Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:


Password:





[-]
Latest Threads
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15IAH7 BIOS unlo...
Last Post: yigmayo
Today 03:07 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 39
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E330 (H3E...
Last Post: kolnew
Today 08:48 AM
» Replies: 653
» Views: 424252
Dell Optiplex 5070 SFF i9 9900K
Last Post: DeathBringer
Today 01:43 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 3567
Extracting BIOS - Samsung Galaxy Book 3 ...
Last Post: mirroreduser
10-02-2026 09:12 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 232
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion g6-1b87cl WiFi Whi...
Last Post: AkiNakano6055
10-02-2026 12:32 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 168
Asrock Z890-C Bios Mod
Last Post: xul8tr
10-01-2026 12:51 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 261
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: frozik1990
10-01-2026 11:55 AM
» Replies: 1735
» Views: 1223996
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire VN7-791(G) BIOS Un...
Last Post: Whiter
10-01-2026 06:19 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 119116
Modifying Aptio V BIOS to disable non-fa...
Last Post: KappaDev
09-30-2026 09:16 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 242
[Unlocked] Acer Aspire One D255E
Last Post: ananinami
09-29-2026 01:26 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 6749
FANPEEC S210 i9-10980HK
Last Post: geometryczny@tlen.pl
09-29-2026 07:14 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 363
[REQUEST] Lenovo Z410 & Z510 (8DCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: anntoxx
09-28-2026 02:28 PM
» Replies: 504
» Views: 309583
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y70-70 (9ECNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Dooglas
09-27-2026 11:31 AM
» Replies: 92
» Views: 61916
[REQUEST] Lenovo E31-70 (AFCNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: kristian6237455372
09-27-2026 11:04 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 578
[REQUEST] HP dv6-6c51ca whitelist remova...
Last Post: johnyn2005
09-26-2026 12:52 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 20230
[REQUEST] Lenovo B590 (H5ETxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: katri
09-26-2026 02:03 AM
» Replies: 281
» Views: 169180
[Request] Dell Optiplex 3040M 7th Gen CP...
Last Post: DeathBringer
09-25-2026 12:35 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 6281
[Untested] Dell OptiPlex 3040 H110 – Cof...
Last Post: gonza20889
09-23-2026 02:02 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 778
[REQUEST] Acer TravelMate B113-E BIOS Un...
Last Post: rt400
09-22-2026 07:39 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 5745
[REQUEST] Acer Aspire 8930(G) BIOS Unloc...
Last Post: xeper8x8
09-21-2026 10:04 PM
» Replies: 59
» Views: 61132

SOP 8 to SOP 16 conversion for BIOS programming with CH341a programmer
#1
Hi,
I'm trying to save my bricked ASRock x470 Taichi motherboard. After a bios update it unfortunately doesn't boot anymore. Hence, I'm trying to program it with an CH341a programmer (MiniProgrammer). The bios chip on board is a 16 PIN, 1.8V Macronix MX25U25645GMI00 chip.

I have used the black version of the the programmer with a 1.8v converter (to reduce it from 5v) in combination with ASProgrammer (Windows) and IMSProg (Linux) tool. With both I was able to read out some 8 PIN chips with an SOP 8 testing clip.

Now I'm wondering how I can convert the 8 PINs from the programmer to attach it to the 16 PIN bios chip. I have a SOP 16 testing clip. Based on my research the PIN conversation should look as following:

8 PIN CH341 programmer -> 16 PIN SOP Testing Clip
1 -> 7 (CS)
2 -> 8 (MISO)
3 -> 9 (WP)
4 -> 10 (VSS)
5 -> 15 (MOSI)
6 -> 16 (SCK)
7 -> 1 (HOLD)
8 -> 2 (VCC)

I tried to do the conversion with with DuPont cables, but wasn't able to get any results. I'm aware that the SOP testing clips can be very finicky to attach, but at this point I'd still try to avoid soldering.

Does this PIN conversion look right?

Thank you!
find
quote
#2
For those who are interested a quick introduction about the CH341a programmer: https://www.onetransistor.eu/2017/08/ch3...matic.html

As well some background about IMSProg (Linux) and ASProgrammer (Windows):
- https://www.onetransistor.eu/2023/10/ims...linux.html
- https://www.onetransistor.eu/2018/11/use...ndows.html
find
quote
#3
(07-14-2024, 04:35 PM)MrWooh Wrote: Hi,
I'm trying to save my bricked ASRock x470 Taichi motherboard. After a bios update it unfortunately doesn't boot anymore. Hence, I'm trying to program it with an CH341a programmer (MiniProgrammer). The bios chip on board is a 16 PIN, 1.8V Macronix MX25U25645GMI00 chip.
I have used the black version of the the programmer with a 1.8v converter (to reduce it from 5v) in combination with ASProgrammer (Windows) and IMSProg (Linux) tool. With both I was able to read out some 8 PIN chips with an SOP 8 testing clip.
Now I'm wondering how I can convert the 8 PINs from the programmer to attach it to the 16 PIN bios chip. I have a SOP 16 testing clip. Based on my research the PIN conversation should look as following:
8 PIN CH341 programmer -> 16 PIN SOP Testing Clip
1 -> 7 (CS)
2 -> 8 (MISO)
3 -> 9 (WP)
4 -> 10 (VSS)
5 -> 15 (MOSI)
6 -> 16 (SCK)
7 -> 1 (HOLD)
8 -> 2 (VCC)
I tried to do the conversion with with DuPont cables, but wasn't able to get any results. I'm aware that the SOP testing clips can be very finicky to attach, but at this point I'd still try to avoid soldering.
Does this PIN conversion look right?
Thank you!

Hello.

I have found myself in a similar situation after a failed Bios flash on my Taichi x470 board because it lost power during the flash.
I have already obtained a ch341A kit but I got the 8Pin Test clip not realising the bios rom is 16pin so I will order one of those also.
I wanted to reply to you specifically to find out if there were any other difficulties you encountered you can give me a heads up about before I proceed. Also did you find the answer t your question regarding the pin order etc.

I'm about to go through the same ordeal so any tips and pointers appreciated.
find
quote
#4
(02-04-2025, 10:56 AM)SonixSquad Wrote: I'm about to go through the same ordeal so any tips and pointers appreciated.

Unfortunately, I didn't succeed so far with programming the chip. It is only my backup computer, so I didn't try too hard.

However, based on what I tried so far, I'm not entirely sure if the test clip will work. It is at least very challenging to attach correctly and quite a few blog posts about similar situation talk about de-soldering the chip and putting it in a proper chip reader.

Hopefully you have more luck than I did so far.
find
quote
#5
(02-04-2025, 12:07 PM)MrWooh Wrote:
(02-04-2025, 10:56 AM)SonixSquad Wrote: I'm about to go through the same ordeal so any tips and pointers appreciated.

Unfortunately, I didn't succeed so far with programming the chip. It is only my backup computer, so I didn't try too hard.

However, based on what I tried so far, I'm not entirely sure if the test clip will work. It is at least very challenging to attach correctly and quite a few blog posts about similar situation talk about de-soldering the chip and putting it in a proper chip reader.

Hopefully you have more luck than I did so far.

Okay, thanks for the response.
This is my main PC so I am keen to get it back online although I do have a backup I am using, the upgrade was intending to turn this into a server to host VM's and I don't plan on buying an x470 replacement board, the price on those are still around £150 for a 5-6 year old used board.

I'll post progress when i have some, I have ordered the 16pin test clip.
find
quote
#6
(02-04-2025, 12:07 PM)MrWooh Wrote:
(02-04-2025, 10:56 AM)SonixSquad Wrote: I'm about to go through the same ordeal so any tips and pointers appreciated.

Unfortunately, I didn't succeed so far with programming the chip. It is only my backup computer, so I didn't try too hard.

However, based on what I tried so far, I'm not entirely sure if the test clip will work. It is at least very challenging to attach correctly and quite a few blog posts about similar situation talk about de-soldering the chip and putting it in a proper chip reader.

Hopefully you have more luck than I did so far.

Quick update.

I also gave up lol. I was using the 16 pin clip and had to wait for the 1.8 volt converter to arrive but after a few hours I was not able to get the clip to sit correctly on the chip enough to get a reading. It just kept coming back as unknown. I did install the driver for the ch341a device which took me a step forward but after that nothing.

I just bought a newer board which on the plus side gave me pcie 4.0 and some extra nvme slots.
Board works a treat although I had to undervolt my 5950x because it was idling at 50c even with a custom loop and redoign the thermal paste made no difference. Undervolting is key it seems with this processor. 

Anyway good luck to anyone else trying this, might just need a bit more patience than me and I have a lot of that.
find
quote


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)