow the full resolution but I have no idea how much time it will take to go from knowing nothing about bios modding to getting a workable native resolution screen if it can be done at all. I tried looking for beginner guides but couldn't find any that are beginner enough. Can anybody point me in the right direction or give me a basic general idea of what is involved/needed to modify it
eg. request bios unlock -> use program x to search for what you want to modify -> use program y to modify it -> use program Z to compile it. (except I have never seen the inside of a bios so I am not sure what exactly I am looking for, how to modify it or compile it)

If anybody can give me an idea of how much time I will have to sink into this project it would be much appreciated so I can decide if i should walk away from it or not.

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place, I couldn't find a say hello thread for first posts.

Give your bios and accurate configuration of the notebook.

User is not welcome on these forums after repeated abuse to site infrastructure and user base.  If you receive any unsolicited messages from a user account claiming to be "Oleh" or acting on behalf of Oleh, please disregard.
find
(06-04-2015, 10:50 AM)Oleh Wrote: Give your bios and accurate configuration of the notebook.

What if he wants it back? Wink

I think he is expecting us to fill in the gaps, just by knowing the model number of the computer. That is probably not the best idea when expecting someone to help you. He has to do his own homework of providing proper technical details.
find
Thanks for the background Fractalogic. I will try some other graphics drivers, probably a bit easier than putting a few years of my life aside to learn x86 assembly language. Smile

At the moment just using the graphic drivers from dell website. The computer can support much larger resolutions on external monitors but seems to be stuck on xga for the laptop screen.

Just tried the intel drivers but no luck.

Machine bios is here
http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/a...figuration

Notebook configuration is
intel 915gm/910gml graphics
pentium m 1.7ghz
all drivers are from the dell site except for the intel graphics driver I just tried. Not sure what other configuration is relevant.
find
Post info about original LCD type and model.
Post info about actual LCD type and model.
Could be a problem in LVDS cable,not all pins conected.
Old display is damaged or working?

Even in unusable state you can use external monitor for using some tools.

Search for some software to read EDID of both LCD panels.
Same producer of Powerstrip have this kind of soft.
Read EDID from both LCD panels and compare,if both are identical then is fake data in EDID (provided by BIOS or vBIOS)
That's why you are stuck at this resolution.
If EDID data is different then maybe is a limitation of vBIOS.
In many cases is one BIOS module that is vBIOS
starting header is 55 AA and contains word PCIR and hw id of video card
In that case Intel 80 86 XY ZC by example in format 86 80 ZC XY
xy zc can be number or letter combinatons.
Find this in device manager.

You may try to find other version that support higher resolutions.
find