Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424187
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3563
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 225
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 165
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 256
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223875
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119108
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 237
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6743
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 358
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309539
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61907
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 571
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20226
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169166
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6271
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 774
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5741
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61122
How To Add SLIC 2.1 To An Intel Motherbo...
Last Post: Argogo
09-21-2026 11:15 AM
» Replies: 75
» Views: 274958

[Request] Dell Dimension 5100 "Incompatible Processor" Warning
#1
Hello,

I currently have a dell dimension 5100. I have upgraded to a P4 EE 3.73 (Prescott) 1066fsb. From checking other forums I have found others with similar specs who have upgraded to Pentium D 945. I tried a Pentium D 840 with no luck. I was hoping there was a way to mod my bios to increase support for pentium d chips.

My current spec from CPU-Z

Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.73 (prescott)
mobo dell 0j8885

bios v.A03
(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R129666&SystemID=Dimension%205100&servicetag=8PL8481&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=308&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=172847)

chipset i945 p/pl/g/gz rev a2 - Southbridge 82801gb (ich7/r) rev A1
find
quote
#2
Sorry but i cant find the microcodes in this bios so theres nothing i can do (Dell has their own special format which cant be opened using the standard bios modding tools that we have Sad)

Sorry
Admin
find
quote
#3
(03-27-2011, 08:18 AM)1234s282 Wrote: Sorry but i cant find the microcodes in this bios so theres nothing i can do (Dell has their own special format which cant be opened using the standard bios modding tools that we have Sad)

Sorry
Admin


Thanks for the attempt. Probably just saved me a couple bucks. I would have wanted to track down a Pentium d 960 if it had worked.

Cheers.

find
quote
#4
Hey Dim5100 ..

I'm using a Dell Dimension 5100 with the Pentium D 945 installed. There's no problem running that chip in this unit. On boot the system does return an "Incompatible Processor" warning but you can continue by hitting the F1 key. This CPU in the 5100 does make a difference. It's obvious right from the git-go. My Windows 7 score went from 4.4 to a 5.0... due to more processor calculations.

Anyway, that's not why I'm talking about this. I would like to know just how that P4 EE chip you installed worked out? That chip is considerably more powerful than the OEM P4 chips - way higher in wattage. Did you have any problems with overheating? One thing... this unit is supposed to be an 800 FSB system, and I see that the P4 EE you used is 1066? There was no problem with that aspect?

Let me know?

ns!
find
quote
#5
I have a feeling the reason the Pentium D 840 isn't working is because the VRMs on the motherboard are incapable of satisfying its immense power requirements.

The P4EE 3.73 has a maximum TDP of 115W, and a minimum TDP of 65W on later steppings, while the Pentium D 945 has a TDP of 95W. The Pentium D 840 has a ridiculous TDP of 130W and requires a very exotic cooler with heatpipes to keep from melting down (I briefly had both an 830 and an 840 and had to buy a $40 heatsink just for them.)

The i945 chipset actually supports core 2 duos up to 1066 MHz FSB, so you could easily get a Conroe E6x00 (which would be vastly superior in performance to any Pentium D.) You could probably safely use an E63xx/6400, and may be able to use a 6550 or 6700. On the budget end, you could grab any E5xxx, 4xxx, 3xxx, 2xxx or the rare Celeron 1xxx series Conroe chips with the 800 MHz FSB.
find
quote
#6
Hey Guys,
I have a Dimension 5100 as well. I'm looking to upgrade to the P4 672 http://ark.intel.com/products/27488/Inte...0-MHz-FSB) so I get VT-x. Will this chipwork on the stock motherboard?
find
quote
#7
Hi....My first post ...so take it easy !! Shy

Upgraded to a 945 Dual Core CPU  in a Dell Dimension 5100 ....and now have to press the F1 key to get past the "Incompatible Processor" warning..
Is there a bios mod to bypass the F1 key pressing !!!???

I've updated to bios A03.

Link to bios http://downloads.dell.com/bios/D5100A03.EXE
find
quote
#8
Show screnshots of CPU-Z (CPU and Mainboard tabs). What is old CPU?
find
quote
#9
[attachment=9426 Wrote:DeathBringer pid='100192' dateline='1443683193']Show screnshots of CPU-Z (CPU and Mainboard tabs). What is old CPU?

Here's the screen shots

   

   

   



Old cpu was pentium 4 541



find
quote
#10
Sorry I can't update microcodes in this BIOS.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)