Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST[ Acer Nitro 5 AN515-46 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: lifeislife93
Yesterday 03:03 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 6436
Add CPU support Lenovo M715s
Last Post: PapuhDave
Yesterday 12:35 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 14065
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
10-04-2026 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 147
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
10-04-2026 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424624
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
10-04-2026 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3668
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 339
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 239
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 361
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1225080
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119233
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 308
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6830
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 455
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309892
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 62020
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 674
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20333
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169483
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6416
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 878

[QUESTION] Lenovo T440p supervisor password removable?
#1
Hi,
I’ve been looking at snagging a dirt cheap Thinkpad off eBay to mod and use as my daily driver. However, many of the cheap listings I’ve found have locked bioses which makes the system useless and it’s impossible to install an os over usb. I did come across some information which seemed dubious but I’m happy to try i the if it’s comfirmed to work. It involves shorting the SDA and SCL pins of some security chip which would allow me into the bios and i could then erase the password. If this is not possible I’m happy to create dumps of chips as I have a flash programmer. 
True, I could spend £30 extra for a non locked machine but where’s the fun in that. The cheap laptops are perfect for me as I’m going to mod them anyway. 
I’ve found several for £80 on eBay, with one with a smashed screen for £70. 
Shorting things and soldering don’t scare me, I’m happy to take the entire thing apart if needed. 
By contrast a non locked t440p can cost £110-150, so if it’s recoverable I’m willing to take the plunge   

Thanks for your help
find
quote
#2
(11-22-2019, 06:59 AM)thatubuntuguy Wrote: Hi,
I’ve been looking at snagging a dirt cheap Thinkpad off eBay to mod and use as my daily driver. However, many of the cheap listings I’ve found have locked bioses which makes the system useless and it’s impossible to install an os over usb. I did come across some information which seemed dubious but I’m happy to try i the if it’s comfirmed to work. It involves shorting the SDA and SCL pins of some security chip which would allow me into the bios and i could then erase the password. If this is not possible I’m happy to create dumps of chips as I have a flash programmer. 
True, I could spend £30 extra for a non locked machine but where’s the fun in that. The cheap laptops are perfect for me as I’m going to mod them anyway. 
I’ve found several for £80 on eBay, with one with a smashed screen for £70. 
Shorting things and soldering don’t scare me, I’m happy to take the entire thing apart if needed. 
By contrast a non locked t440p can cost £110-150, so if it’s recoverable I’m willing to take the plunge   

Thanks for your help

A supervisor password (or BIOS passsword) has the only restriction, that almost all BIOS settings can't be changed anymore. So everything depends on the current settings. If all settings are set to their default, you will have almost no restriction. If the bootable devices have been all disabled except LAN, then the mainboard is pretty much useless. 

There are exceptions to  this rule: some Thinkpads lock up if you enter the wrong password three times (password count exceeded). Another exception occurs if the "Bottom Cover Tamper Detection" was enabled. By taking the laptop apart you violate this rule and again the mainboard will not start without the proper password.

Be sure that the mainboard has indeed a supervisor password set and not the power-on password. A power-on password makes the mainboard immediately unusable. You can distinguish between these two kind of passwords by the pictogram: the supervisor password shows a person, whereas the power-on password shows a monitor.

Now some facts about removing the password. There are people who know how to do that. In Germany you can find them on ebay-kleinanzeigen. Of course they will not advertise this service, because it's illegal. So you have to ask for that service and you get an answer by private mail. Removing the password for an X240 costs 30€, for newer models it's more expensive. I'm pretty sure there are also people in UK who know how to remove passwords.

I found in a forum an image for an X240, which did not remove the password, but it made the BIOS settings editable. May be something similar exists for the T440p.

Good luck!
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)